PLEASE MAKE POWERPLAY IN "OPEN ONLY"

If I wanted OOPP I'd be quite pleased with the way FDev handled the FSS/DSS thing:

Give players a new shiny toy whilst taking away the old one.
Ignore the yelling in the forum.
Wait 6 months to see how many people ragequit.
Accept losses of 1,000 or so players.
Move on.

I can see the new era adding spacelegs and OOPP. Enough players will stick around for legs, despite being mad about PP that overall it'll count as a win.

If I wanted OOPP I'd be quite pleased with the way FDev handled the FSS/DSS thing:

Give players a new shiny toy whilst taking away the old one.
Ignore the yelling in the forum.
Move on.

I can see the new era adding spacelegs and OOPP. Enough players will stick around for legs, despite being mad about PP that overall it'll count as a win.
I love the optimistic thinking!

Why ragequit after going OOPP?
Funny part is that even if PP go open or give meaningful rewards for "meriting" it in open, 99% of systems will be as safe as they were in solo/PG, only difference would be expansions and sometimes preparation systems, those create tactical war game elements, it's appealing for potential new buyers, and i think FD is aware of this, players who are more inclined for relaxed risk averse gameplay will still be able to help power by fortification and BGS, OOPP just enhance gameplay. Right now Elite offer little for competition inclined players, and i know several of them who quit, just because game doesn't deliver enough of this right now.
Let's start by giving 30% extra merits for doing stuff in open, and see what happen, of course after solving issues with pad blocking, maybe allowing PP modules via tech broker and so on.

Why ragequit after going OOPP?
Funny part is that even if PP go open or give meaningful rewards for "meriting" it in open, 99% of systems will be as safe as they were in solo/PG, only difference would be expansions and sometimes preparation systems, those create tactical war game elements, it's appealing for potential new buyers, and i think FD is aware of this, players who are more inclined for relaxed risk averse gameplay will still be able to help power by fortification and BGS, OOPP just enhance gameplay. Right now Elite offer little for competition inclined players, and i know several of them who quit, just because game doesn't deliver enough of this right now.
Let's start by giving 30% extra merits for doing stuff in open, and see what happen, of course after solving issues with pad blocking, maybe allowing PP modules via tech broker and so on.
I would dispute the need for 'bonuses'; just because you play in Open. The bonus is already there, you get to meet real people.

I would also say, that the NPCs, up their game, in the other modes. Simply based on the theory that in open play, the game and its programming is catering for the crowd; where as in Solo, the NPCs are 'tuned' to just you and your personal level of play.

Edit:- While we are here, could someone explain about power play bounties.

Example: I get an enemy power's NPC pull me from super cruise. It is wanted, it fires at me, hits me and when I take it out; I not only get a thank you bounty, but also get a bounty price on my own head. Why is that?

Last edited:
I would dispute the need for 'bonuses'; just because you play in Open. The bonus is already there, you get to meet real people.
It would be great if my usual power play opponents think same way, but somehow every time there is something important going on and there is real opposition of pvp guys, they disappear from radar, you only see merits they are making...

I would also say, that the NPCs, up their game, in the other modes. Simply based on the theory that in open play, the game and its programming is catering for the crowd; where as in Solo, the NPCs are 'tuned' to just you and your personal level of play.
level of power play npc's is on weaker side of spectrum compered to conflict zones and assassinations, they provide little challenge to even non engineered ship, and PP have no mechanics where merits possible to make through combat would be influenced by skill level of the player, its way too grindy, like too many things in elite. I would love to see overhaul with new PP enemies that offer more merits per kill, but are somehow challenging even for engineered ship (kind of wing assassination mission targets, but tougher)

Edit:- While we are here, could someone explain about power play bounties.

Example: I get an enemy power's NPC pull me from super cruise. It is wanted, it fires at me, hits me and when I take it out; I not only get a thank you bounty, but also get a bounty price on my own head. Why is that?
PP bounties work differently, wanted status of PP npc doesn't matter in terms of PP bounty you get, your PP bounty doesn't influence your rebuy cost, but provide trophy for PP enemies if they kill you.
My most recent finding is that FD changed how they work, now you can claim bounty from killing power play enemy cmdr's in non power play systems, happened to me in shinrarta, you don't even need KWS to claim bounties for other faction than one you are pledged.

Top Bottom