Engineers Plotting a 5K LY route for Palin - help please

I realise it's a morning stroll for some, but since I've never left the bubble I want to be clear on this before I set off. Just in case. What do I know already: * The galactic coordinates describe an X,Y,Z matrix * I'm starting at Sol (0,0,0) * I need to head towards the core to make sure I maintain a density of scoopable stars * I need to stay in the same horizontal plane (not deviate up or down) ditto * I need to stay in the same galaxy arm ditto * I *think* this up / down is described by the Y coordinate, but I'm not certain * I can plot routes up to 1K LY So some help please in suggesting target systems or even which one of the three coordinates I need to change via plotting a +/- 5000 delta from 0,0,0 would describe a 5K LY line between Sol and the core. Hope this makes sense and many thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You could head for HEN 2-215, its a nice little wolf rayet star in its own nebula approx 5200ly from sol.

Far enough away to get you that 5000ly distance and since its in the direction of the core you'll be fine for star density so long as youve got a minimum of 25ly jump range.

Dont worry too much about staying on the 0 plane, the stars dont start to thin out until approx 500ly above/below and sometimes youll need to go up or down to avoid a patch of non scoopable stars.

You can keep an eye your "distance from start" stat as you go along, its shown under exploration on the statistics tab.

Last edited:
I'm no explorer but have just done this, here is what I did if it helps.

In the map I went out straight in 1 direction until the star I hovered on was over 5000ly, and put a bookmark there.

As you can only plan a route upto 1000ly at a time I then went back to may start point lined up with my book mark and went straight at it until I got a star that was 900ish ly and plotted to it, if it plotted ok I placed a BM for ease of finding it again should I get a disconnect, repeat until I got to the final BM. sometimes you have to detour a little to find a route that will plot but generally was pretty straight.

Also when you zoom out on the map you can see where you have been from the BMs.

Just go a bit over 5k ly in distance straight - you can always check distance to your "home plate" - just leave a bookmark frm your starting point. No need to do vector maths here.

Aim towards Jacques station.
You can go above the Sol plane too.
You cannot plot route farther than 1000 Ly.

5000 Ly is not very hard. With a decent ASP or anything that jumps more than 34 Ly its less than 35 Jumps for 1000 Ly. That can be done in under 35 minutes. So 5000 Ly is under 3 hours.

Fly save out there, Commander

~S~

There was a CG on at Jacques station when I did my 5000 LY (of torture! ;)) and I used that as a reference to keep moving in a straightish line, I'd also suggest taking an SRV for some R&R and some rare mat collection.

On the return make sure you offset say 100 LY from the outbound trip to minimise scanning the same systems, the astronomical data sold to Palin will take you up to Level 3 so be careful out there!

I'm 3000ly out at the moment. Heading towards the Heart and Soul Nebula's. 40ly jump range. Not a single problem so far.
I was a bit hesitant about diving out there into the black. I started to plan etc, could I jump far enough, were there barren wastelands of unscoopable stars etc etc.

Wish I'd gone before now, it's so relaxing! Once I started getting the first discoveries it got better still! Beware, you could spend an hour or more scanning the big complex systems!
I have Jumponium mats etc but not sure I'll need them... All you need is a decent jump range and a destination.
I do ~500ly chunks, bitesize.
If you come to a less dense area pull your map up or down. There will be more stars Cap'n!
I don't jump at full range if I have less then a half a tank. Switch to economical, if the star density allows, until you hit a scoopable one, very safe :D and more Hooooooongggggggks....

The most important factor is fuel.

Not sure which ship you have, but recommended is an Asp Explorer with 5C fuel tank (32T) which has a range of ~200Ly, and also the most expensive fuel scoop you can afford.

Next step is
- Put a bookmark of somewhere >5Kly away on the system map. I'd probably go to about 5.5Kly just to be sure.
- Filter the stars to KGBFOAM type stars only, make sure plotting is set to "fastest route".
- Go back to your ship location and start navigating in ~150ly (or 0.75 * range if you're not in an Asp Explorer like above) increments towards the bookmark. i.e. find a KGBFOAM star ~150Ly away between you and the bookmark and head there.
- When you get to the 150Ly star, scoop until full. Highly recommended however is to ALWAYS scoop. HIGHLY recommended.
- REPEAT

This ensures that you can travel 150Ly without running out of fuel.

After a while you will find yourself naturally checking the fuel all the time and this ceases to become a problem.

Otherwise, make sure you pack detailed surface scanner and some shields. AFM is a good shout (two if you have room). Scan every system and stop to scan Earthlikes, ammonia worlds, water worlds and metal rich planets. Everything else is not really worth the time to be honest, although the high metal content planets that are terraformable pay well too (needs to be Goldilocks zone...google).

Enjoy the flight, get in to a rhythm, put some tunes on. Concentrate. Maybe add Non-sequenced stars in to the filter too and you can find some Neutron Stars/Black Holes.

o7

Last edited:
For Palin don't you need to go 5 K distant from your start position rather than 2.5 there and 2.5 back? Anyway I'm on same run at the moment. Heading to Trifid Nebula as my target as I always like to have a nebula as a goal.

Yes, you have to be 5k Lys away. So it's actually a 10k Ly journey unless you want to suicide back. I listened to Reclamation on my trip and enjoyed it.

I'm about to try the same thing to get to Palin. On the trip out are there places to dock for overnight save ?

I'm about to try the same thing to get to Palin. On the trip out are there places to dock for overnight save ?

Why would you need to dock overnight? Just log off away from the sun. Nothing is going to happen to your ship when you are logged off. You'll just appear in the same place you logged off at zero speed.

Plan in the Pleiades, they are breathtaking... and a black hole at least (not the small one in Maia)... After the sightseeing, go a bit up or down (250 to 500 ly) to get to the more undiscovered regions and then simply go out straight towards any point of interest you see on the map. Dont hast that trip. If you find an interesting world, take your time to land. If you see interesting undiscovered systems, claim them in full! Dont just go out and back in, have fun exploring! Its worth it :)

Why would you need to dock overnight? Just log off away from the sun. Nothing is going to happen to your ship when you are logged off. You'll just appear in the same place you logged off at zero speed.

Fair enough, I just feel safer when my ship is tucked up in a hangar over night :)

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Just exit the game in real space (speed zero) or landed on a planet and you'll be safe

~S~

Thanks

Top Bottom