Coaster Crazy Pocketgamer exclusive video with David B

I have to echo the dissapointment at waiting all this time to see that Frontier have put RCT3 and Thrillville into a meat grinder rather than really pushing the boundries. I understand that this coaster crazy thing for ios is a sandbox for better things to come but graphically it does look like a terrible regression.

I dont understand why Frontier feel the need to approach this release so cautiously. The message of easy building is loud and clear but I dont know why this is seems to be the main motivator when sales figures show many people know and like rollercoasters games and can competantly build them already even with a clunky interface.

There are enough fan made RCT4 trailers around the net to get a decent idea of how the next installment of the franchise could/should play and feel like. Micheal made it clear that this game would not be dumbed down in a previous post but still seems to under estimate peoples intelligence by the looks of the artistry on coaster crazy.
Frontier is prepared to make a game of theme parks like RCT3, so all in good time. Shame I would have to give Atari....

man,I was not expecting anything like this. the actual Coasters look fairly good and i guess the idea of drawing the coaster instead of placing individual pieces is ....innovative? don't like it personally.

but the way the "Peeps" behave? the way they look? thats a detail i won't be able to get past. i can already predict this game, IF i buy it, will get a THICK layer of dust on it.

as others have said, and as others will repeat, we want the next logical step in RCT. this is not it.

As I have said before, I think this game will be a great success, as it is probably one of the most detailed and well made simulation games for iOS that I have seen, and while it does have a cartoony look that everyone doesn't seem to like, it has really gotten my attention. This looks like a wacky and funny game, because of the look of the characters, and also the objectives of some 'levels' (I don't know if they will be levels or not but whatever). The coaster designer looks very well made, the supports/catwalks/little details are vastly improved over the previous games, and realism is essential for finishing the 'levels'. I'm looking forward to building something. You guys are being too harsh I find, because everyone had higher expectations. And remember, this is for iOS, Michael said more features will be added to the PC version.

You guys are being too harsh I find, because everyone had higher expectations. And remember, this is for iOS, Michael said more features will be added to the PC version.

too harsh? we are stating our honest opinions. Michael also stated the art will stay the same. for many, i'm pretty damn sure that alone will be a game killer.

I agree about the art style. It already has my interest completely lost on that aspect alone. If they had just went with that approach while keeping the rollercoaster building tool and made a more realistic feel and look for the PC version, then we'll be starting. Instead, the art style is apparently staying the same and this is the game they are basing their whole theme park catalog on in the future. Terrible. Seriously. There is a point in the video where a kid is dancing ON the rollercoaster. Who asked for that? Seriously...

I was hoping we would see something like a more free forming coaster editor over a more improved 3d graphic engine, but instead we waited for a lame portable game that is going to be ported to the PC, not the other way around. The editor may be fun, but the cartoony art and lack of a full use of modern computer graphics on the PC version is gonna probably turn me off to this game. I hope I'm wrong, but at the moment, I am completely disappointed about this after waiting for so long.

Brett C

Frontier
too harsh? we are stating our honest opinions. Michael also stated the art will stay the same. for many, i'm pretty damn sure that alone will be a game killer.

So if the art was still "bad" per say, but the games mechanics were fairly advanced - would you still be interested? :)

only way i can honestly answer that is to be involved in the Beta, and see what camera angles they have.

if there is a way to limit the face time of the seat dancing moron and his cohorts.........................we'll see. the ability to COMPLETELY ignore them would go a LONG way. if we only have to tolerate them in a way similar to the VIP's in RCT3 Career mode, only there for a VERY brief period of time....that would be good.

Last edited:
This is nothing.

Frontier FAILED AGAIN!

It is a stupid unrealistic game for 5 years old!
After 5 minutes you get borred of the game!
Mark my words.

This game is the perfect contrary of what we want. We're waiting for a realistic game and we've got a cartoon for 5 years old boys ! Why do you want our suggestions if you don't follow them ?

This game is the perfect contrary of what we want. We're waiting for a realistic game and we've got a cartoon for 5 years old boys ! Why do you want our suggestions if you don't follow them ?
Because this is a beginning of a series of game titles theme parks, The editor of rollercoaster is very good. Hold on to future titles that Frontier may have a surprise. ;)

Most five year old boys won't be able to complete the challenges.

At first I was apprehensive of the cartoon graphics, but then I started to warm up. I like the coaster track, it stands in direct contrast to the cartoony 'peeps'. I think I'll like this game for what it is, a mobile coaster builder. The drag and draw builder seems intuitive and I'm eager to try it.

Would I love a RCT4? Absolutely. But who's to say a full theme park simulator won't make it to the PC version. This is still a work in progress and I'm keeping an open mind. Definitely bummed to have missed the beta sign ups.

I'm beginning to think of Coaster Crazy as an engine of sorts, to use in future games. If the coaster building aspect gets high marks... or low marks, Frontier will be able to use the info to go to the next step. I think Frontier wants us to check it out, and a cheap game makes it possible to test the tech out. I hope that I'm right on my thinking, Frontier!

Last edited:
Top Bottom