Newcomer / Intro Point me in the right direction - and shove

I'm relatively new to Elite Dangerous. Really enjoying it, even Odyssey. I'm mainly into exploration and problem solving, rather that killing everything in sight. I think I have mastered a lot of things and I have a bucket list of other things that I need to research. One of those is when I see tutorials and think "How the hell did people figure out how to do that". I've done the ancient ruins mission that starts at FELICE DOCK in the MEENE system and a couple of others. If I had not seen the YouTube videos and websites giving step by step instructions, I would never have been able to even start the quest. So where did people figure out where to go and what to do? Is the answer buried in the Codex or the Galnet? Or does the whole thing rely on a community talking to each other to figure it out. I would much prefer to try and figure out the trials myself rather than just follow a script, but I need a little help to get started.

One of the things I have only just heard about is the lore of the Hesperus Event. From which I can gather is on a second of a six phase story. Am I too late to join in this? I'm on my way to the Perseus Dark Region KC-V c2-2 system in the hope that I will get a belated message from Salvation.

Perhaps I am just too old fashioned to know the places to go and people to talk to. I do find the documentation a little lack lustre. I am a software manager and this sort of thing makes me cringe. And don't get me started on shipping a product to customers before the software has been properly tested!!!

I have learn about third party tools such as EDSM, EDDB and Inara. I just feel that I am missing something? I have never been great at social media and rarely do forums (except when I get stuck). And yes, Discords are on my research bucket list.

So please, point me in the right direction and give be a hefty shove.

The ancient guardian mission existed before the codex if my memory is correct. Regardless, all of the big complex things that have been discovered have been done by hard work, countless hours of scanning planets (seriously, flying upside down and flying over entire planets looking for stuff), community collaboration, a lot of ingenuity, a lot of conspiracy theories, and some luck. When something is discovered or mentioned on Galnet, lots of people investigate and share findings and ideas. I applaud these huge efforts and there’s no way I would have the time or resolve to do these kinds of things.

Last edited:
So where did people figure out where to go and what to do?
Regarding the Ram Tah mission: with a lot of patience, trial and even more error. If you like solving stuff like that, maybe the Canonn Group (they also have a discord somewhere) might be something for you.

Back to the Ram Tah mission and the Obelisk scanning: we were given the mission. That states that you can scan the Obelisks, and ISTR that there also was some idea around that you needed the correct (combination of) Guardian artefacts in your SRV hold in order for the scan to work. From there on, some patient CMDRs figured out which of the symbols shown on the Obelisks related to which artefacts. Others searched and mapped the various Guardian ruin sites and which Obelisks would give you which scans and where. Given enough people and some time, it's just a matter of patience.

You can still do it this way - read Ram Tah's mission description, IIRC he points you to a first ruin site. Nowadays, you even get the Guardian civilization marker in the GalMap. Back then, we had to jump through all the systems in the promising regions and do a surface scan of the planets. Which means that even a couple of years later, there were still new Guardian sites popping up.

Yes, it was a collaborative effort - as a single CMDR, you would probably still be working on it. But that's how ED is designed.

Top Bottom