Polarbears

We recently got confirmation that is going to be fixed. Just use the tundra biome and North America filters (and Europe and Asia for the polar bear) for Arctic animals. A few unsuitable foliage doesn't take off that much from welfare anyway. Nice looking fake trees though!
Oh cool! Didn't know that!
I think I'll wait for the update to make a foliage version. I kind of like the challenge in a way.
And thank you! The trees are also fully recolourable too 😉

Yes, i read through the revision as well. I checked the CatSG website: for lions they do say the P.l.leo and P. l. melanochaita are accepted, wheras for tigers they still list the old 9 subspecies and propose the 2 subspecies P. tigris tigris and P. tigris sondaica.
I think according to that file it is a final decision and not a proposal. The website might simply be out of date. Also I couldn't see P. leo persica anywhere.

Hello, new player here. I have been playing this game for only about a week now. I will admit, I was already frustrated with the lack of being able to snap barriers to the paths. I understand the want to give the bears space, but this is absolutely ridiculous! They require a darn continent all to themselves!! I first build some decent sized habitats for my African animals, but the people were complaining about the view of the animals despite me having EVERYTHING up against the one sided glass. So I sized them down a bit. Still a decent size, but not as many complaints. I still get yellow complaints about the view distance, but I also get a lot of green compliments on the view. So I figured that size would do, and continued to build more habitats of the same specifications. Then I got to the polar bears. Frontier.... I dislike you at the moment. First they did not like the original design I had, it was too small. Okay, so I took 10+ hours, watched, paused, and re-watched a PaulsLey video on YouTube, and I built my own, XXL polar bear habitat. It wasn't completely done, I wanted to add more decor, trees, rocks, etc. So I happily added in the polar bears, and WHAM: Protesters galore! How can I have EVERYTHING 99-100% for the polar bear EXCEPT for the 'space', and only have a 22% welfare. I rage quit right then and there. This was a nightmare, a horror story in the making for any creative gamer. I tried my darnest, I even made a underground viewing area for the swimming area. I hand made an igloo shelter. The bears are happy enough to mate, but SO miserable that protesters come and ruin my zoo?! I am outraged. Not only was my habitat too small, but it is less than half the size it needs to be?! PLEASE fix this. It is EXTREMELY aggravating.
-CodyBug

Attachments

• F Polar Bears Again.jpg
    F Polar Bears Again.jpg
    438.2 KB · Views: 325
  • F Polar Bears.jpg
    F Polar Bears.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:

While I agree that the space requirements are absurd for the bears, you might benefit from providing more water area for them, as that seems to be the lowest. If you can at least get water in the green while maintaining the land area in the same place it currently is (based on your screenshots) then you might be able to get away with it.

Animals in zoo's don't have to roam the long distances for food like they do in the wild. Siberian/Amur Tigers have a huge territory in the wild that could never be replicated in any zoo. The space requirement for Polar Bears in game doesn't match anything I have seen at Zoo's in the United States or Canada (Toronto). You could make an argument that such species shouldn't be in any zoo, but zoo's also play a role in conservation of such species. There are animals that are extinct in the wild, but still exist in zoo's and some that have been reintroduced into the wild. The releasing of animals is a significant mechanic of this game.

Yesterday I found this old article and I understood why they didn't include arctic fox in the Arctic Pack: given how much space was needed for polar bears, a single fox would have required the whole map of PZ!
Obviously, just kidding. I think this settles the "a bear zoo enclosure is one-millionth the size of their wild home range" claim/meme. Home ranges only reflect how difficult is for an animal to get food in their natural habitat, nothing to do with how much space the animal needs to be happy/healthy.

753.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I found this old article and I understood why they didn't include arctic fox in the Arctic Pack: given how many space was needed for polar bears, a single fox would have required the whole map of PZ!
Obviously, just kidding. I think this settles the "a bear zoo enclosure is one-millionth the size of their wild home range" claim/meme. Home ranges only reflect how difficult is for an animal to get food in their natural habitat, nothing to do with how much space the animal needs to be happy/healthy.

753.jpg
:D :D :D This was a good one, thanks for that.

Top Bottom