Police license/Role variety

Was about 30 Ls from Kaku orbital where I was heading to dock to finish off my contract, when I came across a USS. I got curious and decided I would investigate, perhaps someone needed my help.
I jumped in and found a hauler being picked on by a cobra, obviously this hauler was brave(or stubborn) and refused to give up his cargo.
I decided I would come to his aid and assist in securing his safety, so I laid into the troublesome cobra with 2 pulse lasers, didn't care about his bounty(or him being overpowered) I just wanted to help someone in need.
I managed to scare him off with some clever manouvering and some laser incentive. Was happy to help out this hauler. We then both went our separate ways.
This was probably the most immersive I have ever been in Elite and without even noticing it. I loved it and want MOAR.
I have to be honest, I rarely have these moments. I don't know why, maybe because I find Supercruise un-immersive or I'm awaiting the impeding wipe of doom.
Which got me thinking about this encounter. I would love it if FD introduced a police career role. I would love to earn my police wings/security license.
Sure there is bounty hunting, but that doesn't truly appeal to me. Sure it sounds cool when you think about it. But I would love to increase my standing throughout a system/systems by serving some time as an officer then maybe later switch to bounty hunting and then retire as a trader.
That kind of a story attracts me. Both ships were NPC's BTW.

Some ideas to add.

A police role could offer system stability for those looking for a safe haven. Right now authority vessels are useless for traders. Perhaps we will get "pings" of crimes in progress and extended supercruise comms for police. Or even ask players to pull over instead of forced interdiction.

No "thanks" from the hauler was largely annoying but didn't take me out of the moment. Voice acting would be incredible I can just imagine hearing the hauler pilot breathlessly thanking me while his fire alarm was going off coming through the radio, that would be amazing. Goosebump moments like that would be out of this world (pun intended).

Or perhaps I interdict you, and take your wanted passenger into custody, or I have to reluctantly destroy you both or vice versa. Maybe I'm a corrupt cop and we work out a payment if that were possible.

Here's a poll I did a while back. https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=67566&highlight=

Additionally if you have a police license you should get a cash bonus when you cargo scan someone who has illicit/stolen goods and a fine is placed on them.

Also firing in no fire zones and friendly fire against stations and feds could be ignored so you can better snag criminals heading in and out of the port. (I'm looking at you bounty hunting trailer)

I like this idea; perhaps you could take a contract as local system security and have a licence to patrol/scan/interdict/destroy within a specific jurisdiction?

Had been thinking along these same lines myself. I do feel that to implement it you would need to be at a certain level of trust with a faction (unfriendly is not a good start for a cop), that way you could broaden the scope to the major factions and only have to get licensed for independent systems. Maybe even a general license as an "Independent security contractor" to cover you for bounty hunting and sub- faction rep decrease.

Top Bottom