Newcomer / Intro Positional Awareness when undocking

How am I supposed to avoid crashing into ships inside stations who are not in my FOV when the radar doesn't kick in until I'm way above the docking pad?

Talking about when undocking, obviously. :) Never crashed into anyone yet, but just came really close in my Cutter.

I wouldn't worry about it.
It's not likely to happen very often, and even if it does then you'll only dent your shields.

You can set up headlook on a few keys, and look up. But mostly, don't worry about it, and you won't get a fine for bumping into other ships as long as you keep your speed under 100 m/s.

All the above, but in addition you can also hear the thrusters of ships near by that are closing in. I use this more often then anything else.
If it sounds close chances are their is a ship nearby, at which point i will use the other options listed above.
Most of the time NPC ships will take off straight up then align to the mail slot. So when we take off if we follow the same procedure it is unlikely that any NPC ship will be close enough to our landing pad that we wont catch them before the radar switches back to standard.

Now getting out the mail slot with blind NPC's is another matter.
"Make room for larger vessels" Well that's obviously me. so move aside DBX!.. Wait what are you doing trying to leave at the same time as my Cutter? no no by all means go ahead ill just scoot over so im scraping paint with the mail slot walls.

Your radar kicks in when you are leaving the loitering zone. That is a space which is cuboid around the landing pad and about 200m tall (smaller for smaller pads)
If you are in that zone without landing persmission, you are fined and liable for all accidents. No ship has any business being there.
So if there is any ship directly above you while you're taking off, by all means push it out of the way.

I appreciate all of the responses to my question, particularly those that make it clear I shouldn't worry too much about it. Some of the responses were of great help and others were just entertaining...some were even both. So thank you all.

Hit boost as you lift off so that you are moving into the space that is in your field of vision.

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Do you want me to wait until you're here to watch first?

All the above, but in addition you can also hear the thrusters of ships near by that are closing in. I use this more often then anything else.

Turns out this was the most useful piece of advice for me....I never really noticed until you said it, but yah...those engines are loud when other ships are right on top of you.

My new Cutter has more drift than most of the other shifts I've flown and I can be ...aggressive...with my vertical thrust. Now I don't worry too much about it unless I hear those loud engines near me. So thanks!

May I recommend Shadowplay for livestreaming?

Already have it, all set up for Twitch even, if I wanted to stream this game all I'd need is to tap the hotkeys.

Use this for motivation:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVq9LScLQ7k

(I think he topped that run in a later attempt by a few secs)

Turns out this was the most useful piece of advice for me....I never really noticed until you said it, but yah...those engines are loud when other ships are right on top of you.

My new Cutter has more drift than most of the other shifts I've flown and I can be ...aggressive...with my vertical thrust. Now I don't worry too much about it unless I hear those loud engines near me. So thanks!

Already have it, all set up for Twitch even, if I wanted to stream this game all I'd need is to tap the hotkeys.

Honestly, if you're flying a Cutter (god I love that thing. :) ), you don't really have to care. Just don't exceed the speed limit and you'll be fine.
The worst thing that can happen in a Cutter during a collision is that the slightly audible "Ptung" sound is going to mildly annoy your honoured guests on board.

Honestly, if you're flying a Cutter (god I love that thing. :) ), you don't really have to care. Just don't exceed the speed limit and you'll be fine.
The worst thing that can happen in a Cutter during a collision is that the slightly audible "Ptung" sound is going to mildly annoy your honoured guests on board.

LOL, this is true. I just like to at least pretend to try to fly politely.

I also love the Cutter. Fell in love with it the first time I saw one landing in front of me in a station. It was another commander and they had a really nice paint job on it too, which I'm sure helped sell it. Getting the rep to buy one went on my "todo" list immediately.

I was thinking about suggesting that the ADC also work in reverse, as a undocking computer to fly you out of the station and to be smart enough to avoid collisions.

But, that will never happen.

Wouldn't matter, I don't have a size 1 slot available in the ship in question anyway and I sure won't waste a slot larger than size 1 on what is just a glorified "I feel like being lazy" module. I do use one in a few of my ships....cause they did have the slot available and I do often feel like being lazy. :D

Top Bottom