Astronomy / Space Possibilities of 30 and 90-day expeditions to Mars

Slough said his team has already calculated the possibilities of 30 and 90-day expeditions to Mars using a rocket powered by fusion. Not only would the trip be quicker, but it would also be more practical and less costly, according the research team.

Each portion of the process has proven successful in lab tests, but Slough said researchers still need to combine each of those isolated tests into a final experiment that will produce fusion using the newly developed technology.
fp-rocket_2-300x232.jpg

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/FusionDrivenRocket?feature=watch

Last edited:
yes it really puts things in perspective on how huge our solar system is, yet people moan when they are stuck in a traffic jam or take the scenic route on a bus. Imagine taking nearly 6 months to get to work.

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
Thats a long way :eek:

I'd take a flask and sandwiches :D and maybe a book.

Im confused slightly...

Its interesting that NASA Documentarys say the commands take 20 minutes to reach the Mars rovers because the signals travel at the speed of light...In the next breath i hear nothing can travel at the speed of light except light..

Kind of confusing

However im guessing if the ships could go that fast we would get there in 20 mins as well..

Im confused slightly...

Its interesting that NASA Documentarys say the commands take 20 minutes to reach the Mars rovers because the signals travel at the speed of light...In the next breath i hear nothing can travel at the speed of light except light.

You can use light to transmit signals! Lighthouse, fibreoptics, lasers... any of those ring a bell? ;)

That's not what they use, but hey ho. :p Oh okay, I see how it's confusing!

Last edited:
Exactly my point......they cant be using radio waves ...way to slow.....
Laser beams i guess would be more plausable but it must be something that carries some sort of data considering they recieve photos in 20 mins as well

Perhaps there hiding something and using alien technology :D

Electromagnetic waves includes radio waves so yeah! Light itself is an electromagnetic wave. Are you still confused!? ;)

Nasa's explanation

Still do not say what they use though ...

The data rate direct-to-Earth varies from about 12,000 bits per second to 3,500 bits per second (roughly a third as fast as a standard home modem). The data rate to the orbiters is a constant 128,000 bits per second (4 times faster than a home modem). An orbiter passes over the rover and is in the vicinity of the sky to communicate with the rovers for about eight minutes at a time, per sol. In that time, about 60 megabits of data (about 1/100 of a CD) can be transmitted to an orbiter. That same 60 megabits would take between 1.5 and 5 hours to transmit direct to Earth. The rovers can only transmit direct-to-Earth for at most three hours a day due to power and thermal limitations, even though Earth may be in view much longer.

Mars is rotating on its own axis so Mars often "turns its back" to Earth, taking the rover with it. The rover is turned out of the field of view of Earth and goes "dark", just like nighttime on Earth, when the sun goes out of the field of view of Earth at a certain location when the Earth turns its "back" to the sun. The orbiters can see Earth for about 2/3 of each orbit, or about 16 hours a day. They can send much more data direct-to-Earth than the rovers, not only because they can see Earth longer, but because they can operate their radio for much longer since their solar panels get light most of the time, and they have bigger antennas than the rovers.

Electromagnetic waves includes radio waves so yeah! Light itself is an electromagnetic wave. Are you still confused!? ;)

Ok you beat me to it :)

Mind you they say a third as fast as your home modem...I think they use Talk Talk :D

LOL..marsrover@talktalk.com

Last edited:
Im confused slightly...

Its interesting that NASA Documentarys say the commands take 20 minutes to reach the Mars rovers because the signals travel at the speed of light...In the next breath i hear nothing can travel at the speed of light except light..

You're not the only one who's confused. If you want to win a quick Nobel Prize Synch, a tidy up of the Theory of Everything is still very much MIA.

Light is an Electromagnetic Wave. People who talk about 'photon packets' are mostly just trying to make the maths easier. Waves though have a continuous anologue shape and the maths soon gets pretty tough.

Especially so as a rising / falling electric field, in a wave, induces a magnetic field perpendicular to itself. This in turn affects the original electric field, and they almost dance together, oscillating in an electro-magnetic wave.
And that's just one wave! We live in a whole sea of ripples crossing every which way and interfering with each other .. it's such a complex system that Quantum Mechanics resolves out the smallest known dimension, the Planck Length (1.6 × 10-35 metres) which is described as being a bit like 'foam', maybe being something like the 'choppiness of the sea'.

Ordinary waves are in themselves quite interesting.
In an ocean the water doesn't actually move; each molecule describes a circle as a wave passes through. So even light doesn't really travel at the speed of light in a way, because nothing actually goes anywhere only the 'little shockwaves' do. Shockwaves can move faster than the medium they travel in for this reason, or put another way, all you need is for the molecule next door to 'notice' that it's neighbour moved, this is 'knowledge' so can move very quickly. It doesn't have a physical constraint other than 'how closely the molecules in line are watching each other'. Some theory may say that this has something to do with the Planck Length.

As for the 'speed of radio', Radio uses the same electro-magnetic force interaction but with a longer wave-length. Length as measured in metres.

Visible Light has a high frequency, around 10E+15 cycles per second. In that second the electro-magnetic wave can travel 300 million metres, 'lightspeed'; each 'wave', one cycle, has a length, by dividing up, of between four and seven hundred nano-metres. (1 nm = 10E-9 metres).

FM Radio uses electromagnetic frequency (decodable by a receiver) of about 100 million Hz, so visible light vibrates another 10 million more times each second than an FM radio signal does, FM wavelength is around one metre.

Deep Space radio may perhaps use Long Wave; the quantum foam doesn't interfere with it as much and the wave can penetrate further into deep space without dissipating. (Low pitch sound-waves also travel further, for similar reasons). Long Wave radio wavelengths are measurable in kilometres but are still electromagnetic in nature, and still being a shockwave, 'the signal' still travels at the speed of light.

As for what does the wave travel in, isn't space a vacuum? This is most likely the 'dark matter'/'dark energy' conundrum for which, reader, if you do win a Nobel Prize, maybe you'll remember me if I got you thinking. ;p

I wonder if DB has any plans to include this fusion engine in the game.

In 2000 years time that will be used to run kids toys probably

This is whats bugging me a little

What we will have in the age of elite hasnt even been thought of yet
People expect to see todays tech in elite when in reality DB needs to go with theory..

2000 Years is so far away advancements would be incredible and unthinkable to us right now...I did say in another thread where people were working out artificial gravity but using todays tech.....But in reality....Maybe something mixed with oxygen could give us air and an artificial pressurised gravity..Who knows...Its a long way off

It really could be that simple and just accepted as common in the future like putting lights in your garden shed today ....Just my thoughts :)

PS...Its a bit like Star Wars and the millenium falcon.....Everyone walked about quite normal inside it and nobody ever questioned why. All they did was shut the door and take off :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom