Possible to create packs ?

Is it possible to make a pack of items as one submission/workshop item?

Let's say I have a set of walls in different sizes, with doors, with openings etc. It will be a bit tedious to submit one by one, both in the toolkit page and in the workshop. [weird] Especially since it takes so long until it's ready to download, and check in-game, and only then discover something is wrong..

If this in fact is possible now, did I miss anything? :)

Brett C

Frontier
Evening!

As Nupol stated, you will need to make the items into a collection on the steam workshop.

1) To create a collection, head to https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=493340&browsesort=trend&section=collections
2) Click on "Create Collection".
3) Set the title to something basic, memorable, easy to associate with.
4) If you've an image to associate to the title, upload it on the next step.
5) Descriptions support basic BBCode, input some info of what your collection is, what each item does, etc.
6) What kind of collection: set to "items that work together".
7) Set the category for the collection to scenery and ugc.
8) Click Save and Continue
9) Click the tab named "Items You've Published"
10) Click each item you want to associate to the collection. You will see the row turn blue with a check box rather grey.
11a) If Desired, organize the items in the list below by dragging them around.
12) Save and Continue.
13) If you've a background image overall to use, upload it on the final page.
13a) If you've a video or additional images, you can upload them as well once you've uploaded the initial image.
14) Click the white "Publish" bubble-button at the top.

I see what you mean, but that's not what I asked for. I interpret it as "it's not possible, and it's not going to happen'.

What I request or would like is packing like this;
- Model your assets. Example: 3 wall segments, two columns, one entrance/arc, fence and fence poles.
- Group each asset (with their own respective LODs) in locators/groups (whatever they're called in your 3D app)
- Assign separate materials for each asset (or use a shared texture one to save space!)
- Zip it and upload
- Check, build, download
- Add the file to the mod folder. In-game, you get all these as separate items!

The reason I ask is I can see myself pulling hairs if I make a big kit consisting of a lot of assets which in turn is supposed to be used together, but have to wait an hour or more just to be able to test it in-game. Worst case I figure there's something wrong and I have to fix the issue, upload and wait another hour+ to see if it was fixed.
T E D I O U S ! :)

but have to wait an hour or more just to be able to test it in-game. Worst case I figure there's something wrong and I have to fix the issue, upload and wait another hour+ to see if it was fixed.
T E D I O U S ! :)

Hi, just wanted to let you know that Sam mentioned something about this in last night's stream --> using photoshop to preview.

At 28.30 : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Op8xowhWlTo

(Don't know if it's the answer to all your previewing/testing needs as I'm not a modeller)

It's not the same thing at all. :) They were talking about using masks to preview color adjustments.
The errors could be related to roughness, metallic, normal, even the mesh or a LOD that doesn't look right.

Let me draw a picture for you caterpillar.
Imagine you're building a LEGO house. You already have the blueprint, you know what pieces you need, where it will go etc. But you can only buy one piece at a time, go home, put it where it belongs, and go back to the store to buy the next. Wouldn't it be nice if you could bring them all with you at the same time? [yesnod]

It's not the same thing at all. :) They were talking about using masks to preview color adjustments.
The errors could be related to roughness, metallic, normal, even the mesh or a LOD that doesn't look right.

Let me draw a picture for you caterpillar.
Imagine you're building a LEGO house. You already have the blueprint, you know what pieces you need, where it will go etc. But you can only buy one piece at a time, go home, put it where it belongs, and go back to the store to buy the next. Wouldn't it be nice if you could bring them all with you at the same time? [yesnod]

Yep, I totally got that [happy]
but since that isn't possible I thought perhaps the photoshop check could be of help with at least ruling out some things beforehand thus maximizing chance of a succesfull model in game the first upload.
But if it's only really useful for colour usage, yeh, that's that theory down the drain [big grin]

(edit: missing words)

Last edited:
(or use a shared texture one to save space!)
[my opinion throughout]

This is my sticking point -- I'm working on some Holstein-colored cows (one or two dairy {one of those animated}, a calf, and a bull) intended to make a small herd. It's a ridiculous waste of resources to give them all different texture maps, of course they should share -- we know that's how the art-devs are doing it! It's standard practice for 3D game assets. But currently we don't get to do that. Hopefully after the kinks are worked out of the system for a few months.

Top Bottom