Horizons Potential Horizons Buyer, Many questions!

ED:H is unique in the fact I can pick up a mission, fly several systems, locate the planet the base is on, enter orbital flight, go into glide and then fly over the planet surface to the base and land. WoW! that's quite something. If you like the look and feel of the planet/moon, you can take off, travel some distance away from the base and just land, enter an SRV and go exploring, amazing experience which with added season patches etc, can only get better. I really don't see how any other space game/sim will ever beat the sheers scale of it all tbh. David and the team are geniuses cant wait for the avatars coming soon too, you'll probably need Horizons for that, I would grab it now for 25% off.

edit: I don't use steam for ED:H I bought it from the shop, you can of course generate a steam key from your account, I did, but I dont use the steam just the normal launcher, gotten used to it now. It kind of feels extra elite not to use steam ;)

Last edited:
I also would like some clarification. Horizons for $59.99 and Beta for $74.99. Why, what's the difference?

Last edited:
I also would like some clarification. Horizons for $59.99 and Beta for $74.99. Why, what's the difference?

Access to play on the test servers when updates forming part of Horizons are being beta tested and balanced. Basically only necessary it if you absolutely have to try every bit of content on day -1.

Well I gave in and just purchased Horizons via steam. Lol

However! It's currently downloading... But now I can't launch the original ED game to play while it downloads... :-(

So sad. So strange!

I also tried to copy/move the contents of ED to the "downloading" folder for ED:H, but steam is still downloading the entire thing all over again anyway. Lol

Does anyone know the exact path steam puts ED:H?

Wooh! It's done!

Another question!

I've fitted my Python with a hangar and 2 SRVs. And I was just gonna go land (aka crash) on the nearest planet. But I don't wanna drop in to a 5000G planet by accident. Lol

How do I tell what the G on a planet is?

Is it the "Earth masses" or something else?
Seems like it should be obvious but I'm not that sciencey so I've just been looking for "G" Lol
Googlings isn't usefull either, it keels trying to correct the letter G. Lol

It's in the details on the system map. Use ADS + DSS for a full scan on unknown planets. If you don't have those, use the mass expressed as number of earth masses as a guide; bodies not made of exotic materials that are 1 earth mass or less won't throw up any surprises.

3g in a large ship can already be tricky, take care.

Never mind, figured that out too.Lol

Next question/issue.

I can't seem to assign any controls for the Srv to my Xbox controller. All the flight functions work as before. But ED Wong let me input steering and things....?

Nevermind again! Lol
It's sorted.
Just spent a few minutes driving around.

Nothing to see. So I'm back in space doing what i do. Lol

I did see some sort of building, but by the time I figured out my controls. It had vanaished.... Lol

Access to play on the test servers when updates forming part of Horizons are being beta tested and balanced. Basically only necessary it if you absolutely have to try every bit of content on day -1.

OK ... so what is the answer to his question (and mine). What's the difference between the $59.99 and $74.99 versions ??
... I'm trying to interpret ... if I already have ED, do I need to buy the $74.99 BETA version ?
thanks and sorry for my ignorance

Last edited:
OK ... so what is the answer to his question (and mine). What's the difference between the $59.99 and $74.99 versions ??
... I'm trying to interpret ... if I already have ED, do I need to buy the $74.99 BETA version ?
thanks and sorry for my ignorance

IMO No.

When they prepare the next major update to Horizons 2.1 (say Looting & Crafting & Mechanics/Engineers (search forums if these mean nothing to you)) there will be a beta test phase with a public test server running a throwaway snapshot of the galaxy in parallel to the main game. Only those who have the $74.99 version of Horizons, or had beta access to Season 1 from the kickstarter, Lifetime expansion pass, or the pre-1.0-release phase will have access to that. When 2.1 comes out that test environment will be scrapped and no progress made there will carry over to the main game.

$59.99 - play ED:Horizons on the production environment
$74.99 - adds temporary access to beta servers when a major 2.x release is being prepared.

As someone with KS Lifetime expansion pass, I can say that you're not missing any gameplay by not being in the beta. If I was in your position I'd get the vanilla $60 Horizons and if I wanted to give FD extra money I would buy paintjobs and bobbleheads.

IMO No.

When they prepare the next major update to Horizons 2.1 (say Looting & Crafting & Mechanics/Engineers (search forums if these mean nothing to you)) there will be a beta test phase with a public test server running a throwaway snapshot of the galaxy in parallel to the main game. Only those who have the $74.99 version of Horizons, or had beta access to Season 1 from the kickstarter, Lifetime expansion pass, or the pre-1.0-release phase will have access to that. When 2.1 comes out that test environment will be scrapped and no progress made there will carry over to the main game.

$59.99 - play ED:Horizons on the production environment
$74.99 - adds temporary access to beta servers when a major 2.x release is being prepared.

As someone with KS Lifetime expansion pass, I can say that you're not missing any gameplay by not being in the beta. If I was in your position I'd get the vanilla $60 Horizons and if I wanted to give FD extra money I would buy paintjobs and bobbleheads.
Thank you many times over. This is what I needed to know. I will buy Horizons vanilla and I had already considered buying another paint package for my Re-Purchased Asp Explorer since I plan on not ever selling it again. (I also bought paint for my Type-9 since it will always be my space cow)
Thanks again and have a nice day.

Well horizons runs fine on my old laptop. Lol

I can even land on planets with it.
Although sometimes the textures fail to load, so it looks a little like frontier elite II. Lol

Still, not bad for a £500, 2011 laptop!

Thank you many times over. This is what I needed to know. I will buy Horizons vanilla and I had already considered buying another paint package for my Re-Purchased Asp Explorer since I plan on not ever selling it again. (I also bought paint for my Type-9 since it will always be my space cow)
Thanks again and have a nice day.

You're welcome, see you out in the black, CMDR!

Top Bottom