Power plant

Another question. I am unable to add an experimental to any of the power plants. Was going for Thermal Spread. Is this a glitch?

Another question. I am unable to add an experimental to any of the power plants. Was going for Thermal Spread. Is this a glitch?
Greetings, what happened when you tried to add an experimental to the power plant?
Also, if you can illustrate with screenshots, it will be much appreciated.

Nope, you can't add special effects to these PP, and technically this is not a glitch - FD announced several months ago that CG reward modules won't be able to accept special effects (excluding FSDs, but that's another story)

Nope, you can't add special effects to these PP, and technically this is not a glitch - FD announced several months ago that CG reward modules won't be able to accept special effects (excluding FSDs, but that's another story)

Actually they said the un-modifiable CG reward modules will be highlighted like that.
No mention for this one that they're not modifiable, so they should be able to take experimentals.

Means that those PP are practically useless for some ships? (without possibility to add special to reduce heat down) ... heat efficiency worse as guardian variant. I will try 4A on my vulture (where already have guardian variant), and see if is usable at least on some ships.

Last edited:
I'll keep the powerplants, as it'd be a waste to throw them away, but I'm likely not going to use them on any of my ships. The earlier reward of a 3A double-engineered powerplant (overcharged + armored) that you could put experimentals on is superior in my eyes.

Means that those PP are practically useless for some ships? (without possibility to add special to reduce heat down) ... heat efficiency worse as guardian variant. I will try 4A on my vulture (where already have guardian variant), and see if is usable at least on some ships.
Even if we could apply Thermal Spread, they would still generate the same amount of heat as an engineered G5 overcharged with no Thermal Spread... so, yeah... mostly useless...

Even if we could apply Thermal Spread, they would still generate the same amount of heat as an engineered G5 overcharged with no Thermal Spread... so, yeah... mostly useless...
Almost. The reward we got now was powerplants giving +60% power, but 0.54 heat modifier, whereas a G5 Overcharged A-rated powerplant would give +50% power with a 0.50 heat modifier. If we were allowed to put Thermal Spread (reduces heat modifier by 10%) on the reward-powerplants, that would lessen the heat modifier to 0.50 or less, depending on how the calculations are run. So with Thermal Spread the powerplants would be somewhat better than the plain old overcharged ones.

The point I'm trying to make is that it is almost impossible to use any power plant with 0.50 heat efficiency. Applying thermal spread, brings it to 0.45 and then brings them back to be usable in a various range of ships and scenarios. The CG ones comes at 0.54 heat efficiency, which is way worse!

But I encourage you to try them and let me know your own findings...

It's not like they're impossible to use, but they're usability is indeed very limited.
On over 60 ships, i very rarely use 0.5 efficiency PowerPlants (guardian or g5 overcharged/monstered). Like 2-3 cases at most.

A real shame they're experimental locked.
Shame.

Top Bottom