Power Play and why is it so unengaging?

It's undermining. You have to turmoil an entire power to bring its CC down to negative value, then u may be able to get it to shed a system or two.
On a simpler level, how do I find ships to blow up for merits? Is this the "interdict cargo carriers in supercruise" method in those systems with shield icons? That's a bit tedious, but doable. I read something somewhere about a "Political Combat Zone" but have no idea what that is or where to find it.

Also does killing "Shield Of Justice" (insert proper name for power) ships do anything PP or merit worthy? If not, what's the point?

On a simpler level, how do I find ships to blow up for merits? Is this the "interdict cargo carriers in supercruise" method in those systems with shield icons? That's a bit tedious, but doable. I read something somewhere about a "Political Combat Zone" but have no idea what that is or where to find it.

Also does killing "Shield Of Justice" (insert proper name for power) ships do anything PP or merit worthy? If not, what's the point?
Im with an Independent power, so id need to go to a Control system (not Exploited system) of any other power than my pledge, and interdict and kill any ships pledged to the same power as the system itself (other powers' ships are usually Wanted, and are supposedly doing the same thing you are: You dont get merits for defending the power you're supposed to be attacking) You will gain Power bounties which affect the transfer costs of the ship you are in, but dont make any difference in any other way & dont increase your notoriety) Carry some collector limpets if possible, there are good materials on offer, especially from killing T9/7s and AspXs, and the occasional big ship. [to find Control systems, go to Galmap, select the powerplay tab and select the button for Control systems, they will be highlighted for the selected power, go to any of them that suits. If you don't want to inadvertently cause an Incident, try to avoid undermining a system to completion, and stick to systems that aren't heavily undermined already.]

There is a far more effective method, instead of interdicting, which is essentially an exploit of spawn mechanics. Strategic attacks in Powerplay are so horribly underpowered, that large groups of players are willing to '5C' and pledge to their enemy in order to attack it from within. In that context, using/abusing a secondary exploit to make undermining feasible, is not considered underhanded between PP groups.
It's really not necessary for getting your 750 merits though, so enjoy the better gameplay from doing it 'properly'. That is certainly more fun & immersive, if that's ur cuppa tea.
Alternatively, a shieldless cutter will carry 750 tonnes of cargo, and that will cover your 750 merits in one haul. Some powers haul from control systems back to their capital, others haul the other way. Expansions run from control systems to the target system. These are favoured by 5c groups, so generally speaking, the highest merit system for any given power will be the most destructive for your pledged power. You can see that for yourself though, by the positive or (most likely) negative CC balance it is projected to provide in the event of success.

Powerplay groups will always appreciate your beneficial contribution, no matter if its just for the weapons, and just 750 merits. So u may as well join their discord to see where theyd like the merits done. If undermining, they may even wing up with u & show effective ways to do things. Either way, its all good flavour for the game and there's never any imposition beyond what you wish to contribute, excepting a screenshot to show your pledge is genuine. Discord is a harmless text app primarily, so you may as well get in contact.

There is also BGS. While not directly related to powerplay it is another important activity played by those bored by basic powerplay mechanics.

There is also BGS. While not directly related to powerplay it is another important activity played by those bored by basic powerplay mechanics.
funny you should say that.. xD .. less funny when u cant attach jpegs on here. hangon..
oh what a pain in the posterior. Anyway, suffice to say, some powers are more Gardeners of the BGS than anything else. perhaps Rubbernuke can help with a suitable image. :giggle:

Last edited:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eau28VQzRo4&t=4s

check it out

Disagree. Nav beacon farming in its current style encourages flying in wings. Every CZ with the usual weak PP NPCs would be prone to exploits with heal beam turret boats.

Forgive me, but I can't easily watch videos due to bandwidth constraints. Can you summarize?
So Basically its like this:
1. Line up against the nav beacon
2. Approach it like you would normally do
3. When the "Safe to drop"-message shows up don't drop.
4. Drop when the "safe to drop"-message disappears
5. you should ideally be around 30 - 100 km away from the nav beacon
6. shoot your targets
7. Rinse and repeat
It might take a few times before you get it right
Usually i drop as soon as the compass dot is just about to turn hollow.

So Basically its like this:
1. Line up against the nav beacon
2. Approach it like you would normally do
3. When the "Safe to drop"-message shows up don't drop.
4. Drop when the "safe to drop"-message disappears
5. you should ideally be around 30 - 100 km away from the nav beacon
6. shoot your targets
7. Rinse and repeat
It might take a few times before you get it right
Usually i drop as soon as the compass dot is just about to turn hollow.
What targets?

I tried the legitimate way (pulling PP ships out of supercruise) and found it to be grindy and boring and costly (why is SA getting involved!?!) and......

AHHHHH, SCREW IT! Y'all can keep your PowerPlay and PvP weapons. I've gotten along the last two years just fine without Pack-Hounds and Prismatic Shields and Cytosoup Scramblers and Blue Hair Gel and Spider Pizza and whatever else this is all about.

I find hauling the forts with Type-9 is the fastest and most painless way to get the merits, relatively speaking. The biggest obstacle is using that horrible interface and fast tracking the materials about 73 times. I sort of just turn my brain off and let my hand go through the motions on autopilot. I don't know is such trance is achievable with a controller.

I also thing they should be tech broker items, perhaps unlockable from PP as an alternate method, not the primary one.

It is bad but once you hit rank5 it becomes a little faster. Still it is bad. We should be able to chose the number of packages and pay for all in one fasttrack transaction.

Anyway - Powerplay is not about geting the merits. I would say that without the merits, ranks and power related weapons, powerplay would be even better than it is. Because it would filter out all those randoms who only play to get merits, often hurting their own power...

Disagree. Nav beacon farming in its current style encourages flying in wings. Every CZ with the usual weak PP NPCs would be prone to exploits with heal beam turret boats.

Nav beacon manipulation to force spawn ships is an exploit & you shouldn't be doing it as you are not playing the game as intended and the NPC's that spawn also aren't more challenging than those in Strike Zones unless you find Sidewinders & T9 tricky which I doubt. Also you can't use AFK turret boats with the new CZs afaik as the CZ times out & you have to re-select the faction. And, finally, one would hope that new Powerplay CZ's would have a balance pass to provide a suitable challenge or FDev uses feedback to tune it.

You refer to nav beacon manipulation as farming which I think pretty much gives the game away to why you want to keep it.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Nav beacon manipulation to force spawn ships is an exploit & you shouldn't be doing it as you are not playing the game as intended and the NPC's that spawn also aren't more challenging than those in Strike Zones unless you find Sidewinders & T9 tricky which I doubt. Also you can't use AFK turret boats with the new CZs afaik as the CZ times out & you have to re-select the faction. And, finally, one would hope that new Powerplay CZ's would have a balance pass to provide a suitable challenge or FDev uses feedback to tune it.

You refer to nav beacon manipulation as farming which I think pretty much gives the game away to why you want to keep it.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Without the nav beacon method of undermining, there is almost no way to fight Cutter haulers hauling thousands of merits / hr.

When Frontier reworks conflict zones that constantly spawns targets at 30 merits per kill, talk to me again about the nav beacon spawns being removed for Powerplay.

Without the nav beacon method of undermining, there is almost no way to fight Cutter haulers hauling thousands of merits / hr.

When Frontier reworks conflict zones that constantly spawns targets at 30 merits per kill, talk to me again about the nav beacon spawns being removed for Powerplay.

Which is why I suggested undermining & opposing should move to new style CZs.

CMDR Justinian Octavius

Which is why I suggested undermining & opposing should move to new style CZs.
I would like to see those new CZ's resemble current ones, with different difficulty setting with merits/kill based on CZ level and maybe even ship class, but all those CZ need phasing enemies to eliminate AFK turreted cutters farming, unless power play become OO or give huge bonuses to open.

Top Bottom