Powerplay Powerplay a hit or miss from FD?

PP was a great idea. But it's so ambitious it desserves a long development.
Looks like a try, needing fixes, but Frontier doesn't pay attention anymore. Horizons, Horizons...

If you join,you'll have to truck (packages) again and again and destroy some ships (undermining).
What for ? To win !
To win what ? Don't ask, play.

If you write your own story, can be fun. If not, mechanics are so poor it's quite boring.
Great ambition, little realisation. Frontier wasted time in PP and give us an unfinished product.
Ok, PP is free. So far, I wouldn't pay for it.

Who's the lead designer ? Man, nice try but you missed.

Last edited:
What i find most annoying is that PP heavily builds on one of the worst gameplay mechanisms: extreme cool-down timers that can be reduced by spending credits.

I don't know how this is supposed to be played. Even to keep Rank 4 i have to spend 2 days a weeks where i have ED running in the background for hours and i check every 30 minutes to buy another batch of stuff. Every 90 minutes i head off with my ASP to unload the stuff somewhere, then come back, rinse and repeat. (To maintain Rank 4 you need ~800 merits/week. You can get 50t/h, so that's 16h waiting-game, 2 days full time "work"!)

You have such a fantastic galaxy, the BGS, so many gameplay option, so many possibilities to make the player feel he is participating in an epic struggle for power (the meta certainly delivers that feeling!). But then you basically waste it all by forcing everyone to engage in this dull and immersion breaking waiting-game. And to make things worse, you set the requirements so high that you have to spend most of your valuable in-game time with this boring procedure. An on top of that your efforts in this dull grind are completely devalued by this out of balance 5c problem, where few Cmdrs can force a whole community to grind this dull mechanic ad nauseam. I really don't get why FD is not acting or at least commenting on these issues.

Last edited:
What i find most annoying is that PP heavily builds on one of the worst gameplay mechanisms: extreme cool-down timers that can be reduced by spending credits.

I don't know how this is supposed to be played. Even to keep Rank 4 i have to spend 2 days a weeks where i have ED running in the background for hours and i check every 30 minutes to buy another batch of stuff. Every 90 minutes i head off with my ASP to unload the stuff somewhere, then come back, rinse and repeat. (To maintain Rank 4 you need ~800 merits/week. You can get 50t/h, so that's 16h waiting-game, 2 days full time "work"!)

You have such a fantastic galaxy, the BGS, so many gameplay option, so many possibilities to make the player feel he is participating in an epic struggle for power (the meta certainly delivers that feeling!). But then you basically waste it all by forcing everyone to engage in this dull and immersion breaking waiting-game. And to make things worse, you set the requirements so high that you have to spend most of your valuable in-game time with this boring procedure. An on top of that your efforts in this dull grind are completely devalued by this out of balance 5c problem, where few Cmdrs can force a whole community to grind this dull mechanic ad nauseam. I really don't get why FD is not acting or at least commenting on these issues.
I have to partially agree with you, but i think that trading is not the best way to grind (yes, it is just a grinding) merits.
The easiest way, in my opinion, is killing stuff in specific zones (i think you can gain around 700-1000 merits/hour, maybe more...)

PP is a good expansion with new things to de, but missing a lot of features to be effective, for example PP ingame chat, organized groups implemented in game...

Last edited:
I know that it's supposed to be a dog-eat-dog galaxy, but I just can't get over the weirdness of how individuals, even from out of major power leadership, are allowed to go blood-thirstily "warlording", willy nilly.

I have to partially agree with you, but i think that trading is not the best way to grind (yes, it is just a grinding) merits.
The easiest way, in my opinion, is killing stuff in specific zones (i think you can gain around 700-1000 merits/hour, maybe more...)

Yes, sure, i agree with that. Not only is undermining more profitable, it's also so much more fun (and lacks the dull timer mechanic). But this makes the problem even worse! I would restrict my PP action to undermining, but that's not in the interest of my power, in particular with the 5c problem. Powers need players that do the prep, expand, and fortification work.

Top Bottom