PowerPlay: does it include improvements for VR?

Hi,

This is a question for Frontier that I believe will interest everybody here:
does powerplay include improvements for VR?

thanks,

Commander TNX

Michael did say something about some graphics improvements they did in the MAC development that should have effect on PC Graphics performance. But nothing on VR improvements specifically.
I can only imagine that they are working on incorporating DevKit 0.6 as soon as possible as that was only released recently so I don't expect that to be in 1.3 yet.

Nothing specific, but hopefully the shader caching changes should prevent some of the funny micro-stalls that are so jarring for VR users. There have been some other minor optimisations that might make life nicer too. The VR people aren't dead, either- someone in FD is blinking at the 0.6 Oculus runtime, which has changed many things, and doesn't really work well with ED, which is built against a much older API. Maybe that will yield some useful changes, it has the potential for compositing different res layers together, which would allow nice crisp supersampled UIs and things with a lower overall performance hit. There are other changes which could potentially increase performance too (under some circumstances), moving where the distortion and CA correction is calculated etc., but this could be marginal or even worse at first, depending on how well it's implemented in the runtime.

In any case, FD have to update ED to at least work properly with 0.6+, if they want to keep bragging about how good it is in VR. New players running the latest Oculus runtimes won't be able to play at all, and will probably be quite annoyed- potential for very poor word of mouth there.

If anything, in the short term, it may get worse overall for some people. The very fiddly Powerplay UI doesn't have a curved "VR mode" like UI panels in other software, which let you have larger text and buttons etc.. That's just the short term, though- plenty of potential for good things in the near future.

Last edited:
This is a bit off topic, but is the CA and distortion computationally intense? I don't know how the game is rendered, I'm assuming it is not 1920x1080 since we need two 960x1080 (different) frames for the 3D which need to be corrected for the lenses afterwards. It is clear performance with OR on is worse than 2D at the very least (I get similar FPS at 1440p 1.5X SS).

This is a bit off topic, but is the CA and distortion computationally intense? I don't know how the game is rendered, I'm assuming it is not 1920x1080 since we need two 960x1080 (different) frames for the 3D which need to be corrected for the lenses afterwards. It is clear performance with OR on is worse than 2D at the very least (I get similar FPS at 1440p 1.5X SS).

Don't quote me on this, but I believe the distortion is mostly based around bilinear filtering, which is a relatively cheap thing to do. The CA correction, I'm less sure about, but I'd imagine that it's done with a LUT-type approach, so probably not terribly heavy- BICBW.

I doubt 1.3 will include updating to the 0.6 SDK from Oculus as it was only just released days ago and is a major update. Given that Powerplay is also a major update and contains a lot as it is, I think there's almost no chance.

There may be some improvements that give a FPS lift which is always welcome in the rift. It would be good if they implemented an option to change the HUD colour without having to edit config files too.

Once 1.3 is released I think we will see a patch for 0.6 support shortly after as it is much closer to the final SDK form Oculus. Hoepfully anyway, I just rolled back my runtime because 0.6 doesn't work with Elite very well at all.

i hope to see distortion and CA deferred to the hardware layer completely, so that the software layer can concentrate on high fps.

In my honest opinion, Powerplay beta 1.3 has made VR worse. The graphics are super blurry, with no apparent way of improving them with any visual graphics settings.

Top Bottom