Powerplay Manual For Dummies - 1.3

I have a question can you cargo scoop garrison supplies from another faction ?

I tried this last night - now I'm stuck with illegal enemy supplies that I can't hand over or sell on the black market - shame, I should be getyting merits for liberating them IMO..

+rep for OP nice guide - the whole thing felt impenetrable at first but its pretty much clicked now - mind you , I play Risk Legacy which makes pp look like rock paper scissors..

I tried this last night - now I'm stuck with illegal enemy supplies that I can't hand over or sell on the black market - shame, I should be getyting merits for liberating them IMO..

+rep for OP nice guide - the whole thing felt impenetrable at first but its pretty much clicked now - mind you , I play Risk Legacy which makes pp look like rock paper scissors..

Hmmmm I suggest we log this as a bug/support ticket I feel Frontier should address this as your right we should earn merit for this.

Have Fuel Scoop. Will Travel

I was undermining a Federation power last night, and me! I scoop everything, even biowaste. The canisters I picked up from them were some sort of orders and I was told that if I was working for a Federal Power I'd be able to feed it to the wrong control centre to sabotage their plans. I'm on Team Mahon, so it was useless to me <sigh>

It does show that the stuff they spew out is worth a scoop though.

I was undermining a Federation power last night, and me! I scoop everything, even biowaste. The canisters I picked up from them were some sort of orders and I was told that if I was working for a Federal Power I'd be able to feed it to the wrong control centre to sabotage their plans. I'm on Team Mahon, so it was useless to me <sigh>

It does show that the stuff they spew out is worth a scoop though.

I'm also with Mahon but am still a bit hazy on undermining, what *can* you actively do to undermine (Say) the Feds? Combat zones? Kill traders ferrying stuff? (and would you need a cargo scanner for this?)

Absolutely excellent OP. That's a LOT of work to put into a post, so thank you sincerely for all that work.

FDEV are kinda missing a trick somewhere (again?). We have a massive, enthusiastic, community which they could be encouraging to help with documentation. The Kickstarter dudes (Descendent Studios?) doing Descent: Underground have an active section on their forum for volunteers. I know that Frontier are a good bit bigger, but sometimes the people playing the game have more experience. I write code for controlling various hardware systems, and when people ask me "how do I...?" I usually don't have a clue. I wrote it, but never used it (don't blame me. The hardware is sometimes in a different lab/country). Anyway, there's a lot of good stuff on here. Even for FDEV to have a maintained Wiki, maybe with some volunteers moderating it, so that documentation like this has a place to live?

Sorry, digression. Molto kudos OP. :)

Here's a question: Once you've pledged to a power is there any way to un-pledge if you decide powerplay is not for you? I know you can defect to another power but is there any way to opt out altogether once you've pledged?
I've just been reading this thread https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154335 and I'm concerned it may be yet another excuse for the pvp goons to wing up and run riot.

But that's a part of the gameplay, if you really don't like to encounter fights with players then solo play or private group is an option :)
And yes you can, next to defect to another Power, just leave your current Power you pledged with anytime you wish.

I'm also with Mahon but am still a bit hazy on undermining, what *can* you actively do to undermine (Say) the Feds? Combat zones? Kill traders ferrying stuff? (and would you need a cargo scanner for this?)

I don't have a cargo scanner. I was interdicting them from SuperCruise. I can't remember the exact name you should be looking for, but if you land at a station you should be furnished with this info by your PowerPlay contact. I was having my fun at Sol.

Good write up, I've repped you for it. Really clarifies and simplifies what PP is all about. Unfortunately the clarification just confirmed what I already suspected, that PP is just doing more of the same things we'd already been doing, getting paid less for doing it in return for a chance of maybe getting some fairly nebulous minimal rewards, and suddenly finding that 90% of inhabited space is hostile to you. There's not actually any new activites or abilities added to the game with PP, just more complicated outcomes for the same gameplay. I'm sure there's lotsa people who're enjoying PP but I'm not one of them.

Still, a really good explanation. Well done.

Great explanation.

One question. Obviously having everyone coordinate their efforts in each power would be the most effective. And the Xbox and PC games will be using and affecting the same PP system (if I remember right) upon the full xbox release. So are there any resources, player made or otherwise, to help people on the same power work together more efficiently?

Last edited:
I have to say I still do not understand Powerplay fully but this manual certainly makes the fog a little clearer so thanks heaps for that :)

Great write up, (FD should employ you to do their manuals - Cause their version was confusing)

Now though, time to quit my job, sell the house, send the kids to the grandparents, and go on welfare so I can do PowerPlay with half a chance of getting past tier 2.

I found the official Powerplay manual to be...confusing, so I wrote my own.
I hope it makes sense.

The quick & dirty of Powerplay (PP)

- PP runs in cycles. Each cycle is 1 week real time
- each cycle, a Power can do 3 things:

Phase 1| Prepare a star system for Expansion
Phase 2| Expand a star system
Phase 3| Control & Fortify control zones

Phase 3 requires Phase 2 to be completed, which in turn requires Phase 1 to be completed. In all, it takes 3 weeks to turn a star system from nothing into a control zone.

What is a control zone?

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/halcyon201/control zones.jpg

- a control zone is a bubble in space with a radius of 15 light years. Every star system in that bubble belongs to the Power. The center of this bubble is a star system that was Prepared in Phase 1

Before new control zones are even formed though, the Power must manage their Command Capital (CC):

http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g429/halcyon201/2015-06-08_00001.jpg

- Total CC Income is gained from all the exploited star systems in a control zone the Power owns. The higher a star system's population, the higher the CC income. The distance between the star system and the Power's HQ also matters

- CC Upkeep is what the Power spends to maintain all it's exploited star systems within the control zones

- Total CC Available is what is left after the Upkeep is subtracted from the Income = Net CC

Phase 1| How to Prepare a star system?

View attachment 42529

- at the start of every weekly cycle, a list of 10 possible star systems for Preparation is automatically generated by the game (shown in the left pane). These are the 10 most potential profitable systems nearest to your Power's territory.
The list of possible star systems is ordered 1-10 from most currently prepared to least currently prepared
This 1-10 list is also shown on the Galaxy Map:

View attachment 42521

- the Power must spend CC at the end of the Preparation phase in order to advance a Prepared star system to Phase 2, which is Expansion. Total CC available is shown above the list (112), and the cost is to the right of each star system in the list

- multiple systems can be prepared in the same weekly cycle, but only if the Power has enough CC to cover the total cost. If the cost is white, it's affordable. Star systems with a cost in red can't be afforded for the current cycle

- players can Prepare systems by doing 2 things:

1. Completing missions for that Power. Some Powers will have you transport stuff from point A to point B, or kill ships and turn in bounty vouchers, etc. It depends on the power. For Pranav Antal above, Utopian Publicity (fancy name for propaganda) must be transported from any exploited star system in a control zone the Power owns to a star system that is being Prepared.
These missions are found in the Station Services, under Contacts:

View attachment 42534

2. Using Preparation Nominations. These are gained by advancing in Rank within the Power. You gain rank by completing missions and activities for that Power.
For example: transporting 10 tons of Utopian Publicity in your cargo hold will net you 10 Merits.
At 100 Merits you advance to Rank 2, where you get 2 Preparation Nominations (higher ranks give more rewards):

View attachment 42532

** NOTE: Two Powers can both try to prepare the same star system during the same weekly cycle, but only the Power that contributes the most (missions/Nominations) is awarded the system for expansion in Phase 2. **

** NOTE: A prepared star system does NOT automatically turn into a control zone after Phase 1 **

For that to happen, it must be Expanded, which is Phase 2.

Phase 2| How to Expand a star system?

View attachment 42533

- systems can be expanded by doing missions. In this case, it's killing ships in Violent Protest zones (found out in space similar to Unidentified Signal Sources) and turning in the bounty vouchers

- to successfully expand the system, your Power needs to meet a Trigger target (shown as a white diamond with a target line):

View attachment 42536

- if your power (yellow bar) contributes enough points to raise the yellow bar above the Trigger line, you will successfully Expand the star system at the end of the weekly cycle

- other Powers can try to Oppose your expansion (the red bar), and they also do this through missions in the star system to be Expanded. To successfully Expand the star system, your Power must raise the yellow bar above BOTH the Trigger and the red Opposition bar

- your Power has strengths and weaknesses against certain types of Government when Expanding:

View attachment 42540

Phase 3| How to Control & Fortify control zones?

- after a star system is successfully Expanded, it becomes a control zone and can now be Fortified

- Fortifying a control zone reduces it's CC Upkeep cost to 0 for the next weekly cycle only. Control zones must be Fortified each week to maintain 0 Upkeep cost

- players can Fortify by doing missions, also gained from the Power Contact in the Station Services

- other Powers can try to Undermine your efforts to Fortify, which is similar to Opposing Expansion:

View attachment 42541

- if the enemy Power reaches their Trigger line for the red bar, both the Fortify and Undermine actions cancel each other out and the CC Upkeep cost doesn't change for the next cycle

- Wrap Up -

So what can you do in PP?
A player can do the following:

- do missions to Prepare star systems
- use Preparation Nominations to help shape which star systems will be Expanded in Phase 2
- do missions to Expand star systems
- do missions to Oppose another Power's attempts to Expand
- do missions to Fortify control zones your Power owns
- do missions to Undermine control zones an enemy Power owns

Why do you want to do all this? Because gaining rank in the Power gives you benefits, like bonuses to bounty voucher turn-ins or bonuses to exploration data turn-ins.
There's a bonus for everyone.

You could also possibly do things that aren't specifically written into PP, like going after players doing missions for the Prepare phase (i.e. killing trader ships transporting propaganda cargo).
Multiple strategies can be employed against an enemy Power to stop them from expanding their territory, or you can just focus on expanding your own or defending and Fortifying what you currently own.

Hopefully this helps some.

(I have no idea how to get rid of this ugly attachment below)

Thankk you very much for your time.

Things are much clear to me: I'll give a try someday ;)

+rep.
I haven't fully read the official powerplay manual yet but now it will probably be easier to digest. I haven't pledged to a power and may yet stay neutral.
Here's a question: Once you've pledged to a power is there any way to un-pledge if you decide powerplay is not for you? I know you can defect to another power but is there any way to opt out altogether once you've pledged?
I've just been reading this thread https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=154335 and I'm concerned it may be yet another excuse for the pvp goons to wing up and run riot.
Yes, you can simply press the "Leave Power" button. and not choose another power, aaaand it's gone.

I hate myself for even mentioning this. Please don't tell me how much you hate me for it, because believe me, I already know.

Anyhow, in your first diagram you detail the 15LY radius for a control zone, but the diagram clearly shows the dimension of the diameter, not the radius. The radius is 15LY, and the diameter is 30LY.
In your example, anywhere within 15LY of Polevnic is within it's bubble. That's a radius, with its centre at Polevnic.

7YfK0
<-- even the forum hates me. I don't blame it.

I said you'd hate me. I know I do.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, OP - the clearest guide I've found so far.

I'm taking my first shaky steps into PP, but I'm still not sure I'm going to like it.

Well, there's one way to find out: I'm going to stick with it for a few weeks and see where it goes... Also, I want to upgrade my Fed rank, so it seems that Felicia Winters is the go-to-girl for that kinda thing.

I have a feeling that I'll get bored with it before CR50m a week starts rolling in, especially with limited playtime: But we shall see...

Top Bottom