Powerplay Powerplay Solo/Private Exploit Problem

Totally agree on yout last sentence. But covert would mean like using fast uncatchable ships and/or silent running or some other means of being undetected or evasion rather than just "lol different game mode and im untouchable"

Then PP should be PC only? Or Xbone? Or PS?

None of the platforms can see each other.

Totally agree on yout last sentence. But covert would mean like using fast uncatchable ships and/or silent running or some other means of being undetected or evasion rather than just "lol different game mode and im untouchable"

Still too narrow a viewpoint. What about spies, espionage, ministeries of misinformation, double agents, silent police/military you never see etc... they all happen in warfare.

Still too narrow a viewpoint. What about spies, espionage, ministeries of misinformation, double agents, silent police/military you never see etc... they all happen in warfare.

What about it? Doing those activities where no other player can even interact that you may not want to interact arrives at the same problem. No matter what activity you wanna do in the warfare of powerplay. If you can just remove yourself from the danger then it eliminates the point of the gameplay activity anyway.

You can tell yourself your engaging in espionage. But if no other player can access you cause youre in solo then youre not doing anything. But point a to point b. Once again eliminating the over arcing point of powerplay, which is players directly competing against each other. Not just moving bars up higher than people they cant interact with.

What about it? Doing those activities where no other player can even interact that you may not want to interact arrives at the same problem. No matter what activity you wanna do in the warfare of powerplay. If you can just remove yourself from the danger then it eliminates the point of the gameplay activity anyway.

You can tell yourself your engaging in espionage. But if no other player can access you cause youre in solo then youre not doing anything. But point a to point b. Once again eliminating the over arcing point of powerplay, which is players directly competing against each other. Not just moving bars up higher than people they cant interact with.

We're just gonna have to agree to disagree. However I am righter :)

I play this game to influence and anti-influence the factions I chose to, nothing to do with competition or other people.

Last edited:
Youre not righter. If you play to do that, thats fine. But people also play to stop people like you from doing that. Why should you be able to deny a person their desired playstyle just because it conflicts with yours? (which is the point of their beibg different powers, to create conflict)

If you wanna do that fine, but you should have to be actually tactful and evasive to do it in the interest of opposing others.

I play this game to influence and anti-influence the factions I chose to, nothing to do with competition or other people.

That's a bit of a paradoxical statement.

You play to influence and anti-influence factions, nothing to do with influencing or anti-influencing.
You play to get into competition with other players, nothing to do with competition or other players.

You see what I'm saying?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
And thats one of the biggest flaws with powerplay. It should not be equally effective in all game modes. The entire point of it is to pit players against each other. Allowing powerplay to take place in solo and pg undermines the point of powerplay.

Sandro mused about an Open play bonus for PowerPlay (for the Power only, not the player) a bit over two and a half years ago - it came to nothing at that time.

As to allowing PowerPlay to take place in Solo / Private Groups - Frontier implemented it in all game modes for all players, not just in Open for those who prefer direct PvP.

You dont have to prefer direct pvp. You shouldnt be able to avoid the danger of enemy commanders. Whether you want to fight them ot not.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You dont have to prefer direct pvp. You shouldnt be able to avoid the danger of enemy commanders. Whether you want to fight them ot not.

This is the wrong game for that. It's been very clear from the outset that players would have the option of whether to play among other players, or not, and that every player would both experience and affect the single shared galaxy state regardless of game mode.

This is the wrong game for that. It's been very clear from the outset that players would have the option of whether to play among other players, or not, and that every player would both experience and affect the single shared galaxy state regardless of game mode.

That totally works except when it comes to powerplay.

If you dont wanna interact with possibly hostile players cool. But dont expect to have your cake and eat it too. powerplay should be that difference in the game modes.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
That totally works except when it comes to powerplay.

If you dont wanna interact with possibly hostile players cool. But dont expect to have your cake and eat it too.powerplay should be that difference in the game modes.

Opinions vary - notably Frontier's - as they consciously implemented Powerplay in all three game modes.

And thats something that should change. Unless youre saying theyve shown perfect judgement and ability to balance the game over its life.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
And thats something that should change. Unless youre saying theyve shown perfect judgement and ability to balance the game over its life.

It may change, it may not - we'll see.

However, given that the most that has been mooted was a bonus to PowerPlay for playing in Open, not a mode-lock to Open, I get the impression that any change won't go far enough for some - and will risk alienating others.

A bonus for open for powerplay is a good compromise. If you wanna avoid the risk of enemy commanders theb it should not be as effective the time spent by those who do risk it.

Obviously i think powerplay should be open only, but a powerplay bonus for open at least creates incentive to be in open for those activities.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Maybe. However a blanket bonus would be ill applied, in my opinion, as the vast majority of Open is exactly the same as Solo - with the notable exception of occasions where a hostile player with ship and skill capable of constituting a credible hazard is encountered. Which is why I'd much prefer a hostile encounter based reward for Open play - however that'd very likely suffer from collusion between players that, from their pledges, should be opposing each other - akin to 5C.

The answer to this is simple, and its almost in the game:

Have heatmaps per day of commander activity married to a bonus for flying through these areas. This system would overcome the potential instancing issues (in that you might be both there but not in the same island) via data.

Back
Top Bottom