Powerplay Faction: Felicia Winters Powerplay Solo vs. Open

I suggest a compromise solution. ATM I think the integrity of the game design requires that all modes are equal. But if we could have Open-PvE I would agree with PP being made an exclusive feature of Original-Open. Will anyone else support my OPvE+OOOPP idea?

I suggest a compromise solution. ATM I think the integrity of the game design requires that all modes are equal. But if we could have Open-PvE I would agree with PP being made an exclusive feature of Original-Open. Will anyone else support my OPvE+OOOPP idea?

My suggestion is better, as it actually plays to the strengths of modes and not forces features across modes that don't wholly suit it.

Why not make Powerplay Open Exclusive?

Oh dear, here we go again...

You can start here, this was the fourth incarnation of the thread after the previous 3 hit the post limit.

Not sure what number thread we reached, but that wasn't the last one.

Periodically someone ressurects the topic.

No matter whether you are for or against open only for PP, there are those who hold the opposing opinions and many reasons have been stated over the years.

FD are aware of the desire of some to lock some content to a specific mode and have discussed it as well, see Sandro's two PP proposal thread. There have even been some valiant attempts to propose compromise solutions where PG/solo players can still be valuable participants but giving Open a special place in the mechanics.

I wont express my opinion here nor lay out any of the arguments for or against. Just be aware, its been discussed to death a bazillion times in countless threads, and FD have to date decided to not change the situation. Either that means they don't want to (and not talking about Sandro here, who anyways has moved on, i mean the real decision makers) or they simply do not have the time to change anything.

Maybe when New Era is done and dusted they might revisit it, or maybe they already have plans in the works. But no debate at this point in time, nor posting links to YouTubers who agree, will change anything. If it would, then it would already have chagned things years ago.

Not at all.

Solo mode has no real NPC danger, while in Open you have other players. Since players run Powerplay (i.e. no NPC shifts or collects) by hitting players directly you affect the game. Solo and PG bypass this.
His remark was about players affecting other players' game experience. First he said all players in all modes could do this, then he said that a subset in Open couldn't.

Also OP, did you give any consideration who play on consoles, especially those who don't want to pay the Sony tax to play in open?

His remark was about players affecting other players' game experience. First he said all players in all modes could do this, then he said that a subset in Open couldn't.

It depends on what you term 'experience'. If that means play Powerplay then what he said was true and not contradictory at all. You can affect other Powers in all modes but in a way thats a race rather than a conflict (in an open context).

Also OP, did you give any consideration who play on consoles, especially those who don't want to pay the Sony tax to play in open?

If you give Solo players an equal yet separate role in Powerplay, then it sidesteps that problem. You then have Solo players gathering an item, and Open players transporting it against other players.

If you give Solo players an equal yet separate role in Powerplay, then it sidesteps that problem. You then have Solo players gathering an item, and Open players transporting it against other players.

Yes, its an option, but i wasn't addressing your point, i was addressing OP ;)

Me and you, we have danced this dance many times, and i'm not really looking for another dance partner :p

Beep! Contradiction.
Boop! "Effectively" gives the nuance you missed.
Yes, its an option, but i wasn't addressing your point, i was addressing OP ;)

Me and you, we have danced this dance many times, and i'm not really looking for another dance partner :p
Address the point not the person.

You know the quote was "all modes are equally valid" and yes. Yes they are all valid, they all have a place. It doesnt mean for a moment that they have to be in every place, thats not what it means at all. It just means all the modes are to be supported into the future, thats it. So on that note can we have something for Open that isnt undercut by Solo/PG, or the griefer's-paradise that would be OpenPvE.

If you only knew how many discussions me and Rubber have had on this topic over the years...

That particular dead horse isn't even recognizable as a corpse, its now just a greasy stain on the ground.

Ben the Powerplay horse has become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.

24cc6f06933b63140dfc6f9c251429f1.jpg

If you only knew how many discussions me and Rubber have had on this topic over the years...

That particular dead horse isn't even recognizable as a corpse, its now just a greasy stain on the ground.
I read the vast majority as they happened. Rubbernuke wont be trolled into silence. Others are less experienced in Powerplay and the forums and are easier targets. The SOP: isolate new voices and dumbfound them with nonsense into giving up. Anti-OOPP 101, straight from the Hotel California mode-wars.

Last edited:
I read the vast majority as they happened. Rubbernuke wont be trolled into silence. Others are less experienced in Powerplay and the forums and are easier targets. The SOP: isolate new voices and dumbfound them with nonsence into giving up. Anti-OOPP 101, straight from the Hotel California mode-wars.

And I'll always be here.....

1580498759827.png

Rubbernuke wont be trolled into silence.

What you talking about Willis?

He can talk as much as he wants. I just said i wasn't going to discuss the topic with him any further, and wasn't looking to get drawn into this rehash of Hotel California.

What you talking about Willis?

He can talk as much as he wants. I just said i wasn't going to discuss the topic with him any further, and wasn't looking to get drawn into this rehash of Hotel California.
You raised an often repeated 'what about the solo console players' argument. Theres nothing new to be learned from that debate. Its an evilcorps stick to beat the unwary. OOPP suggestions fundamentally dont care about any solo-only players on any platform, since they are deemed an inappropriate playstyle for Powerplay. This is due to the way they undercut Open, rendering it risky and innefficient in comparison. If you want to do the best you can for your Power, Open is an invalid mode under the current mechanics.

Rubbernuke's recent suggestion gives a valid & essential role to each mode that redistributes the activities as befits the nature of each. Open & Solo/PG have to work together to succeed, & that avoids disenfrancising or devaluing anyone.

If you want to avoid the same-old age-old debates, it's a better place to start than by lamenting all over again about the tiny subset of a subset who'd be affected by needing to pay a subscription for an online multiplayer feature, to a console evilcorps that demands players pay a subscription to play online multiplayer..

Top Bottom