Powertrain durability

I'm at the start of the Miami GP and I'm already at my 2nd part of everything in the powertrain. Seems worrying. Does the AI has the same wear problems or will I be the only one on the grid generating grid penalties during the season?

I think engine cooling helps the wear. Not sure though. What doesn't help is if your drivers crash and damage the parts which has happened to me not even halfway into the year. Engines and ERS are more expensive this year too so you're going to take pain with new power units too.

First season I used 4-3-4 instead of 3-2-4 I had one seals. When they proposed to raise the cap to 4-3-5 and had no problem after that

I saw toward the end of season one a lot of team penalty because of engine replacement so yeah ai suffer too

Overall I honestly think is impossible to do 3-2-4 even if you boost cooling just buy all the new part all at once just to get only one race with penalty and hope they change regulation

I think cooling only directly benefits the engine as well. For the record I've never gotten through a season with just 3 engines without taking a penalty. (2 ERS units over a whole season is even more ridiculous.) Now that they are 5 million that part of the game is going to be a lot more spicy.

I think the engine is the big problem it costs the most and it can be helped with cooling.

the gearbox, I was able to just use 4 (unless you crash)
the ERS part is a bit pricy, too and is impossible to do only two nothing probably makes it better, so is a bit silly honestly if you vote to raise cap to 4-3-5 or even 4-3-4 all is solved I got it on 1 of my 3 first season play through

Yikes engines actually count toward the cap. I'm actually not sure how I'm going to manage to stay under it for my first season...

It helps to use older power trains in all three practice sessions and only use the newer/ good conditioned power trains for Q and Race then revert back to old power trains for the next practice sessions

It helps to use older power trains in all three practice sessions and only use the newer/ good conditioned power trains for Q and Race then revert back to old power trains for the next practice sessions
This is generally what I do but that does deliberately sacrifice a power unit to keep the remaining ones competitive for longer. I think what I've realized playing through a ton of seasons once I actually figured out how to track AI wear is that they actually do run the power units much lower than I am comfortable doing.

But also generally you don't have enough power units at the beginning of the game and it tends to vote to increase allocation as you go and that tends to make things much easier but the base allocation is basically impossible to get through a season without penalties.

I've found that I could get my components through a season without penalty on 4-3-5 with a Merc engine as long as my drivers didn't crash and damage them further... but then when I switched to Red Bull I've actually found that at least the ERS is wearing significantly faster. I guess higher wear is a trade off for being faster?

Top Bottom