Pre Alpha Atmosphere glitched into existence?

Slightly click-bait title perhaps. But interesting. This is my first descent to this planet. Wow, I thought.

a1.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

Lovely.

But it's a glitch.

I took off again, turned around and tried to land again, things looked much more normal, thin atmos, sharp light and shadows in the cockpit. Then it glitched again, see below. More dense atmospheric effect and changed shadows and light in the cockpit. So I'm assuming something with the lighting engine glitched, giving the seemingly more substantial atmosphere.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

Attachments

• b4.jpg
    b4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 64
"normal" view from the surface compared to the glitched version.

I'm assuming something glitched with the lighting, intensity or something to do with the rendering, but the glitched version seems much closer to the pre alpha feel to the atmospheres. To me at least.

Screenshot_0368.jpg

a6.jpg

Could it be the angle of the starlight? Not arguing btw, just wondered if it was a perspective thing as it's difficult to discern from still shots.
No, it instantly shifted, definitely a glitch. I managed to get it to happen twice, once the full journey down was glitched - deep blue in quite high light - and then the second time it started normal and instantly glitched on the journey down. You can see the times, the switch from one to the other was a few seconds in the image.

The last 2 images above in my 2nd post, they were from different locations at different times, but the originals are sequences where the lighting just broke. It just broke really attractively :D

These two images are 4 seconds apart, the light in the cockpit changes as well as the atmosphere, like a switch has been flicked. The shadows and light that are so distinct in the first image change, the shadows are still there but dull. Star position hasn't changed or been obscured.

It seems to me like the intensity of the light, some setting in the engine, glitches and that interacts with the atmosphere to product a less harsh more volumetric feel. Not cutting through the atmosphere, but lighting it?

combined.jpg

No, it instantly shifted, definitely a glitch. I managed to get it to happen twice, once the full journey down was glitched - deep blue in quite high light - and then the second time it started normal and instantly glitched on the journey down. You can see the times, the switch from one to the other was a few seconds in the image.

The last 2 images above in my 2nd post, they were from different locations at different times, but the originals are sequences where the lighting just broke. It just broke really attractively :D

Nah that's cool mate, I was just genuinely curious. I don't mean you at all, but some posts on here seem to go for the outrage angle, so I just wanted to check if you had been looking at it right - in other words, I think I misunderstood your op where you said it popped in and out of vision. So my bad for misunderstanding what you were trying to describe!

There were some previous reports about the light changing like that on ringed planets as well... the root cause might be the same...

Nah that's cool mate, I was just genuinely curious. I don't mean you at all, but some posts on here seem to go for the outrage angle, so I just wanted to check if you had been looking at it right - in other words, I think I misunderstood your op where you said it popped in and out of vision. So my bad for misunderstanding what you were trying to describe!
Yeah I know what you mean, it's a shame I wasn't recording but I was just stunned at the look of the atmosphere so i kept spamming the screenshot button. Went back up to orbit and tried it again and the planet was 'normal' but at some point glitched again, then went back to 'normal' as I was close to the surface. But all in one sequence with the light in the same place. Wish I knew what was glitching but not something we can affect. The way the cockpit lighting changed as well suggests the lighting engine.

I think this is to do with the way the Odyssey lighting system is calibrated, rather than a bug as such.

I see a lot of jarring "jumps" in local light conditions, between lit and unlit, especially in situations with the sun near the horizon, on approach to the surface, or with shadows appearing and disappearing on partially-lit planets in the sky of another planet. It seems like shifts in lighting are being applied quite abruptly and aggressively. (And "globally" instead of locally, but I think that's a broader engine-wide issue).

I have been in situations that looked like the pre-alpha footage, and the above screenshots, but that's definitely the exception to the rule. The reason being, I think the interesting "in-between" phases of lighting are being edged out by the big, meaty increments the game is applying between light and dark environments.

Slightly click-bait title perhaps. But interesting. This is my first descent to this planet. Wow, I thought.

View attachment 299397

View attachment 299398

View attachment 299399

View attachment 299400

View attachment 299401

View attachment 299402

Lovely.

But it's a glitch.

I took off again, turned around and tried to land again, things looked much more normal, thin atmos, sharp light and shadows in the cockpit. Then it glitched again, see below. More dense atmospheric effect and changed shadows and light in the cockpit. So I'm assuming something with the lighting engine glitched, giving the seemingly more substantial atmosphere.

View attachment 299403

View attachment 299404

View attachment 299406
So, I visited your planet as well. And... yeah I was able to reproduce that bug. It's quite something I tell ya. I think I have never witnessed such magnificent atmospheric effects in edo yet.

zqO3Aa5.jpg

SmFgPyr.jpg

One screenshot later however it switched back to it's "normal" appearance.
0YL95Wi.jpg

But there is a much more interesting thing going on I believe. If you look closely you can see that the atmoshperic effects are working in all three shots, HOWEVER in the last one everything is illuminated by the star and some things don't cast long enough shadows --> the haze drowns in the brighter surfaces. For example: look at the mountains on the bottom left corner of my pictures.

My theory is that the current lighting engine sometimes illuminates things that should be obstructed. You can also see the same thing with gas giants - where sometimes stars shine right through them as if they were translucent.

Top Bottom