Pre+nerf Python stats

Why does everyone always seem to assume that having a long jump range is the definitive aspect of an exploration ship? What an unfortunate game world that would be, where the best part of exploring it would be to skip over it as much as possible.

For your humble consideration. → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...Ships!/page3?p=2828837&viewfull=1#post2828837

Exactly, when I go on an exploration trip I switch to economic route planning as soon as I'm a couple hundred ly out of the bubble.
When I'm in a interesting area I plot one jump at the time.
A longer jumprange only comes in handy when you go way up or down the galactic plane were stars are spread thin.
Exploring is not getting as far as possible as fast as possible imho, it gets boring realy fast that way.

Manuverability in SC is just a gimmick, not a real exploration advantage. Mind you, the Eagle has even more manuverability.
Jump range is the key to unlock a few places around the galaxy, which is what explorers do. If you want to use it to Buckyball then that's on you.

Not sure how supercruise maneuverability is a gimmick, leastwise not any more so than jump range in regard to exploration specifically. It's saved me at least a few times from crashing into stars. Might be more of a gimmick after this sort of risk factor is eliminated in 2.4 though... Either way, it's a much more enjoyable ride, and makes bagging and tagging things just a bit more efficient, say a gas giant with a lot of moons. I also have an Eagle exploration ship, but playing the game as a survivalist as I do, I tend to prefer the Vulture over it for its additional advantages there.

Last edited:
Exactly, when I go on an exploration trip I switch to economic route planning as soon as I'm a couple hundred ly out of the bubble.
When I'm in a interesting area I plot one jump at the time.
A longer jumprange only comes in handy when you go way up or down the galactic plane were stars are spread thin.
Exploring is not getting as far as possible as fast as possible imho, it gets boring realy fast that way.

Yeah, for me personally, trying to race places over say 5K LY just drags on me, regardless of whatever ship I'm using.

I consider myself an explorer but an Eagle or Vulture? naaah
I absolutely hate the Conda though, many explorers use them because of it's jumprange but it's maneuverability in sc is horrid while sc is where you spend the most time, plus it's forward view is half filled with Conda.
AspX, DBX, Cobra, Python, Orca, Beluga, Courier, Clipper, all fine exploration ships imho, when equipped correctly that is.

I absolutely hate the Conda though, many explorers use them because of it's jumprange but it's maneuverability in sc is horrid while sc is where you spend the most time, plus it's forward view is half filled with Conda.
AspX, DBX, Cobra, Python, Orca, Beluga, Courier, Clipper, all fine exploration ships imho, when equipped correctly that is.

I honestly forgot about the Clipper! I didn't keep mine early on as I couldn't find a use for it with it's large pad requirement, even though I loved flying it. This (exploring) just might be the use I was looking for, thanks!

Beyond the Python I mentioned earlier, I also have a Cobra for those really hard to reach places... [hehe]

But yeah, I do prefer my Vulture in general for exploration. Just too much fun to use, and I haven't really found any substantial reason why I shouldn't use it. Good fuel scooping, good supercruise maneuverability, good maneuverability over worlds, high survivability, decent view, and good heat tolerance. But hey, to each their own.

Cheers.

Last edited:
The Clipper is a joy to fly, and flying is all you do when you're exploring :D

True that! Virtual rep +1 :)

EDIT: well except that I can take 2 srvs with me for materials gathering, and still be within approx. one light year of the jump range of a Python. And with a 7A fuel scoop. :eek:

Last edited:
For the most part I just don't bother with the elements of the game I don't care for. There's enough of it that I do like at least, but if there isn't for someone else, sometimes it's better just to move on. And who knows, maybe Frontier will make the game all that much more compelling and enjoyable in the future while reworking Engineers and he'll come back.

Last edited:
It was pretty big - well over 30% to shields and thrusters, and that wasn't all. It had stronger shields than an anaconda, and handled like a Viper in terms of flight model, boosted to well over 400 (450 from memory?), it was a seriously epic ship - truly overpowered at the time, and it did need a bit of. A balance - but FD have a habit of wildly swing from polar opposites rather than small adjustments when it comes to "balance".

Keep in mind, at the time, making money was hard, there were very few large ships around - a player in an anaconda was a rare sight, and just about required a message to the CMDR flying it asking them how they liked it. the Python was not too far short of that status, I did not see many of them, and was the only one in my group to have one, and very rarely saw another.

Z...

It took me like 3 months in a Sidewinder before I jumped to the Cobra and took me probably another 4-6 months in the Cobra before I made it to the Asp. Nowadays I can make the money to buy an Asp in a few hours. Times have changed. I bought the game the first day it released to the general public, the game has changed quite a bit and not necessarily for the better.

Check Coriolis: some of the data in that printscreen is wrong. Python has 348 mps max boost speed, not 280. Also max speed is 267, etc... A graded, of course. Who cares for the E stuff?

Last edited:
Top Bottom