Dinosaurs Predator hunting behavior tweaks

Your Feature Request / Idea
I didn't see a thread for this already, so hopefully it I'm not just repeating what's already been suggested here.

So in a past patch, carnivore behavior was modified so that they wouldn't kill constantly, and only "when they needed to." However, in practice, I don't think the change made much of a difference. The way I understand it is that there is now an invisible "hunt" need for carnivores, and they will hunt when that need isn't met. However, it doesn't seem to reduce how often the carnivores hunt. In my experience after the patch, it seems like carnivores still kill other dinosaurs on a constant basis.

I think this would be improved if the carnivores instead only hunted when their hunger dropped to the red. Some exceptions could be made to this, however. I believe it was noted that the hybrids were exempt from the changes made in the patch, and that's fine. Those dinosaurs seem to be very violent by nature (for lack of a better term). But normal carnivorous dinosaurs should only kill when they need to eat, IMO. This would make creating a realistic ecosystem more doable, and providing alternative sources of food could keep carnivores from getting hungry enough to hunt in the first place. Ever wonder why sharks in captivity doesn't eat the fish they live with? It's because they're fed regularly and don't feel the need to kill for food.

Besides the need to eat, two other things could trigger a carnivore to hunt as well. First, stress could prompt them to kill nearby herbivores as an outlet. And second, if the population in an enclosure gets higher than it likes, it would kill to bring the population down to a more tolerable level. Of course, overpopulation could lead to the carnivore becoming stressed out anyway, but having a carnivore hunt when it feels crowded but is not below its comfort threshold would keep it from trying to break the fence.

There's one other little caveat, though. The carnivores in the movies seem to think humans are these irresistible snacks. They seem quite obsessed with eating people, actually. So they can still hunt people when they get loose, whether they're hungry or not. It would make things too easy otherwise.

Well sharks kept in captivity are usually the least aggresive species, such as the sand tiger shark. Great Whites can't function in captivity for example. Although I agree with you to a certain extent, animals also kill over territory... :)

Top Bottom