Presenting the odyssey engineer upgrade cheat sheet. (WIP) It shows the materials required for suit and weapon upgrades. materials for mods. ETC

ED UPGRADE PLANNER.png
ED UPGRADE PLANNER 2.png
ED UPGRADE PLANNER 3.png

Ill just copy paste everything from my reddit post because ive been working on this for nearly 7 hours now and im feeling a bit lazy.
extra link for easy access: Odyssey suit/wep upgrade cheat sheet.

EDIT 2: most of the pages have now been completed baring some additional formatting and coloring to make it clearer. the first page should show the basic information and the engi mods page contains a list of ALL ITEMS obtainable in odyssey. if they are needed and if they are not (so you can sell and trade with ease)
im now working on a build designer on the last page (WIP).
the goal is you can pick what upgrade level you want for each item and itll spit out the required materials for that upgrade and mod selection. (wish me luck lmao).
if you have any requests or notice anything is wrong please let me know. thanks. feel free to share the link but refer to to this post so i can get some of that sweet reddit karma.

So the top left you can see we have weapons. this includes all the materials required to upgrade all combined weapons from 1-5.

under that we have suits. the same goes here all combined suit materials required to go from 1-5. the next column shows if that material is tradeable at a bartender.

The grey/black sections are the bartenders trade options. all 3 sections chem/circuit/tech. the value of each component (and its barter up/down value) and if that component is required for a upgrade (Y) yes or (N) no. a red (Y) indicates that component is required for a MOD. So any component that just has a N indicates that is not required for any known upgrade/mod yet. NOTE: some mods have not been discovered and these materials may be required for engineers that have not been discovered/unlocked. however id say you could just go ahead and trade these for needed components as the time taken to unlock the next engineer would probably give you enough time to farm up the components again. and for example if you aren't going for mods yet and just want upgrades. you can go ahead and trade the ones with a red (Y) too.

The SUIT MODS section and the WEP MODS section includes MOST of the known weapon and suit mods which can be found in the ENGI MODS page at the bottom of the sheet.. it shows the Type of component. tech/chem/data/circ/compo/goods(components/goods, these are like circ/tech/chem but are generaly not tradeable and just random untradeable things like power regulators/drugs found at various sites/settlements/bases/crashed ship/satellite)

the best sources down the bottom right will eventualy include links to guides that will explain how to farm/obtain the materials/components.

(As i was making it i became aware that the red/green color combo may be difficult for color blind people to see. i don't know enough about color blindness to do anything about that right now but you can simply select the whole sheet and change the background color to black/white and the text to black/white. the color isn't really needed but it helps define certain things that aren't formatted well yet...)

I don't need the tool (I find the volume of items in Odyssey just about manageable in my head, with Inara to help me remind myself which is needed for what) but +1 for the effort. It is a bit sad that we always need these things in Elite and I do wish Fdev would recognise that it's not a positive quality to design their game to this granular, non-manageable level.

But good work is good work.

This is great. I've been keeping track on a sheet of paper but this is significantly better.

I appreciate this, and will definitely make use of it.

Is it really that difficult to provide such info in game? I don’t understand why FDev insist that the player base does most of the finishing touches… it’s like they are going full Bethesda style.
C’mon, a player spent several hours of their spare time to make things a bit more convenient… why can’t the dev team do that?

I wanted to use the ED Engineer 3rd part tool but since the Odyssey inventory is split in such ridiculous manner (multiple values of the same material, hello?!) it’s not even usable.

Last edited:
Is it really that difficult to provide such info in game? I don’t understand why FDev insist that the player base does most of the finishing touches… it’s like they are going full Bethesda style.
C’mon, a player spent several hours of their spare time to make things a bit more convenient… why can’t the dev team do that?

I wanted to use the ED Engineer 3rd part tool but since the Odyssey inventory is split in such ridiculous manner (multiple values of the same material, hello?!) it’s not even usable.

First - to the OP, THANK YOU.

Second - A bit late to the party for me, but I think the reason that FD doesn't do this kind of thing themselves is to make the process of upgrading suits, ships, weapons, etc, a bit like an adventure game of old - in those games, you had to seek out clues and solve the puzzles yourself in order to complete the game. This is, likely, the same kind of thing.

That's my thought, anyway...

First - to the OP, THANK YOU.

Second - A bit late to the party for me, but I think the reason that FD doesn't do this kind of thing themselves is to make the process of upgrading suits, ships, weapons, etc, a bit like an adventure game of old - in those games, you had to seek out clues and solve the puzzles yourself in order to complete the game. This is, likely, the same kind of thing.

That's my thought, anyway...
That doesn’t make sense as we have all kinds of info in Horizons readily available.

We can pin the blueprints to check what mat is needed.
We have notes on where to look for these materials.
And most importantly we can trade everything in Horizons, including data.

So why not in Odyssey?

I think FDev just don’t care enough, didn’t have the time or wanted to make the engineering as tedious and frustrating as possible so players would have to spend more time in the game.

That doesn’t make sense as we have all kinds of info in Horizons readily available.

We can pin the blueprints to check what mat is needed.
We have notes on where to look for these materials.
And most importantly we can trade everything in Horizons, including data.

So why not in Odyssey?

I think FDev just don’t care enough, didn’t have the time or wanted to make the engineering as tedious and frustrating as possible so players would have to spend more time in the game.

Remember that Horizons has been an established, mature product for quite a while. Everything that we could do in Horizons is something we can do in Odyssey. When I was playing Horizons, I had to research materials required for upgrades, etc online as well, so I see no difference here.

Remember that Horizons has been an established, mature product for quite a while. Everything that we could do in Horizons is something we can do in Odyssey. When I was playing Horizons, I had to research materials required for upgrades, etc online as well, so I see no difference here.
Yes, but you don’t introduce a new DLC with downgrades.
Everything that is in Horizons should be in Odyssey as well. But no, FDev decided to take away stuff for whatever reason.

Yes, but you don’t introduce a new DLC with downgrades.
Everything that is in Horizons should be in Odyssey as well. But no, FDev decided to take away stuff for whatever reason.
I honestly don't know what you're referring to. I have not seen a single thing that is in Horizons but not in Odyssey.

I honestly don't know what you're referring to. I have not seen a single thing that is in Horizons but not in Odyssey.
Anything engineering related is worse/missing in Odyssey:

1. Missing information on where to look for materials that we can look up in Horizons (so players don’t have to waste time making spreadsheets but can play the game instead)
2. Inability to pin a blueprint to track progress of your engineering (present in Horizons)
3. Inability to trade data (present in Horizons)
4. Data dropping in 1 instead of 3 making the process more tiresome (present in Horizons)
5. (not engineering related) Original UI that was introduced was missing tons of information that were already present in Horizons (in GalMap, system map, outfitting and ship management)

These are just from the top of my head, I’m sure I could think of more things that are missing in Odyssey but are in Horizons.
Hence the downgrade of many aspects of the game.

Anything engineering related is worse/missing in Odyssey:

1. Missing information on where to look for materials that we can look up in Horizons (so players don’t have to waste time making spreadsheets but can play the game instead)

Incorrect. Unless there is somewhere you have been looking that I have not, that information is not present in Horizons. OR - that information IS available in Odyssey - when I go into a supplier for suit upgrades, the required items for each upgrade are listed.

2. Inability to pin a blueprint to track progress of your engineering (present in Horizons)

Incorrect. I have that option in Odyssey as well as in Horizons.

3. Inability to trade data (present in Horizons)

Incorrect. I have traded data just recently in Odyssey.

4. Data dropping in 1 instead of 3 making the process more tiresome (present in Horizons)

You're stretching here. You say (present in Horizons) yet in the exact same statement, you admit it is also present in Odyssey, just not to the level you would personally like it to be.

5. (not engineering related) Original UI that was introduced was missing tons of information that were already present in Horizons (in GalMap, system map, outfitting and ship management)

Whether true or not, this has impacted my experience neither positively nor negatively.

These are just from the top of my head, I’m sure I could think of more things that are missing in Odyssey but are in Horizons.
Hence the downgrade of many aspects of the game.

You seem to hate Odyssey. Or, at least, dislike it rather intensely. Why are you continuing to play it, then? Go back to playing Horizons and leave it at that.

Top Bottom