Professional Assassination: Target Fled?

Seems related to the other missions that require you to find a mission POI on a planet surface. The ones with the caches

Seems related to the other missions that require you to find a mission POI on a planet surface. The ones with the caches

I've completed an assassination mission when target fled, with no issues, post patch 5.
But i had to abandon 3 missions with retrieve from wreckage since there was no poi.
So it does not seem to be related (op reported his issue before patch 5)

I've completed an assassination mission when target fled, with no issues, post patch 5.
But i had to abandon 3 missions with retrieve from wreckage since there was no poi.
So it does not seem to be related (op reported his issue before patch 5)
Ah - ok.

Once I had a mark that "fled" to a planet 100kls from the settlement that was so close to a star I couldn't leave my craft... AND YET THEY WERE WALKING AROUND and it was the sunny side. If I hadn't had an SRV, I would have been boned. The randomization needs to be tuned.

Well, at least it was a Kill mission.
I got 2-3 missions to retrieve stuff from planets too hot to disembark... and had to abandon them all.
I wonder if there is a connection about those missions that happened pre-patch5 and the fact that now we dont have any poi for such missions post patch5?

Accept Professional Assassination mission at mission board in a station/outpost.
Get in my ship and Launch.
As soon as I launch, I get an in-game mail saying, "Mission Alert: Target Fleeing. Commander, The target made a break for it. Fortunately, I pulled a few strings to ensure they didn't get far. I'm sending you the new location now. Make sure they don't get away."
At the bottom of that message it says, "Mission Details - Target Body: Currently Unknown. Scan Required."
So I honk the system - nothing.
I go to the Nav Beacon and scan it - nothing.
I jump into FSS - every planet/signal that I can find is revealed - nothing.
I head to the planet that was the original target, land at the base and search their terminal for the target - nothing.
I pull up the Navigation menu - nothing.
I Look at the Contacts menu - nothing.
Pulling up the Mission in the Transaction screen, it says "Mission Details - Target Body: Currently Unknown. Scan Required"
I've done a lot of these. When they flee, two things can happen:
  1. It can actually tell the planetary body they are on
  2. Or it can say "Target Body: Currently Unknown. Scan Required" as your did.
If it says number 2, I would recommend going to the system's nav beacon and scanning it. That should resolve the planetary body.

Once you know the planetary body, just fly to it and get real close (sometime to the point of about to do planetary entry). In the nave panel, you should see a blue (mission color) planetary nav point labeled "Encrypted signal". Head straight for that.

Land somewhere nearby - preferably at least 300m or more away so you can get the drop on them. Your target will be walking around near his parked, or crashed, ship - usually a sidewinder or eagle. No guards, easy to kill. You can also loot the box and (if wearing a maverick suit) you should be able to cut into the ship panels (bottom of each wing on the Eagle) and possible retrieve a good power regulator as well as other components.

I absolutely LOVE this complication as it almost always means my job just got a LOT easier and there is bonus loot to be had.

What annoys me is i still get a bounty, even tho the dude is alone in the middle of nowhere :/
Yeah, I don't think they've worked out the entire workflow yet on ground based assassinations.

If it is marked as a legal mission, you shouldn't get a bounty for killing the target. I've noticed that I don't get bounties for killing targets - or collateral targets - that have bounties themselves. This is a probably a more obscure bug that will take them time to root out. Lord knows they've got bigger problems to deal with.

On the bright side, the bounties are small and easily paid off. Also, no "notoriety" to worry about.

I got 2-3 missions to retrieve stuff from planets too hot to disembark... and had to abandon them all.
I wonder if there is a connection about those missions that happened pre-patch5 and the fact that now we dont have any poi for such missions post patch5?
I got sent HERE for a sabotage mission. I have a feeling if it was my own ship and not Apex that landed I wouldn't have been able to get out:

bit warm today.png

856K. I was literally melting in my suit, health depleting in 10% chunks every few seconds.

WHY WOULD ANY SETTLEMENT BE LOGICALLY PLACED HERE.

I got sent HERE for a sabotage mission. I have a feeling if it was my own ship and not Apex that landed I wouldn't have been able to get out:

View attachment 248858
856K. I was literally melting in my suit, health depleting in 10% chunks every few seconds.

Was it. Research settlement? Because that could make some level of sense

As an update, I also wonder if there's a connection. I'm currently sitting on an assassination mission where the target fled and I'm not getting a POI at the planet listed in the mission update. And, suggestively, I've had to abandon several "retrieve from crash" missions to this same planet because the POIs didn't appear.

I'll be quite annoyed if I have to abandon this one, I negotiated the reward up to 5 power regulators!

View attachment 248858

Many placements make no sense. I murderhobo'd visited a tourist settlement on an unremarkable dustball, nothing to see there.
No idea of the touristic value, and agri settlements in a galaxy of millions of earth likes doesn't make all too much sense either.

Since the topic is still being discussed and I haven't seen it mentioned:

USING APEX STOPS THIS FROM HAPPENING.

If you take these missions then use Apex, you'll find you never get those messages and when you get to the settlement they'll be there.

Ditto settlement massacres/raids.

I always scan the nav beacon in the system where the mission was supposed to occur. A new planet destination will be marked in blue. Fly to said planet and look for 'Encrypted Signal' POI. Fly to signal, see a crashed Eagle or Sidewinder with target running around outside. Fire a salvo of dumbfire missiles. Return back to station for breakfast.

Top Bottom