Propose to your unknown animal

Hello, I know that there are many animals that are still missing that are common in zoos, recognized and loved by the majority. But I think there is a opportunity to add unknown animals that, due to their characteristics, lifestyle and taxonomy, we could give them more voice. For the same reason, I would like to hear which species are that they would like people to consider and give them more strength to be added to the game.

In my case it is the Tamandua, being an arboreal anteater, that I have had the opportunity to see it several times in zoos with an agility and speed that one would not think they would be capable of, being fun animals to see and unique. In addition to being able to add a more endemic representative of Central America with the Northern tamandua

Ícono de validado por la comunidad
Tamandua-mexicana-foto-lifeder-1024x683.jpg
Baby tamandua born at UK zoo - CBBC Newsround

Some love for this little friend?

I really want to see the Marine Iguana. They'd be the third habitat lizard, and the first one capable of deep diving. They're not usually kept in zoos, but that hasn't stopped Frontier before from adding animals like the Moose and Proboscis Monkey. Plus, I just want more habitat reptiles in general.

I really want to see the Marine Iguana. They'd be the third habitat lizard, and the first one capable of deep diving. They're not usually kept in zoos, but that hasn't stopped Frontier before from adding animals like the Moose and Proboscis Monkey. Plus, I just want more habitat reptiles in general.
There are tiers to animal species in zoos.

Only found in specific climate zoos: Moose (though still common, with over a 100 facilities in europe alone)
Rare in captivity: Giant otter
Locked to zoos in natural region: Proboscis monkey

The marine iguana is different in that it has literally never been succesfully kept in zoos.

Last edited:
There are tiers to animal in zoos.

Only found in soecifuc climate zoos: Moose (though still common, with over a 100 facilities in europe alone)
Rare in captivity: Giant otter
Locked to zoos in natural region: Proboscis monkey

The marine oguana is different in that it has literally never been succesfully kept in zoos.
Fair point.

My favorite living animal is the gray fox (North America).
Why?

Well, besides the beautiful pattern and coloration (and the fact that it's a canine), this animal is amazing because it can climb trees to escape predators.
Imagine a having a climbing fox in-game

GrayFox-Climbing_up_tree.jpg
19316901142_b7e4a858b5_b.jpg
gray-fox.jpg

Isn't it a beaut? I love these. I've always wanted to see one, but they're elusive

Well, besides the beautiful pattern and coloration (and the fact that it's a canine), this animal is amazing because it can climb trees to escape predators.
Imagine a having a climbing fox in-game
Gray fox + Tamandua they both can be for a Climbing DLC, small mammals or Mexico-Centro America theme, perfect (I love them too I have seen them in the wild once)

A real favourite of mine (beside the yellow-throated marten and ocellated turkey, who I've already discussed loads elsewhere) is the Owston's civet, from the mountainous forests of Vietnam and Laos. They are about the size of a domestic cat, have beautiful patterns and are also pretty cute, especially as babies.

1635107923394.png

1635107940570.png

They can be kept in both nocturnal and diurnal enclosures and are able to climb, which could provide different ways to keep them. Because they eat almost nothing but earthworms, they can be mixed with all sorts of small animals that a more regular small carnivore of a similar size would just prey on (some places have kept them with tortoises and another with both squirrels and tree shrews).

They are also highly endangered and they are one of the few carnivores for which a captive breeding programme is considered necessary for survival. There are already a few zoos in the UK that keep them, and I believe zoos in both America and Singapore also have plans to get them in the future.

A real favourite of mine (beside the yellow-throated marten and ocellated turkey, who I've already discussed loads elsewhere) is the Owston's civet, from the mountainous forests of Vietnam and Laos. They are about the size of a domestic cat, have beautiful patterns and are also pretty cute, especially as babies.

View attachment 270558

View attachment 270559

They can be kept in both nocturnal and diurnal enclosures and are able to climb, which could provide different ways to keep them. Because they eat almost nothing but earthworms, they can be mixed with all sorts of small animals that a more regular small carnivore of a similar size would just prey on (some places have kept them with tortoises and another with both squirrels and tree shrews).

They are also highly endangered and they are one of the few carnivores for which a captive breeding programme is considered necessary for survival. There are already a few zoos in the UK that keep them, and I believe zoos in both America and Singapore also have plans to get them in the future.
take a closer look at that snout!

• Like (+1)
Reactions: Axo
There is a bird I kind of want, but it feels a bit odd as a stand alone. Had we had Humboldt penguins it would have been a great addition to their enclosures.
It was more of a bird I wanted to see in the game back when flying animations felt more unlikely (not saying it will happen now, but it feels like at least a maybe these days)

I present to you:
The Fuegian steamer duck (Tachyeres pteneres) also known as the Magellanic flightless steamer duck.
A flightless duck from South America, what is not to like?

Tachyeres pteneres.jpg

Around 10 zoos in Europe got them, not sure they are to be seen anywhere else in captivity.
Maybe not the most interesting looking waterfowl, but they would for sure add something unique.

There is a bird I kind of want, but it feels a bit odd as a stand alone. Had we had Humboldt penguins it would have been a great addition to their enclosures.
It was more of a bird I wanted to see in the game back when flying animations felt more unlikely (not saying it will happen now, but it feels like at least a maybe these days)

I present to you:
The Fuegian steamer duck (Tachyeres pteneres) also known as the Magellanic flightless steamer duck.
A flightless duck from South America, what is not to like?

View attachment 270640

Around 10 zoos in Europe got them, not sure they are to be seen anywhere else in captivity.
Maybe not the most interesting looking waterfowl, but they would for sure add something unique.
Lets be besties

The takin is probably my single most-wanted mammal in PZ after the capybara. It would simultaneously beef up the poorly-represented caprines while also being quite unique in and of itself, and would be a perfect addition to temperate/cool-weather Asia areas. There are four distinct subspecies; the most common one in zoos internationally, and the one I'd choose for PZ, is the Sichuan takin, native to a large swathe of western China. Their appeal definitely tracks closely with that of the musk ox, but I think the takin would have more versatility.
Sichuan_Takin,_Lincoln_Park_Zoo,_Chicago.jpg

Another mammal which I think would be a fantastic addition is the rock hyrax, native to the arid grasslands and mountains of Africa and the Middle East with a range stretching from Lebanon to South Africa. While resembling rabbits or guinea pigs, a closer inspection of their paws and incisors would show that hyraxes are quite different; in fact, they are part of Afrotheria, a clade which also includes elephants, manatees, and the aardvark; like elephants, they also have a fairly long gestation period (8 months, which is triple that for comparably-sizes mammals) and complex social interactions. If the Africa Pack had gone full-on with a North Africa/Middle East theme, I think the rock hyrax would have been a great fit, though they might have been passed over for the crested porcupine.
Hyrax_on_the_Rocks.JPG

Top Bottom