Ps4 and VR

So I’ve been playing for some time long enough to have the ships I think I want in full engineered condition and have full rank in both fed and empire.
Only saying that because I’d like to get the VR read that people were really liking it and it refreshed the game for them.

what I don’t want to do is start over. I’m honestly not sure what I even need to get to make VR work besides the obvious glasses but I’m figuring a different purchased version of the game.

what I want to really know is if I get this stuff can I sign into my same account and play the account I been playing or would I need to start over cause not sure I’m up for starting from scratch.

also sure this isn’t the place to ask but anyone playing the VR does it give ya a headache after awhile? Have a headset drone and after an hour or two your ready to get it off.

thanks.

You can still wear the headset while you play + hotas is still pretty cool. The head phones drown out your living room. Its more like movie screen size and some things are a little burry like small letters or numbers. But to me its noticeably more immersive. Could even imagine the feel of the headset is your remlock mask

I had just gotten ahead of myself is all read about others having such a good time with the VR just hadn’t read enough to know it wasn’t for the ps4.

love my VR goggles with my drone using the look to fly or just head track gimbal makes flying a thousand times better figured similar with the game would rock and just didn’t search enough beforehand.
Who knows maybe when ps5 comes out.

Who knows maybe when ps5 comes out.

I was discussing this with a pal the other day and it seems fairly likely that FDev will seek to bring out an updated version for the new consoles. This would not only explain the awful performance on Ps4 of late, but also the delays for FC's and the not yet remembered Ice worlds.

At that point I'd imagine the code will be so similar to PC that most of the functionality and native support will come along with that. Sony definatly at least, will certainly bring out another VR headset and FDev would be outright stupid not to capitalize on that.

Now if only we could get Sony to give the HOTAS contract to a company that does'nt sell the least durable setup conceiveable.

Have you tried any of the psvr space games? Theyre fun for the price but definitely not elite.
Don’t have vr haven’t tried it besides oculus in a Best Buy demo but that isn’t really the same isn’t the ps4 version and not the game either so I guess I’ll have to say I don’t know be again besides my dji drone I have the goggles for for head tracking flight or gimbal but that isn’t 3D either.

anyway who know maybe in the future I’ll get one.
Will say I thought the oculus was pretty cool not sure how much is out there for it as I won’t make the mistake of getting on board early like I did with the 3D tv we got years ago that flopped.

I bought a PSVR, just because it was cheap (£160) and I had hoped the initial "we don't have any news about VR yet" that Frontier gave us when Elite launched on PS4 would eventually turn into something other total stony silence.

Since then NMS has evolved to support PSVR and I've had my money's worth playing some of the other VR titles available on the PSN Store.

I did also get my PSVR working with PC using Trinus VR software to run Elite in VR with Steam. It runs on Ultra settings and to be honest is pretty damn good for a £160 VR headset.

I know this is not possible for everyone but I thought I'd share my experience and thoughts.

(commiserations on the 3D TV by the way.... :) actually though, I think Elite supports 3D on PC...)

It's do think it's a real shame that the original intentions Frontier seemingly had for the PS4 port of Elite have essentially been silently abandoned.

The PSVR doesn't have the horsepower for Elite. It could, actually, but it would require a lot of console specific optimizations to cut corners and maximize memory usage in ways that are abnormal for a PC design team. For example, the Metal Gear Solid 2 team cut a lot of corners with visuals by making a lot of structures one-sided. For example, when Raiden would go outside and see the Shell structures in view, those structures were one or two sided at best. The backs were hollowed out and removed to help reduce memory load. Now if it was just one platform Fdev was working with, they could utilize a lot of tricks like that to get the game looking great in VR without kicking the system's butt in the process, but the game currently does not do this as it's far easier to follow one set of dev guidelines that will export from PC to console without too much issue.

The amount of work they would have to do to get the game to work on VR would likely result in a purchase of a standalone VR version of the game - and then risk profit loss against sales of those that actually use the PSVR and those that use the VR and would have an interest in Elite.

In other words, the risk is too great right now. Would require too much time and money and may not turn profitable. Instead, it's better that the team wait until the PS5, with it's significantly beefed up PSVR2 plans in tow. It should have enough horsepower to then utilize much of the same design mechanics shared by the PC version of the game that support VR. (And then some)

Since the PS5 is a year and change away, won't have to wait much longer.

I would rather buy a standalone psvr version than have to buy a new console next year and still have to buy the game again for the new console. The consumer (myself) has no sympathy for the devs and how hard their job is. When is the last time you cared if the food you ordered in a restaurant was difficult to cook.

I promise if i have to rebuy full game and all additional dlc again for ps5 just to get the game on vr ill spend my money elsewhere

Well first off, the PS4 version of Elite would be backward compatible on the PS5. You wouldn't have to buy the game again. You would have to buy the new console and the new PSVR2, which is going to set you back at ballpark 700$.

The current PSVR is just too weak in terms of what it can do, visually. It doesn't have the power to process what it needs to. It struggles already with No Man's Sky, which is of much simpler design. Games like Resident Evil VII only look as gorgeous as they do because it was A) built from the ground up to utilize VR, and said shortcuts were employed in the design of the game, and B) the game takes place primarily indoors, which severely reduces memory requirements compared to an open world game.

"The consumer (myself) has no sympathy for the devs and how hard their job is " -- You speak only for yourself, and do yourself zero credit.
"When is the last time you cared if the food you ordered in a restaurant was difficult to cook. " - See above. Acting like an entitled punk gets you nowhere.

Nobody is forcing you do anything. If you can't understand what i've said then surely you have bigger issues to worry about than a video game.

These are assumptions. If you had gta5 on ps3 you still had to buy a new gta5 on ps4. Why would it be different? They would be taking money out of their own pockets to do it that way. I hope you are right but im not holding on to any expectations. Ive become too familiar with being let down by being hopeful.

"Acting like an entitled punk gets you nowhere."

Its not entitlement. Its looking at the real world the way it really happens. Its the truth whether you like it or not. The consumer isnt concerned with the problems of the company, just the finished product. If they have to sacrifice goats and virgins to Kthulu, im cool with it as long as i get the finished product. Im not sure how what i said upset you, but you need to back off. I AM entitled to my opinion. You dont need to try stomping all over it just because it isnt your opinion.

Last edited:
These are assumptions. If you had gta5 on ps3 you still had to buy a new gta5 on ps4. Why would it be different? They would be taking money out of their own pockets to do it that way. I hope you are right but im not holding on to any expectations. Ive become too familiar with being let down by being hopeful.
ntitled to my opinion. You dont need to try stomping all over it just because it isnt your opinion.

At least on Sony's part, it has been confirmed that the PS5 will be backward compatible, thus able to run any game purchased for the PS4 out of the box. It's up to the publisher though if they'll upgrade the graphics of the prexisting version and add new functionality like VR in an update, or if they'll rather release an overhauled "remastered" version you'll probably have to purchase again.

At least on Sony's part, it has been confirmed that the PS5 will be backward compatible, thus able to run any game purchased for the PS4 out of the box. It's up to the publisher though if they'll upgrade the graphics of the prexisting version and add new functionality like VR in an update, or if they'll rather release an overhauled "remastered" version you'll probably have to purchase again.
I know. Its what irks me so much. I really dont have any faith in frontier post production.

That's a false narrative.

GTAV on PS3 was entirely different architecture than the PS4 version. Everybody worth their salt knows how difficult it was trying to code around the cells and split memory environment the PS3 featured. PS3 was not BC with the PS4. The PS5 will be bc with the PS4. That's what's different. Also, in case you forgot, Rockstar allowed you to carry over data from the PS3 version of the game to the PS4 version. They continued to support the PS3 version of the game for years before pulling the plug (due to exploits on jailbroken PS3s and waning income generation). Same as Daybreak did with DC Universe Online. They kept the PS3 version afloat for years until pulling the plug when it stopped selling and the userbase grew sparse on that platform.

If Frontier wants to release a free patch that will install enhanced visuals to the PS4 version of Elite, when played on the PS5, that's up to them. It's doable, and publishers have done similar before. Just the same they could release a VR patch as well (though there would be a cost associated with R&D for coding on the PSVR2 - which would cost even more if space legs and ground combat do become a thing). No Man's Sky, made by an indie studio, got it's free VR patch. Nobody had to pay anything for it. In a reciprocal case, The Persistence received a patch that allowed the game to be played without the PSVR (was 'VR exclusive prior to).

Obviously VR tech is the future of gaming. If you've never played on VR (especially the higher end stuff on PC), it's absolutely ridiculous. Even people like me with pretty bad eye issues can use the PSVR. Sony's not about to give it up, and they are going to be making a big push for the PSVR2. Recent shakeups at Sony pretty much saw the western end of the spectrum secure power to enforce the push and adoption rate of the PS5 from the 4 at levels that have not been seen before. It would seem there was stagnation on the Japanese front, where gaming itself is in a long-running state of decay. With the western division spearheading next gen, it gives them everything they need to entice publishers and developers to get on board with next gen, including VR.

Like said already, a lot of publishers have been disappointed with the PSVR due to it's lack of flexibility and performance. It's like coding for last gen standards. That's not what sells. That's not fire and it isn't going to get the masses to spend and invest on fairly expensive equipment. What was also limiting was the PSVR's controllers - the outdated PS Move wands that feature horrid button placement and a lack of PSP-like analog sliders or even full analog sticks. Too many additional peripherals end up being thrown into the mix like the new gun with built in analogs, and now they have rudder foot pads, all in an effort to resolve the issues with interface and lousy controls. (Instead of, you know, just making new move controllers with an analog each). Unfortunately we have no idea if this issue will be resolved as we only have hints of patents for a new move-like device they're working on, but very well may end up still quite limited.

At least when it comes to Elite, you'll be able to play using your regular controller and the VR headset, or flight stick & headset. Might get a little weird if we do get ground combat, though. Trying to play games like Farpoint using the controller was definitely a less than stellar experience. If they decide to make aiming function with simple head look like REVII did, could get around a lot of potential issues.

I must not be worth much salt. Most of this isnt common knowledge to the general public. Much better elaboration though, i get what you're saying. Thanks for clarifying.

The PSVR doesn't have the horsepower for Elite. It could, actually, but it would require a lot of console specific optimizations to cut corners and maximize memory usage in ways that are abnormal for a PC design team. For example, the Metal Gear Solid 2 team cut a lot of corners with visuals by making a lot of structures one-sided. For example, when Raiden would go outside and see the Shell structures in view, those structures were one or two sided at best. The backs were hollowed out and removed to help reduce memory load. Now if it was just one platform Fdev was working with, they could utilize a lot of tricks like that to get the game looking great in VR without kicking the system's butt in the process, but the game currently does not do this as it's far easier to follow one set of dev guidelines that will export from PC to console without too much issue.

The amount of work they would have to do to get the game to work on VR would likely result in a purchase of a standalone VR version of the game - and then risk profit loss against sales of those that actually use the PSVR and those that use the VR and would have an interest in Elite.

In other words, the risk is too great right now. Would require too much time and money and may not turn profitable. Instead, it's better that the team wait until the PS5, with it's significantly beefed up PSVR2 plans in tow. It should have enough horsepower to then utilize much of the same design mechanics shared by the PC version of the game that support VR. (And then some)

Since the PS5 is a year and change away, won't have to wait much longer.

They already have preconfigured Low/Medium/High/Ultra VR graphics settings defined for varying grades of PC. Not saying any one setting would be directly 1:1 mappable with the PS4, but I'm sure that one (Medium at a guess) would be pretty damn close.I guess I don't understand on what basis you think it'd be so much work.

To your other point about the PSVR not being up to it - I have to disagree. I run Elite on PC with the PSVR with Ultra settings. It looks pretty impressive I have to say. Especially considering it only cost £160.

Last edited:
They already have preconfigured Low/Medium/High/Ultra VR graphics settings defined for varying grades of PC. Not saying any one setting would be directly 1:1 mappable with the PS4, but I'm sure that one (Medium at a guess) would be pretty damn close.I guess I don't understand on what basis you think it'd be so much work.

To your other point about the PSVR not being up to it - I have to disagree. I run Elite on PC with the PSVR with Ultra settings. It looks pretty impressive I have to say. Especially considering it only cost £160.
That's amazing! I paid $400 for mine to not be able to play Elite. I don't know if I'm mad at Sony or Frontier, I'm just irritated that I don't get the same game pc does for the same price.

Top Bottom