PS4 Hotas - is there a point?

Hi folks, so I was thinking about getting the HOTAS stick but the more I think about it, the less point there seems to be.

I get that on a PC where you can have direct access to a zillion commands thanks to the keyboard, having lots of those on quick access buttons is useful.

But the PS4HOTAS doesn't put any more controls in your hands than are already, erm, in your hands with the controller, right?

Has anyone who was comfortable using the controller found a significant benefit to moving to the currently available HOTAS ?

thanks in advance for any thoughts
CMDR t1mmyo
o7

Hi folks, so I was thinking about getting the HOTAS stick but the more I think about it, the less point there seems to be.

I get that on a PC where you can have direct access to a zillion commands thanks to the keyboard, having lots of those on quick access buttons is useful.

But the PS4HOTAS doesn't put any more controls in your hands than are already, erm, in your hands with the controller, right?

Has anyone who was comfortable using the controller found a significant benefit to moving to the currently available HOTAS ?

thanks in advance for any thoughts
CMDR t1mmyo
o7

I think not, nothing can make up the difference that experience bring to the game. However, there are gazillions of folks like me who are gonna play on a ps4 for the first time and have NOOOOO experience with either controler. There's a learning curve involved with either, ask your self, why do real pilots use a stick rather than a thumb type DS4. The button are labled the same and with reconfiguation work exactly the same. but even the most experienced will have to redevlope their muscle memory because they are in different locations. And using the hand and wrist is completly different than just thumbs. I've tried the DS4 and even though I don't do any combat, my general control of ship sucks. A hotas though not exactly the same as my the one in my real life plane, is close enough for a game.

I'm really really happy with how the PS4 controller works and feels - plenty responsive.... and if you look at some modern fighters they have similar small sticks for finger control to be used when the g forces hot up in combat. You can't pull a big stick at 7 or 8 g, so a playstation style joy is more manageable, located just under your hand that is weighing in at 8 times it's normal weight ;? Ouch. This is another reason why retina tracking is of use for target acquisition with modern HUDs and helmet cams. You can't get your arm up to the cockpit buttons!

So yea, the PS4 controller seems a much more likely real controller rather than an old fashioned hefty joystick. That with head-look (and voice commands would be sweet). Mind, some may disagree and want to be in more of a gun-ho Starwars type universe. I am also a great believer in auto-docking :) Yes, we all have to do manual docking initially...but once you have plopped a few on the deck it gets repetitive. In the 'real' world future, lets face it, not much would be manual. Even combat would be a case of selecting pre-programmed / computer adapted manoeuvres in fast sequence. The pilots job would be to work with the A1 to combine manoeuvre strategies, rather than hold onto a rod of steel, waggling about frantically and trying to control a ship travelling at such ludicrous speeds.

Taking it further... I'm sure Scott Manley could tell us - but I reckon there must be some new anti-G technology in use on our ships.... because I'm pretty sure we should all be dead pulling crazy manoeuvres and slingshotting off planets. Idea for another module? I'll post in suggestions section LOL.

Reality, it sucks :)

I'll toss in my two penny worth here.

I started playing Elite with the DS4, totally fell in love with the game and decided to buy the hotas (Thrustmaster hotas 4), I was really excited when it arrived but sadly that wore off when I started playing with it. The flightstick itself is okay, feels nice (although only 1 hat? silly), sadly the throttle is awful. It feels cheap and apart from the detent at 50%, there is ZERO resistance on the throttle at all, it feels pretty bad, also the traditional PS buttons are placed in a very strange way on the throttle too, mainly triangle, you have (well I had to) totally move your hand off the throttle to press it, which kind of spoils the whole point of a hotas. (also, after under 20 mins play, I was getting cramp in my throttle hand from constantly reaching for the buttons)

also the device suffers from a lack of buttons, you still need to do combinations of buttons (ie: square + up, circle + left) to do lots of things, which again you shouldn't need to do that with a hotas!

So mine was sent back to Amazon for a refund and I am back to using the DS4, I'm enjoying it now and can dock really fast with no issues.

However! I can see the immersion that a hotas brings and how good it is to use a stick, should Sony ever support a better hotas (like the X-52) that has enough buttons, then I will certainly buy one!

but for me, the Thrustmaster hotas 4 is just poor and too annoying to use long term.

To stick my 2 euro cent in... I've used a Thrustmaster HOTAS X for more than two years and found it works wonderfully on PC. On the PS4 I wondered about a lack of buttons, but I've found that with the use of toggling, every single button I need is on the HOTAS, so I don't need to take my hands off. I've had no issues with cramping from the button placement, even when playing for 10+ hours, it's a comfortable fit for me. The throttle stays where it's placed, though with the HOTAS 4 I've found it's slightly stiff to move, but as my HOTAS X loosened up after a while that's not something that's an issue for me as I can still get throttle placement exactly where I want.

I've not regretted buying the HOTAS 4 to use on the PS4, and my HOTAS X still works fine on the PC. I've only seen one person unable to get along with the stick, but obviously that means there will be more who can't. The overall response I've seen has been positive, so hopefully yours will be too.

I can't comment on comparisons, as I have used the HOTAS since #dayone and never even picked up the DS4, so happy I am with the HOTAS. If you can get one where you can return it if you don't like it that's ideal as people tend to love it or hate it.

Personally I have the 'strange' placed triangle button set to landing gear as it makes sense to me that it's 'down there' and mapped other 'auxillary' functions to triangle plus HAT switch (heat sinks, ship lights, orbital lines). I have square as my 'target' button, then holding that as a shift key then use the hat switch to select next ship, select wingman, select wingman's target and select subsystem. Doing things in this way means I pretty much never have to look for the controls as I have them in associated groups.

Another major benefit for me is that you can have pitch/roll/yaw all on the stick, lateral thrusters on the hat switch and still have access to R1 for fire and R3 with just your right hand. You can then control the throttle, yaw paddle on the throttle and the three buttons with your left. You simply cannot control that many things at once on the DS4.

sadly the throttle is awful. It feels cheap and apart from the detent at 50%, there is ZERO resistance on the throttle at all, it feels pretty bad
I think it was you or someone else who mentioned this in one of the other TM4 threads. Afterwards, I thought about ways to fix that problem.

How about strips of sticky-back foam placed at the base of the throttle either side, positioned marginally over the gap (a millimetre might be all that's needed) so as to provide enough resistance to stop it flopping about, but still allowing you to move it freely?

It could be a low cost and easy fix.

I think it was you or someone else who mentioned this in one of the other TM4 threads. Afterwards, I thought about ways to fix that problem.

How about strips of sticky-back foam placed at the base of the throttle either side, positioned marginally over the gap (a millimetre might be all that's needed) so as to provide enough resistance to stop it flopping about, but still allowing you to move it freely?

I took it apart, there is a spring, stretching it an inch, fixes the issue. In addition, should you not like the half way notch, take the time to file it when your done stretching the spring. One inch is good more is bad, I tried a half the first time, only to go back and do another half.

There is not zero resistance on the throttle.

I find there is just enough that I can make small adjustments when coming into land by resting my hand on the side of the HOTAS and just pushing the left hand side of the throttle with my thumb (and pulling back with my forefinger). Any more and it would make it difficult to shift the throttle in small increments.

I can't comment on comparisons, as I have used the HOTAS since #dayone and never even picked up the DS4, so happy I am with the HOTAS. If you can get one where you can return it if you don't like it that's ideal as people tend to love it or hate it.

Personally I have the 'strange' placed triangle button set to landing gear as it makes sense to me that it's 'down there' and mapped other 'auxillary' functions to triangle plus HAT switch (heat sinks, ship lights, orbital lines). I have square as my 'target' button, then holding that as a shift key then use the hat switch to select next ship, select wingman, select wingman's target and select subsystem. Doing things in this way means I pretty much never have to look for the controls as I have them in associated groups.

Another major benefit for me is that you can have pitch/roll/yaw all on the stick, lateral thrusters on the hat switch and still have access to R1 for fire and R3 with just your right hand. You can then control the throttle, yaw paddle on the throttle and the three buttons with your left. You simply cannot control that many things at once on the DS4.

I have 2 questions.
1) Playing on the HOTAS, how do you control the review (mode from 1st person)? After all, the DS4 review is related to the gyro.
2) Playing on the HOTAS, can I use DS4 for "Party" by connecting a headset to it?
Thank you.
(Google translator)

I have 2 questions.
1) Playing on the HOTAS, how do you control the review (mode from 1st person)? After all, the DS4 review is related to the gyro.
2) Playing on the HOTAS, can I use DS4 for "Party" by connecting a headset to it?
Thank you.
(Google translator)

2). Yes, but you must turn on the hotas first, then plug in ds4.
1). Recon there's a use for it, but inso much as I never go backwards, what's the point. Full speed ahead, once you've passed it, consider it gone. Kind of like haveing review mirrors on a motor cycle, who actually uses them. Except noobs and the elderly.

I have 2 questions.
Thank you.
(Google translator)

1/ If what you mean is Headlook, then it's R3 to toggle the mode on (need to hold it down to stay in headlook) with movement va the joystick itself. It works well I find.
2/ Yes, you can plug your headset into the DS4 and use that for voice communications while using the HOTAS to control the game.

I have 2 questions.
Thank you.
(Google translator)

1) I use the L2 button and the stick (L2 is on the throttle, the furthest down). This means I can't use headlook and pitch/roll at the same time. If you did want this ability, you could use a shift key of your choosing and then use the HAT switch. I don't use headlook often at all, in combat I use the radar to locate my target, but when scanning a planet I will have the planet on my left side, and use headlook whilst circling the planet and just twisting a little YAW to keep in line with the orbit.
2) Yes, you can use the DS4 at the same time as the HOTAS to use your headphones and mic to party chat. You can also use the touchpad for the map BUT NOT ANYTHING ELSE! None of the DS4 buttons will work whilst the HOTAS is plugged in and being used at the main controller.

I hope all that translates ok for you! =]

I love playing elite with a Hotas, and will eventually replace my old stick on the PC with the new thrustmaster but for the PS4 I'm not even considering it. For me, the whole point of buying the game again was that I expected it to be convenient and relaxing to play on the big screen while lounging on the couch. With the Hotas I've got to sit within cable distance, have a table in front of me, and be glued to that spot. Thanks but no thanks, I'm loving 90% of the default controls and just waiting for muscle memory to kick in on the rest.

Just my 2 cents, for precision the stick is better but don't let that be your only consideration.

There is not zero resistance on the throttle.

I find there is just enough that I can make small adjustments when coming into land by resting my hand on the side of the HOTAS and just pushing the left hand side of the throttle with my thumb (and pulling back with my forefinger). Any more and it would make it difficult to shift the throttle in small increments.
That has been my experience, too; my throttle works fine. I was just suggesting the modification for anyone who might have problems with theirs - perhaps it they all loosen over time?

To stick my 2 euro cent in... I've used a Thrustmaster HOTAS X for more than two years and found it works wonderfully on PC. On the PS4 I wondered about a lack of buttons, but I've found that with the use of toggling, every single button I need is on the HOTAS, so I don't need to take my hands off. I've had no issues with cramping from the button placement, even when playing for 10+ hours, it's a comfortable fit for me. The throttle stays where it's placed, though with the HOTAS 4 I've found it's slightly stiff to move, but as my HOTAS X loosened up after a while that's not something that's an issue for me as I can still get throttle placement exactly where I want.

I've not regretted buying the HOTAS 4 to use on the PS4, and my HOTAS X still works fine on the PC. I've only seen one person unable to get along with the stick, but obviously that means there will be more who can't. The overall response I've seen has been positive, so hopefully yours will be too.

Not everyone knows, but under your stick, there is a screw to tighten or loosen the stick(Hotas X)

I tried the HOTAS, went straight back to the DS4, just couldn't get on with it. I can fly with it just fine and the immersion is great, but as play in the living room its just too much a faff to set it up each night and sit in a position where its usable. I could leave it out, but my 2 year old son would have a field day with it, it would be in bits in no time :)

Also, having played on Xbox, the muscle memory is there for using a game pad, so i just find it easier to use the DS4. I can dock like an absolute maniac with a DS4, but i'd find it much harder to do that with a HOTAS.

If there's VR support in future, I'll be going back to HOTAS

I tried the HOTAS, went straight back to the DS4, just couldn't get on with it. I can fly with it just fine and the immersion is great, but as play in the living room its just too much a faff to set it up each night and sit in a position where its usable. I could leave it out, but my 2 year old son would have a field day with it, it would be in bits in no time :)

Also, having played on Xbox, the muscle memory is there for using a game pad, so i just find it easier to use the DS4. I can dock like an absolute maniac with a DS4, but i'd find it much harder to do that with a HOTAS.

If there's VR support in future, I'll be going back to HOTAS

I finally tried mine last night and Deffo had mixed feelings :/ the joystick control was fantastic and felt much more natural but the default buttons felt awkward and more limited than the rather excellent ds4 setup.

I couldn't figure out what was going on with headlook! At first the L3 button worked like a toggle switch with the Hat switch controlling direction but then it stopped working and I had to keep L3 pressed in to get it to work which was very uncomfortable. I was messing about with settings but I couldn't find a way to turn it back?

Worse of all though was when I reloaded and went back to a ds4 and found it had wiped all the binds totally! :eek: thankfully I'd tested it on my alt account lol ;)

I'm tempted to switch but it almost felt abit buggy atm so I'll stick with the dualshock for now ;)

Top Bottom