PS4 Pro quality mode on PS5 is even more broken.

Apart from the game benefitting from the extra horsepower of the PS5 in backwards compatibility, my avatar now has a strange egg head look thanks to my hair missing the center detail, so all I see is forehead skin way up.

With Odyssey being the focal point, will we ever see a patch for PS4 again. Will they ever consider updating to offer better visual fidelity and performance overall on PS5? Highly unlikely, unless the community stream is a big hit full of loud voices. Lol.

NOPE
The myth that developers have to release next gen versions is just that, a myth...
And as stated in that long topic BC mode can still Break PS4 titles with new bugs... Game engines that titles are built on PS4 Dev kits only are not ensured to be NEW bug free they can be worse in the AMD emulation mode that AMD built in to the PS5 chip set.

As many people warned brand new hardware can bring brand new bugs it happens on PC all the time and its happened on All next gen consoles.

Apart from the game benefitting from the extra horsepower of the PS5 in backwards compatibility, my avatar now has a strange egg head look thanks to my hair missing the center detail, so all I see is forehead skin way up.

With Odyssey being the focal point, will we ever see a patch for PS4 again. Will they ever consider updating to offer better visual fidelity and performance overall on PS5? Highly unlikely, unless the community stream is a big hit full of loud voices. Lol.
Why do Frontier have to do anything for PlayStation users?

Commiserations. It's a disappointing experience at best on the PS5.

If the past 12 months have proven anything, it's that Frontier do not wish to set aside any development effort for the console version of the game. Dev time is finite and is currently 100% focussed on digging Odyssey out of it's hole. PC is the lead development platform, and sales from the console platforms are viewed as a bonus nice-to-have.

One thing that does egg me is that Odyssey will be fixed after update 9, Anything there after is a bonus feature.
It's long over due to work on the console version of Odyssey.

Why do Frontier have to do anything for PlayStation users?
Did I say they had to? I asked if we might ever see a patch on PS4 at least, seeing as the Quality and Performance modes on Pro have been broken for a long time. Quality mode is blurry and fuzzy in places, yet performance mode looks sharper. Compare menu screen to test.

Also, why shouldn't Frontier fix a game they continue to sell on the platform?

Did I say they had to? I asked if we might ever see a patch on PS4 at least, seeing as the Quality and Performance modes on Pro have been broken for a long time. Quality mode is blurry and fuzzy in places, yet performance mode looks sharper. Compare menu screen to test.

Also, why shouldn't Frontier fix a game they continue to sell on the platform?
They sell it for PS4 If its broken on PS5 even more thats not there issue... That broken BC mode..
It not listed as a PS5 title...

Dude the PS5 is playing the BROKEN PS4 game in BC... What are you failing to understand here?
"even more broken" is your words If it was working the same as PS4 Pro then it would be Exactly the same as PS4 PRO..
If its worse as you claim then Changing the PS4 PRO code that is "even more broken" on PS5 Won't fix it as you all ready said that its worse ON PS5 BC mode..
If its even more broken on Native PS4 code running on a PS5 in BC mode changes to the code that make the PS5 malfunction will be amplified as the code fails to run on PS5 correstly...
You said its worse so ther for the PS5 BC mode can not be running the PS4 code base correctly..

As Fdev all ready stated zero work is deing done for next gen... that will included BC mode support

Last edited:
"even more broken" is your words If it was working the same as PS4 Pro then it would be Exactly the same as PS4 PRO..
If its worse as you claim then Changing the PS4 PRO code that is "even more broken" on PS5 Won't fix it as you all ready said that its worse ON PS5 BC mode..
If its even more broken on Native PS4 code running on a PS5 in BC mode changes to the code that make the PS5 malfunction will be amplified as the code fails to run on PS5 correstly...
You said its worse so ther for the PS5 BC mode can not be running the PS4 code base correctly..

As Fdev all ready stated zero work is deing done for next gen... that will included BC mode support
Yes, because of my avatar suffering a visual glitch I'm unaware of others reporting on the PS4 Pro edition of the game. I hadn't used a Pro so perhaps my wording is flawed there. But fundamentally, Fdev have ignored fixing known long standing issues with the PS4 game, especially with Pro where performance and quality modes no longer work as intended.

If you think it's acceptable Frontier outright ignoring issues on the console front (Xbox included) then that's a bit uncool in my opinion. But the fact that Frontier have referenced backwards compatible mode when ignoring requests for specific patches or upgrades, means they should at least ensure it works well, wouldn't you agree?

I hope in the end however that they surprise me and actually put in the work as I simply do not believe the old systems would pull off Odyssey judging by the difficulties they're having on the PC front.

Yes, because of my avatar suffering a visual glitch I'm unaware of others reporting on the PS4 Pro edition of the game. I hadn't used a Pro so perhaps my wording is flawed there. But fundamentally, Fdev have ignored fixing known long standing issues with the PS4 game, especially with Pro where performance and quality modes no longer work as intended.

If you think it's acceptable Frontier outright ignoring issues on the console front (Xbox included) then that's a bit uncool in my opinion. But the fact that Frontier have referenced backwards compatible mode when ignoring requests for specific patches or upgrades, means they should at least ensure it works well, wouldn't you agree?

I hope in the end however that they surprise me and actually put in the work as I simply do not believe the old systems would pull off Odyssey judging by the difficulties they're having on the PC front.
better they ignore it then do what they did to MAC users and say were done with console, "Good buy, 2021 was the last year for updates for consoles server will stay up but no more changes"... It can get worse. they could drop updates for horizons, there not (yet) and one arrives thursday..

Consoles can have many functions disabled to run EDO there are lots of setting buttons that have Off in cobra engine

Last edited:
One thing that does egg me is that Odyssey will be fixed after update 9
Really? You have proof? Based on previous i highly doubt that ED will ever be truly fixed. There are bugs in the game going back to launch still there for all to see

One thing that does egg me is that Odyssey will be fixed after update 9, Anything there after is a bonus feature.
It's long over due to work on the console version of Odyssey.

Heh, i wish that was true.
But the fact is every patch since the famous "make it or break it" Update 5 - spoiler alert, it was pretty much break it - hoped to fix performance issues or generally fix Odyssey.
It didnt happened yet, but still U8 managed to resolve some of the performance issues

Lets see how much better U9 will fare.
And U10 is already planed - i would assume it will happen in the last half of January '22

Then we will see - hopefully EDO will have the major issues fixed so they can switch focus to Consoles.

Really? You have proof? Based on previous i highly doubt that ED will ever be truly fixed. There are bugs in the game going back to launch still there for all to see
I think that's his point. It won't be "fixed" yet Frontier seem to think they have it locked in soon with their planned sequence of fixes focus.

better they ignore it then do what they did to MAC users and say were done with console, "Good buy, 2021 was the last year for updates for consoles server will stay up but no more changes"... It can get worse. they could drop updates for horizons, there not (yet) and one arrives thursday..

Consoles can have many functions disabled to run EDO there are lots of setting buttons that have Off in cobra engine
I'm aware they could downgrade it, but nobody will pay for Odyssey on old consoles if it simply looks and plays terribly. And judging by their lack of optimising the PC game sufficiently, I highly doubt they will split hairs over the console edition unless they migrate to the more capable next gen systems. But I guess we can only wait and see. If anything, we kind of expect them to pull the plug on the update at least. Whether they do so with Horizons also, time will tell.

Top Bottom