PSA: Not sure if anyone spotted this but a dev has confirmed there will be paid content as well as the free stuff...

Anybody with Horizons can engineer though.

Nice hat btw :p

I think that was his point. You CAN'T use Engineers if you don't have Horizons, and you CERTAINLY can win more easily with engineering, so it is technically, pay-to-win (more easily), and absolutely pay-to-win in terms of PvP.

I think that was his point. You CAN'T use Engineers if you don't have Horizons, and you CERTAINLY can win more easily with engineering, so it is technically, pay-to-win (more easily), and absolutely pay-to-win in terms of PvP.

This is a bit like playing World of Warcraft and complaining that those who buy the various expansions have paid to win. [blah]

Ha, thanks, nothing more hardcore gangsta than a cookie-monster hat. :p

Maybe I am missing the obvious, but why are we idiots? We already knew that they had different teams on different stuff, its pretty much a given that a corporation will charge at some point for some stuff. The only news is that this stuff may come sooner than expected...

That's absolutely not what I meant. It looks like this community needs clarification for everything, and as soon as Zac or Dale clarifies something we need clarification for the clarification. I think that this is very idiotic. Zac also didn't confirm if he is the reincarnation of Hitler yet. Everything seems to be very complicated.
The community reached a new low, I just can't read these threads and comments anymore without the feeling that it would be best to kill myself. Or someone else. Just joking of course ;)

Or you could try common sense instead of paranoia: they tell you what they can deliver for sure, and stay silent on what they dont yet know themselves. But 'cloak and dagger' 'fishy' and 'duplicity' is cool too, if it makes you happy.

Well why didn't they mention this at the expo? Sorry but as much as I'd like to believe everything Braben says the reality is it rarely matches reality.

TD;LR - Not FD bashing, just trying to have hope.

In this forum, having these hopes is considered evil ranting and bashing. Wait for the usual stuff.

Apart from that: ED has failed in keeping new players in game. I have quite some (not scientifically valid) statistics from my 2.5 years as a newbie helper (before I was declared a lunatic by the local player group and driven out of that function) around Eravate. Dropout rate on new cmdrs has been catastrophic in the first 2 years and only slightly improved with modifications to income and general stuff.

Most new players are not long enough in game for buying skins and the like.

I was sure - and I have told people of my suspicions - that FD would reduce manpower and/or find additional ways of income as in paid stuff to compensate for that - I personally know only ONE cmdr who is a full time newbie tutor, helping them to overcome the critical 3 weeks of premature ragequitting - although there are at least a dozen trying to do that part time... somehow. Most leave Eravate after their first "police check".

Folks, in the end FD is a company and FD has to pay wages and other cost. The old approach has failed, the new one is far from Ctar Sitizen and the like. Be gentle, they need to do something, whatever it is, to keep ED alive for the next years.

Frontier: Cash in. As long as you stop repeating '93 over and over again I am willing to pay some real money for ED.

The cynic in me feels it is a bit strange that FD didn't mention this from the get go. Instead opting to bask in their selectively altruistic gesture just long enough for the gaming press to write out their articles about Beyond being completely free to Horizons owners.

The optimist in me however feels that FD didn't mention it before only because it is just some new kind of cosmetic thing that we haven't seen before. Akin to ship kits. Something that will be nice to have for free for the LEP owners but otherwise not a form of gated content for the rest of us.

Only time will tell.

Yes, I'm confused why there wasn't another parallel arrow/line on the road map diagram, simply with "Payable DLC content/date TBC".

As regards it being "cosmetic", surely that doesn't hold up in the sense it's payable so surely should be significant enough to merit that. And Zac himself says, "will be getting their hands on premium content as part of their lifetime expansion pass before the end of 2018"...

This to me seems to imply a sizable development is underway for other significant conent other than "Beyond"...

That's absolutely not what I meant. It looks like this community needs clarification for everything, and as soon as Zac or Dale clarifies something we need clarification for the clarification. I think that this is very idiotic. Zac also didn't confirm if he is the reincarnation of Hitler yet. Everything seems to be very complicated.
The community reached a new low, I just can't read these threads and comments anymore without the feeling that it would be best to kill myself. Or someone else. Just joking of course ;)

Maybe we wouldn't be like this if we got updates more than once every 6 months and if the devs actually gave us a roadmap, rather than a very vague plan with only 2 dates and very few details. 'Better trade tools' and the like could mean damn near anything. It might even just be a bugfix for the coloured lines on the galaxy map that are currently ingame but don't really work.

If they want trust, then not constantly releasing the minimum viable product and then abandoning it when nobody uses it would be a good start.

Seriously, trust is earned, and as much as I desperately cling to hope, FD's behaviour rarely inspires trust.

In this forum, having these hopes is considered evil ranting and bashing. Wait for the usual stuff.

Apart from that: ED has failed in keeping new players in game. I have quite some (not scientifically valid) statistics from my 2.5 years as a newbie helper (before I was declared a lunatic by the local player group and driven out of that function) around Eravate. Dropout rate on new cmdrs has been catastrophic in the first 2 years and only slightly improved with modifications to income and general stuff.

Most new players are not long enough in game for buying skins and the like.

I was sure - and I have told people of my suspicions - that FD would reduce manpower and/or find additional ways of income as in paid stuff to compensate for that - I personally know only ONE cmdr who is a full time newbie tutor, helping them to overcome the critical 3 weeks of premature ragequitting - although there are at least a dozen trying to do that part time... somehow. Most leave Eravate after their first "police check".

Folks, in the end FD is a company and FD has to pay wages and other cost. The old approach has failed, the new one is far from Ctar Sitizen and the like. Be gentle, they need to do something, whatever it is, to keep ED alive for the next years.

Frontier: Cash in. As long as you stop repeating '93 over and over again I am willing to pay some real money for ED.

They could have just permit locked starter areas for those below a certain rank. They've only themselves to blame for that.

Yes, I'm confused why there wasn't another parallel arrow/line on the road map diagram, simply with "Payable DLC content/date TBC".

As regards it being "cosmetic", surely that doesn't hold up in the sense it's payable so surely should be significant enough to merit that. And Zac himself says, "will be getting their hands on premium content as part of their lifetime expansion pass before the end of 2018"...

This to me seems to imply a sizable development is underway for other significant conent other than "Beyond"...

I think they thought people would be more happy that they get stuff for free rather than having to pay for stuff. That's the experience they made with the Horizons announcement. They didn't expect the community to be that toxic.

This is a bit like playing World of Warcraft and complaining that those who buy the various expansions have paid to win. [blah]

No it's not, because content in WoW is gated by level each expansion. ;) Many pvp twinks are still playing vanilla at level 60 and winning in that bracket.

That's a bit of an overreaction in this case in my opinion. It's perfectly understandable that people are confused by Frontier's vagueness here and why they chose to hold this information back and not include it during their anouncement about Beyond. It's just another consequence of Frontier's lack of communication skills.

As far as I read into that that, it will be cosmetic items only. Any ship enhancements or any paid items that give advantage over other players should not be included. To do so. would make the game a pay to win and unfair to those who do not buy.

So are cosmetic items considered premium content now?

No it's not, because content in WoW is gated by level each expansion. ;) Many pvp twinks are still playing vanilla at level 60 and winning in that bracket.

In LOTRO for example it's not.

It is not really pay to win and it is not bad either. There will be free content for core and additional one for existing Horizons owners. And new stuff for those willing to buy and LEP owners.

There's no contraversy.

That's a bit of an overreaction in this case in my opinion. It's perfectly understandable that people are confused by Frontier's vagueness here and why they chose to hold this information back and not include it during their anouncement about Beyond. It's just another consequence of Frontier's lack of communication skills.

What's confusing here I don't understand?

Devs didn't want to reveal that info, they wanted to concentrate on free stuff you will get.

What's so hard to understand about that?

If you kept track of the various threads the last days it isn't an over reaction at all. This community is simply nuts, there is no arguing about it.

Top Bottom