PSA: Surviving a gank 101

So my new goal in life is to kill every CMDR in Elite Dangerous at least once. It's gonna be quite the challenge, I'm sure. :)

Just wanted to say some things though for all my potential future victims out there. Don't make it easy on CMDRs like me if you fly in Open. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you see you are losing an interdiction, don't keep fighting it until you lose. Submit instead, which gives you a better FSD recharge time and better chance to escape. Losing an interdiction is like a CAGE MATCH, and it's what I live for, cuz "I got you all to myself for THREE minutes" or whatever the cool down is.

Submit, boost back past the interdicting CMDR, wake out by selecting a nearby star system.

2. Sometimes you lose an interdiction before you even realize you're losing. Don't give up, keep fighting! You might just survive, or at least make things hard for your attacker. Don't just roll over and die, you wouldn't in real life (I hope).

3. If you die, don't get mad, get even. Hey, it's how I got to where I am today. But seriously, most gankers are looking for an experience just like you are. You can learn a lot just by starting a conversation with the CMDR who just killed you. Ask what you could do better. Ask what build they were using. Some of my best ED chats have been with people who just killed me, or whom I just killed.

4. A lot of my victims, whether gankees or serious PvP kills, friend me after, and a lot of gankers will friend victims if impressed by them. It's a great way to open new avenues of the game and also not get ganked as much by that CMDR in the future. In my case, I'm only out to kill everyone once, not extract salt or anything like that. Plus, the LOCATION of your friends can be seen. If you want revenge or to avoid them, keep them on your friends list! I accept every friend request I receive.

5. Don't fly without the rebuy. Seriously, learn from 10,000 CMDRs' mistakes before you. You worked hard for that ship, don't risk losing it forever.

6. Do your homework if you're flying in Open. Know how to build a ship to be able to survive longer than your FSD cooldown. Know how to build a PvP ship if you are hunting other CMDRs.

7. Know in advance whether you're going to run or fight if interdicted. Know what your ship can handle and plan accordingly. Spur of the moment bad decisions lead to rebuys.

8. Don't fly in Open if you can't handle the risks. There is literally no reason to fly in Open if you're the kind of person who ragequits over being ganked. Because it's an eventuality if you play enough and visit certain areas.

o7 CMDRs! I look forward to matching wits with you all!

CMDR Bloodsign

Solo and PG is boring, did it for years, but once I started playing in open it just brought the game alive. I still do the same things as before, but encountering other CMDRs, if friendly or hostile, makes it so much more exciting. Build the ships to survive and lot's of fun to be had in open.
I'm looking forward to met OP and "impress" with my mediocre flying skills. :)

One day, I'll take you up on that offer. I promise to be a good loser, too. :) I'd probably bring my Fer-de-Lance, Thraex, heavily engineered for PVE, but it should be good enough to at least get away (a similar build, though inferior, saw me safely through a minor skirmish at a CG, where some CMDRs I was working with and I ran head-on into some CMDRs on the enemy team . . . We had to run, but we got away without losing hull, nor depleting our shields completely).

Currently, however, I am working on my credit balance. Iron Duke, my trading Cutter, cost a lot of money... ;)

Well, you're the one complaining and calling names, so yeah, I'm thinking you're the one who's got the problem:)
Yep, you are right, I am a terrible person and I know I would be terrible at PvP. See I have a set of rules, just little personal ones I enforce only on myself in the game. Ones like I will not attack anyone who is clean. I won't fire first, no matter what the circumstances are. Even if a ship (NPC of course) is WANTED, if the ship is a non-combat vessel like a T-7 or whatever AND/OR if the ranking of the NPC is low, I won't attack it, I will just boost away. In essence, I won't attack a ship just for giggles, just to prove to 'someone' that I am better than them.
Yes it is my moral high ground and I adhere to it. I also recognise that the way I play isn't for everyone and I don't expect anyone to play the game like I do. Hence why I don't create posts telling everyone I will kill them, or how if you don't play in Open you are somehow deficient in the bravery stakes.

I see it the other way around, I don't have to prove anything about myself in a game :D But then I am not a bully in real life and not one in the game either ...
I think it should be considered that the OP has posted some very good advice for anyone who does want to go up against other players in open and finds themselves needing to escape an interdiction.

That said, if being shot at by other players is not your thing then it's not your thing. Solo and Mobius style PGs are there for that reason. I've no negative comments towards anyone who wants to play that way.

Realistically though, we have had a year dedicated to helping out new players, so there's no doubt some out there that would like the the knowledge on how to survive in open. Others may look at that and decide they don't want to play that way and they'd rather not bother if that's what open means.

So long as everyone is having fun doing their thing, it's all good.

Yep, you are right, I am a terrible person and I know I would be terrible at PvP. See I have a set of rules, just little personal ones I enforce only on myself in the game. Ones like I will not attack anyone who is clean. I won't fire first, no matter what the circumstances are. Even if a ship (NPC of course) is WANTED, if the ship is a non-combat vessel like a T-7 or whatever AND/OR if the ranking of the NPC is low, I won't attack it, I will just boost away. In essence, I won't attack a ship just for giggles, just to prove to 'someone' that I am better than them.
Yes it is my moral high ground and I adhere to it. I also recognise that the way I play isn't for everyone and I don't expect anyone to play the game like I do. Hence why I don't create posts telling everyone I will kill them, or how if you don't play in Open you are somehow deficient in the bravery stakes.
Nothing wrong with adhering to a standard, if anything I applaud your consistency. I used to be like this, always playing a white hat character and restarting even single player games like Skyrim if I accidentally killed or attacked an innocent. And that's how I was in ED at first.

But I got into this game because one of my first dreams was to become a fighter pilot IRL. I had the grades, the skills, but not the eyesight. It was hard to hear that my color blindness was always going to keep me from that goal.

NPCs are only so useful when it come to real combat in ED. So I'm exploring PvP, whether it's consensual or not, symmetrical or not, no longer concerns me. I won't go out of my way to kill someone twice though, that's MY standard.

Happy trails, CMDR! May your horizons be continually expanding!

o7

My biggest problem in Open after an interdiction and lost fight is having any Comms at all with my foe. I may be missing something really obvious, especially as Comms in VR is a pain the backside, but when you go straight to the rebuy screen unless they’re hanging around in system chat it seems impossible to contact them.

Do you go through the Cmdrs Contact list and direct message them? I’ve wanted to simply share ‘GG’ or quiz them on their tactics but meaningful communication in this game is a bit of a disappointment.

As to the inevitable Open vs Solo debate argument :rolleyes::sleep:

Edit: ignore my squadron in the sig, I’m not a proper PvP’er and would be an embarrassment to them in combat. Just someone trying out as much as possible.

My biggest problem in Open after an interdiction and lost fight is having any Comms at all with my foe. I may be missing something really obvious, especially as Comms in VR is a pain the backside, but when you go straight to the rebuy screen unless they’re hanging around in system chat it seems impossible to contact them.

Do you go through the Cmdrs Contact list and direct message them? I’ve wanted to simply share ‘GG’ or quiz them on their tactics but meaningful communication in this game is a bit of a disappointment.

As to the inevitable Open vs Solo debate argument :rolleyes::sleep:

Edit: ignore my squadron in the sig, I’m not a proper PvP’er and would be an embarrassment to them in combat. Just someone trying out as much as possible.
You can Direct Message them if you friend them.

Yes, the current comms system is completely inadequate.

If you don't want me to roll over and die because it will ruin your fun, you can bet that's exactly what I'll do. As soon as I feel I'm in a ganking situation, I'll just walk away and come back a while later to either my ship or a rebuy screen. I have credits to burn and don't care either way. I'll just have one more name to add to my blocked list.

If you don't want me to roll over and die because it will ruin your fun, you can bet that's exactly what I'll do. As soon as I feel I'm in a ganking situation, I'll just walk away and come back a while later to either my ship or a rebuy screen. I have credits to burn and don't care either way. I'll just have one more name to add to my blocked list.
If that's how you enjoy playing, go for it. Seems a bit masochistic to me, but to each his own.

Top Bottom