Ships Python Mk II can't change core modules?

I bought the prebuild, mainly for the value of the included ship kit and paint job, fully expecting to be able to slot my existing fully engineered modules onto it.

As soon as I started outfitting, I noticed that you can't store the prebuilt modules. Inconvenient, but fine, I guess it accounts for the pay to win argument somehow. So I began selling off the A Rated gear it came with to make room for my engineered equipment.

But when I got to the Core Modules, I found that I couldn't store them, sell them, or replace them. Does that mean I'm stuck with these core modules, and now have to engineer a fresh slate of equipment? If so, I am much displeased. I am unhappy with the notion that I have paid actual IRL cash for the privilege of engineering yet another set of modules.

Please tell me I'm missing something here.

As a workaround, you can replace them at a Starport that sells their equivalents, Shinrarta Dezhra for example (that works, I A-rated everything there for the base ship). It is a known bug, FD are working on a fix.

O7,
🙃

As a workaround, you can replace them at a Starport that sells their equivalents, Shinrarta Dezhra for example (that works, I A-rated everything there for the base ship). It is a known bug, FD are working on a fix.

O7,
🙃
Thank you! That's a great relief.

Do you want to hear a very, very sad story about a naïve cmdr who thought that he was capable of turning toad into the princess. I bought Stellar version of PMKII for the only reason of having 5A FSD with super cruise boost and hoping to replace the modules which came with Stellar with my own ones fully engineered. The first wake up call was that cmdr can't store pre-built modules except selling them for "0". So I accepted it as long as I have my 5A FSD, the rest have no value for me anyway. The second wake up call was much more severe, I tried to replace Stellar's 4D unengineered HRP for my own GR5 Heavy Duty one, I sold stock HRP and click to mount my own. It blinked for a second in the slot and then disappeared. I though it is a glitch and just need to repeat the procedure. To my dismay it was not in the storage anymore, it evaporated completely. I reported it to FD and they hinted that I never had it because their logs are not showing that it was sold. I did not sell it, I was installing it into the slot where the stock was before. To me the guarding script to keep their pre-built ships unmodified treats new modules as being sold. Don't buy pre-built ships, they are ugly toads.

Last edited:
Never had such problems, but it might be a good idea to sell all the prebuilt stuff before replacing it with something from storage. I replaced them all, just because I didn't want to mess around with prebuilt limitations and lost nothing so far. As for Frontier support, they're sterling (and I have a track record reaching back 8 years with them), really going to ends to help you out, and sometimes, beyond all your expectations. If you have any proof that G5 GRP was in your posession once, they might just reapply it. Or just because you are a nice guy (aren't you?). And it's not a case where Galaxy's fate depends on a G5 HRP, you might have it anyway.

O7,
🙃

You would think that even the simplest checks ahead of launching this update would have identified these problems. Poor show. Where’s the professional pride?

You would think that even the simplest checks ahead of launching this update would have identified these problems. Poor show. Where’s the professional pride?

No. Welcome to the real world! You can never indentify and address all problems beforehand. Trust me, I got 25+ years experience in software projects of all sizes. It's always the same. Professionalism means: never expect sunny conditions, but dealing with problems instead. Frontier Support is one of the most excellent I've ever met. No doubt about that! :cool:

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
No. Welcome to the real world! You can never indentify and address all problems beforehand. Trust me, I got 25+ years experience in software projects of all sizes. It's always the same. Professionalism means: never expect sunny conditions, but dealing with problems instead. Frontier Support is one of the most excellent I've ever met. No doubt about that! :cool:

O7,
🙃
Yeah. I didn’t say that all problems should be found, did I? Something as obvious and simple as this has no excuse. If that’s the standard you have after 25 years, I find it sad.

I rather find it sad that you find something 'obvious' and 'simple' without knowing anything. If that's your standard, you won't survive even your probation period in the software industry.

That settles it.

🙃

I rather find it sad that you find something 'obvious' and 'simple' without knowing anything. If that's your standard, you won't survive even your probation period in the software industry.

That settles it.

🙃
“Without knowing anything” I seem to have been able to retire after working my way up to a very senior position, after more than 3 decades of service. You have me all figured out.

I bought the prebuild, mainly for the value of the included ship kit and paint job, fully expecting to be able to slot my existing fully engineered modules onto it.

As soon as I started outfitting, I noticed that you can't store the prebuilt modules. Inconvenient, but fine, I guess it accounts for the pay to win argument somehow. So I began selling off the A Rated gear it came with to make room for my engineered equipment.

But when I got to the Core Modules, I found that I couldn't store them, sell them, or replace them. Does that mean I'm stuck with these core modules, and now have to engineer a fresh slate of equipment? If so, I am much displeased. I am unhappy with the notion that I have paid actual IRL cash for the privilege of engineering yet another set of modules.

Please tell me I'm missing something here.

It seems to be a bit wonky right now. I don't think it's intentional, just a bug. I got around it by buying cheap off-the-shelf modules, which cleared the pre-built ones, then swapped my stored, engineered ones in and sold the temps.

can you remove modules from a pre built ship and place them in a different ship? Also, can you sell the modules from a pre built ship?

can you remove modules from a pre built ship and place them in a different ship?
No

Also, can you sell the modules from a pre built ship?
Yes, for 0 credits

Poor show. Where’s the professional pride?
Never judge based on the mistakes made. Judge based on their reaction to those mistakes.
In this case, they fixed it yesterday. That's a great reaction IMO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom