Question about deep-space gravity wells

I've been out in the black now for about 14 months and I've noticed something, off and on, that I can find no explanation for nor an answer to. I'm hoping some of you might have answers/theorys to what I've experienced.

Let's say that I have set a course to a (for example) Class F star (to scan the planets within its orbital system) from a Class A star (same system (having scanned all the planets in its orbital system)) and am registered in 'deep-space'...at least 20k ls from either the sun I've left and the sun I'm traveling to. Suddenly, I start to bleed off speed (as if I'm on approach to a body, or in the gravity well of some other object), but there is nothing around me.

I have stopped in some of these instances, flying around and scanning the area visually. I've honked. I've dropped in and out of supercruise in the area. Absolutely nothing. My ship acted as if it was closing in on, or passing near, an object but, for the life of me, I can't figure out if there's something there that I'm missing.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Last edited:
Asteroid fields / belts

Check your system map.

Never heard of a comet having enough mass to do this - I mean, seriously a comet with the mass of a planet?

Screenshot_0041.jpg

I start to bleed off speed (as if I'm on approach to a body, or in the gravity well of some other object), but there is nothing around me.

ninja'd​

Probably an asteroid belt. If you have deactivated the navigation in the way I did, you can't see these things and if you get close enough you will suddenly be braked as if by magic. Turn the astroid belt back on and you will see it. :)

Supposedly the game has comets. These are implemented but not with a graphic representation. You might be passing one of those.

:D S

Almost certainly an asteroid belt, or actually one of the clusters, just go nav panel and check to see how far away the clusters are from you, and target the closest one, it should be nearby or on your course behind you.

Here's me parked next to an asteroid in a asteroid cluster near a gas giant, it's surprising how far out some of these clusters get;

SvWmIJq.jpg

Almost certainly an asteroid belt, or actually one of the clusters, just go nav panel and check to see how far away the clusters are from you, and target the closest one, it should be nearby or on your course behind you.

Here's me parked next to an asteroid in a asteroid cluster near a gas giant, it's surprising how far out some of these clusters get;

SvWmIJq.jpg
I would have thought the same thing, except I'm too far out between stars to encounter an asteroid belt...and I have checked the map to be sure. I'm hoping it's just a game glitch but it drives me insane that I mght be missing something new to explore...lol

I would have thought the same thing, except I'm too far out between stars to encounter an asteroid belt...and I have checked the map to be sure. I'm hoping it's just a game glitch but it drives me insane that I mght be missing something new to explore...lol

If you have checked sure, but just keep in mind sometimes you will get an asteroid belt orbiting the barycentre of two stars, so being a long way between two stars isn't necessarily a guarantee you won't hit an asteroid cluster or belt. As a matter if interest, what system was it?

If you have checked sure, but just keep in mind sometimes you will get an asteroid belt orbiting the barycentre of two stars, so being a long way between two stars isn't necessarily a guarantee you won't hit an asteroid cluster or belt. As a matter if interest, what system was it?
Didn't mark the last system that it happened in unfortunately. I was in the Formadine Rift the last time. I've been exploring in Perseus Arm for some time now and haven't run across this phenomena here yet. As I said, this doesn't happen often, but it does happen.

I found one system where this happened to me. I've always wondered about it too. This was early in my ED career, so I wasn't sure what was normal or not at the time. I investigated it as well, and there was nothing nearby. Very similar scenario to your description. There was nothing around to cause the slowdown. No asteroids, or planets or even a black hole. The system was near the bubble, likely coreward a bit. (Not too far from the bubble, cuz I was flying around an unengineered Eagle at the time.)

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, have encountered this several times. In the middle of nothing, out of nowhere, the skybox bends like something heavy is nearby. Which is not. As far as I remember it happened to me in systems containing neutron stars. Scares the heck out of me every freaking time... :cautious:

I'm pretty sure it's a bug, have encountered this several times. In the middle of nothing, out of nowhere, the skybox bends like something heavy is nearby. Which is not. As far as I remember it happened to me in systems containing neutron stars. Scares the heck out of me every freaking time... :cautious:
Similar experience, although I feel the OP - drove me nuts, now I just got used to it :)

Let's hope those are placeholders from comments - stay positive ;)

Top Bottom