Question About Galactic Circumnavigation

I often see posts from cmdrs saying they are circumnavigating the galaxy.

I'm sure this means different things to different cmdrs, but what does it usually mean? The main 'circle' shape of the galaxy, or the furthest edges all the way around including the arms.

Certainly the furthest edges would vastly increase the trip. I am currently returning from the furthest edges of the Perseus Arm in Tenebrae Region and it occurred to me that an attempt to circumnavigate the outer edges including the galactic arms would more than double the trip of simply looping around the galaxy visiting each outer region. Doing this in a carrier would be brutal. I went through a couple thousand tons of tritium star hoping the furthest edges at the tip of the Perseus Arm, not including the journey to get there.

Yeah, there isn't really any standard nor unwritten rule about the specifics of a galactic circumnavigation. Sometimes, people leave out or shorten the arms at Xibalba & Kepler's Crest and/or Tenebrae & Lyra's Song, for example. Personally, I've yet to hear anyone say "well you didn't do a true circumnavigation" to anyone though, if they didn't follow the outer edges all the way through.
But hey, maybe one day I'll do a galactic circlenavigation :p

Last edited:
as that is a self imposed target, you can set your own rules. but you can take inspirations from some of the previous attempts. for exampel the expedition doing it https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/the-dead-ends-circumnavigation-expedition.354475/ where also @iain666 posted his route, or Hanekura Shizukas route to speed run it: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/everyday-is-like-someday-a-galactic-circumnavigation.353736/
i personally would throw in "highest" and "lowest" system, so visiting all 6 cardinal points, but this won't add much to the total lightyears.

Will tell Astro when I 'see' him
LOL; thanks for that, thought you were Astro.

Anyhoo, still mightily impressed with that video. Must have taken some serious planning by Astro on top of the obviously enormous number of jumps - may be wrong but I'd guess a lot of the journey would have been eco mode to get such straight lines.

If you want to do some actual exploring, rather than simply visiting a whole bunch of systems other people have already been to, then consider making your "circumnavigation" somewhere slightly away from the extreme crispy fringe of the galaxy.

Or in other words, check out the EDAstro saturation map, and stay away from red space; try to stick to blue space. That ring of "red space" all the way round the galaxy is where all the "galactic circumnavigators" have historically wanted to go, and it's thoroughly explored by now.

Yeah, I would consider if you circumnavigated the galaxy more than halfway to the rim that would probably count, not fair circumnavigating it 100ly from Sag A*, that's just a core circumnavigation. My own two trips around in some areas I got right to the edge, some I came in a fair way, it's all good. Of course there are the completionists, I mean have you really circumnavigated the galaxy unless you visited every sector etc? But that can get silly.

If someone tells you they're doing a perimeter expedition then they probably mean running around the entire raggedy edge. Circumnavigation, as everyone above has said, is a much looser term. But as long as you hit all four quadrants and clock up more than 100kly or so, I think most everyone will agree that you done it.

Of course there are the completionists, I mean have you really circumnavigated the galaxy unless you visited every sector etc? But that can get silly.
I'd call a "visit every sector" expedition a "grand tour" rather than a "circumnavigation". The Grand Tour, of necessity, involves a lot more weaving and backtracking than a circumnavigation ought to generate.

I've done 6 circumnavs so far.....definitely have to come inboard from the edge a bit these days...most everything on the rim is fished out...
9.6.22.jpg

How did you get it to show the whole Galaxy?
Mine just shows part of it, even in that 2D tab, and the lines are much thicker. :unsure:

Open it in it's own window and maximise the window! There's also a save button there that will just save the image of the etire galaxy regardless of whether or not you can see it all in the tab.

That gives you this image, this is uncropped, the first was cropped;

Ezb2Ozv.jpg

Top Bottom