Newcomer / Intro Question about Mining

Will the prospector limpet tell me painite is in the asteroid or will it tell me the raw materials needed to refine painite are present? Are there going to be chunks of painite floating around?

Raws don't get refined into painite.
Painite ore does.
The prospector will show ores, not mats.

Will the prospector limpet tell me painite is in the asteroid or will it tell me the raw materials needed to refine painite are present? Are there going to be chunks of painite floating around?

^^^^^^ Wot Bob said ^^^^^

Painite is a naturally occurring (but rare) mineral - it is not a metal - and the "refining" is your refinery separating it from any other stuff in that collected fragment and sorting it into 1 tonne bins (which you can flog for a very pretty penny if you take care).

Here is the T9 I use mining in the Hyades Sector DB-X d1-112 Painite2 (overlapping hotspots) I can fill 512 ton with Painite in roughly 2.5 hours.
Painite is currently selling for 788,313 credits a ton in LHS 220 which is ~74Ly away so 500 ton is potentially worth 394M credits.

This only works inside the overlapping hotspot areas as ~60% of asteroids will contain Painite, find Painite2 hotspots with this tool.
If I were willing to travel 120Ly I could sell for 798,676 credits a ton selling in LP 131-66.

If I had to mine 500 ton I would go the effort to collect the 390M credits, especially when you will eventually need 10 tons of anyway. I'm not a novice at mining so expect to mine at a slower rate in the beginning. However, the time spent learning/doing things inefficiently in the beginning will largely be the same whether collecting trash or Painite.

As far as my ship goes there are things you can change and thing you should not, if you can engineer the Power Distributor to G4 or G5 that would be better (but I can't yet) everything else mining related is balanced properly and really shouldn't be changed. Not having enough collector limpets is the mistake most novice miners make, there should be 3.5-4 collector limpets per constantly powered medium mining laser.
Thanks, Miner's Tool is just what I needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom