General / Off-Topic Question for guitar players.

• Thread starter Deleted member 110222
  • Start date
This is even better:

pickboy-pro-pick-ceramic-guitar-picks-10-pack-pbcerp07-medium-70mm-6.gif

I'm left handed but was taught to play right-handed, so the pick is on my weak hand and I need all the grip I can get. But todays, I play fingerstyle most of the time anyway.

As for what Manticore said, he has a point indeed. Developing musicianship is a life-long journey, and developing proper technique from the start is crucial, once your brain learns something the wrong way, it's hard to overwrite that again. Plus, you need a lot of theory, scales, modes and all and some things you cannot learn by exercising, like the ability to really "hear" things. Add endless sessions of sometimes boring exercises, daily. There are no shortcuts to becoming a decent player, and I think that is what Manticore meant. Where we probably may differ is this: My musical education started at the age of six too, but I had to learn Recorder first for two years. Then, when my hands were large enough, I learned Classical Guitar for another five years, with the help of a teacher. I really like classic guitar, but that definitely was not what I wanted to play. I wanted to play electric, like the guys on MTV. My parents wouldn't buy me one, so I had to wait until the uni. After having saved all money for half a year, it still was not enough, so I waited for the start of the next month, withdrew everything available and starved for the rest of the month, but I was the proud owner of a black Godin tele (with a four digit serial no). I still had to exercise daily, but now it was fun, and that made a real lot of difference 😉

O7,
🙃

NB. I got both editions of Rocksmith and can recommend them. Most of the songs I don't like, but the method itself is fun, and the scale and timing trainer games are definitely more interesting than metronome clicks (and precise timing is crucial). Never exercise without a metronome of sorts.
Rocksmith is fantastic
I live in minor pentatonic land
SRV is not a vehicle in my world.

Try a coin 🎸

So do you guys think I can do this if I put my mind to it?

I do understand why some people might have their doubts but if I never try I'll never know, right?

Yes.
You've taken the first step already.
You've already decided that you'd "like to try playing guitar".
Keep that thought with you.

One more thing I will tell you about my early experiences.
When I first started, I realised that my left hand didn't really belong to me. Trying to move my left hand fingers to create the correct chord shapes was almost impossible at first. Even taking my time with it. It was as if my hand belonged to somebody else. No way was it possible for me to change between chord shapes in time with music, even with an hour a day, five days a week it took several weeks before the chords sounded right and clean.
Fast forward a few more months and I was introduced to bar chords. Same experience all over again.
The moral I'm trying to express is that it takes time and dedication. So be prepared for that in order that you don't get demoralised.
I don't know if others share that experience of having someone else's left hand in the end of their arm, or if it took them as long to sound even half decent chords in time with music.... I was 38yo when I started, and age does play a role in how quickly you can develop your muscles, dexterity, coordination, speed, timing and brainpower.
Just don't be put off unduly by slow progress.
Besides, you're getting an electric, right? So the simple noises you can make should be smile inducing enough to keep the motivation going :)

All the best, and happy to help you any time with any specific or general questions. Even though I really am just an amateur "only for myself" hobbyist, who doesn't practice very much any more.

Mark H

Deleted member 110222

D
The one negative poster aside, thank you all for the kind words.

I'm really hoping that this can be a part of reinventing myself into a better person. And by that I mean I want to simply be happier.

My depression gets worse the longer I do nothing. So I'm sure the logic is there, when I think that learning an instrument will actively give my brain something to do.

I also have PTSD. I don't know if any of you have any experience with PTSD, but it's a cruel condition. The problem with doing nothing is that it leaves plenty of time for your mind to have flashbacks. I need to find something to do that might hopefully push against those unwanted flashbacks. Actually playing MMOs has helped a little: Getting higher DPS is a fairly good activity to deal with crap.

But games are not the final answer. I need something real for the long-term/rest of my life.

Yes you can definitely do it, if you really want it. Ignore nay sayers, they've most likely tried & failed or never tried.

As you know i started last September at 59, I'm now on barre chords, I can make the shapes, can play the chords, still issues with the transitions, just as when I learned standard chords, but I cracked that, so I know it will come, if I put in the practice & effort.

Despite the claims on YouTube videos, there are no short cuts, there is no easy way & there are no gimmicks that will help you.

As an example, there is a video "having trouble playing the "A" chord, play it with one finger" or words to that effect. Well yes, you can play the "A" chord with one finger (I now do) but in reality, there is no way you can use this "easy way" until you've done all the hard work as there is no way your fingers will be strong enough. This is the case with most easy way/short cuts, you can't generally use them at bigginer level, they only act to discourage your progress.

As to your fingers, don't fret about it at this stage, just get started. When the finger pain/soreness starts you will have plenty of questions. We'll still be hear to answer help & support you (as best my limited knowledge will allow).

I see your familiar with the saying "buy cheap, buy twice" my gran used to say that, she also used to say "more talked about, less done" so time to crack on.

Last edited:
Last edited:
So do you guys think I can do this if I put my mind to it?

I do understand why some people might have their doubts but if I never try I'll never know, right?
Yes, absolutely - there's no question of this (assuming by "do this" you mean "learn to play the guitar"). If people really put their mind to it then they can ... "do anything" I don't know about ... but "learn to play the guitar?" ... yes, definitely.

It will take considerable time and dedication but hopefully you'll you'll be having too much fun to notice.

Last edited:

Deleted member 110222

D
Yes, absolutely - there's no question of this (assuming by "do this" you mean "learn to play the guitar"). If people really put their mind to it then they can ... "do anything" I don't know about ... but "learn to play the guitar?" ... yes, definitely.

It will take considerable time and dedication but hopefully you'll you'll be having too much fun to notice.
Yeah that's what I meant.

Just really want to do something that isn't a video game. But it also needs to be something I can do at home because IRL hates me for existing.

I just want to compare myself to myself. Is that really so wrong?

Just to give my 2c: while Manticore may present his opinions somewhat crudely, there is a very important thing I suggest you consider. Learning an instrument is challenging. It can be frustrating. As such, it can be very tempting to go for the 'low hanging fruit', the easy to almost-kinda-learn, instant-gratification approach. Banging out something vaguely resembling Smoke on the Water with the gain up to 11. Is that bad? Well, it depends. If you really want to compare yourself with yourself, you want to do it properly. If you just 'kinda' learn and fudge about a bit, you will at some point hit a brick wall. And to improve any further will require you to unlearn all the bad habits, which is some forsaken terribly demotivating many, if not most, will not have the mental strength to even bother. And then you're stuck; not because you wanted to, not because you reached your goal, but simply because you started poorly and realized that too late.

As such I definitely recommend getting a teacher for at least a few months, just so your basics are actually solid. There is nothing wrong with starting directly with electric guitar, but don't muck your future up by taking the tempting easy road at first.

Hi man. I'm back and yes, I'm on meds too. I experienced an incident with the Boogeyman in 1998. For real. The mind is a powerful thing. Now, back to the subject...the guitar. Rule #1...you want to enjoy it. So get an accoustic so you don't spend big money. So if you lose interest you're not broke after it. My friend had a nylon string accoustic and was playing the soft part of Master of Puppets by Metallica. It sounded great ! And I was sucked in. If you buy an electric then you will have to buy an amp and that's going cost a couple of hundred and I'd feel terrible if you lose interest. You can get a standard accoustic for 150 euro as opposed to 500 euro. If you give it time, learn a few riffs, then maybe get into it seriously.

So get an accoustic so you don't spend big money. So if you lose interest you're not broke after it.

Cheap accoustics are often physically painful to play and a primary reason for people quitting. And when you are starting out, you can't tell yourself and don't know how to properly do a setup either. Also, you do not need to buy an amp if you buy electric. If you have a computer you can use something like amplitube, guitar rig, or Revalver. Most of them have freeware versions, and for a little money you get a pile of different amps and effects. Modern versions sound far better than entry level amps anyway.

Just plug your guitar into your pc and have fun.

In order to get the "distortion" sound on our accoutics, me and my friend used to strum down by the saddle of the guitar...to the right of the soundhole. You would be surprised how mean an accoustic guitar can sound. I only bought a black Takamine accoustic last year and I'm learning some beautiful metal riffs. A lot of metal songs have accoustic or "clean tone" in them. I'm going to learn some Megadeth stuff next. Guns n Roses had some great not-too-hard riffs to learn. "Don't Fear the Reaper" is a beautiful riff also and very manageable with practice. Ac\Dc stuff too. Iron Maiden ? Some is ok

Physically painful ? That's the beauty of an accoustic. You're a hardened gunslinging veteran of the psychic wars... A nickel plated steel string accoustic will burn into your finger tips but it adds character and your fingers develop callouses and harden. But a nylon won't...it's lovely and soft :)
I think the real pain is in trying to play F
I know what you're saying but this is just the way I started and it worked for me. Besides, years later I think the sound of an accoustic is as beautiful as any electric. If not more so.

Slash started on a 1 string accoustic guitar he found in a closet....so if the guitar is for you , it doesn't matter what you start with. Good read, "Slash".

Deleted member 110222

D
Just to give my 2c: while Manticore may present his opinions somewhat crudely, there is a very important thing I suggest you consider. Learning an instrument is challenging. It can be frustrating. As such, it can be very tempting to go for the 'low hanging fruit', the easy to almost-kinda-learn, instant-gratification approach. Banging out something vaguely resembling Smoke on the Water with the gain up to 11. Is that bad? Well, it depends. If you really want to compare yourself with yourself, you want to do it properly. If you just 'kinda' learn and fudge about a bit, you will at some point hit a brick wall. And to improve any further will require you to unlearn all the bad habits, which is some forsaken terribly demotivating many, if not most, will not have the mental strength to even bother. And then you're stuck; not because you wanted to, not because you reached your goal, but simply because you started poorly and realized that too late.

As such I definitely recommend getting a teacher for at least a few months, just so your basics are actually solid. There is nothing wrong with starting directly with electric guitar, but don't muck your future up by taking the tempting easy road at first.
I am going to a teacher. That's the point I've been making. I literally said as much earlier. :p

Top Bottom