Question for Skyrim / RPG fans re Outer Worlds

As a game it is solid. Just good in all aspects. As an Obsidian game...there's something missing. Something I can't quite describe. There's no zing. No passion to it somehow.

I can't get my head around why I don't like OW. I've tried so many times to like it and I keep thinking I will and I fail every single time.

One of my issues with the game is the companions, GFX in games have gotten very good over the years but recently playing ME:L showed me just how little many other parts of games and gameplay have moved on.

I did two playthroughs. It has the campiness of the Fallout series, with a quirky filter on dialogue and setting typical of Bethesda experiences.

It is a very pretty game, with a color saturation much higher than you would have with Fallout.

Some of the in-game computer interfaces are weirdly dated and a little too much of a call back to Fallout.

There is some redundancy in the use of enemy assets, and their AI is fairly soft. Stealth sniping is always the go to easy path, but I did enjoy the science route for the silly weapon effects.

As has been mentioned by other posters, the story is fairly linear but there are different flavored outcomes based on your decisions.

Given its date of release I would have expected some base building ship upgrading to be part of the experience, but it was absent.

Crafting was breaking down loot into useable components to repair or upgrade your gear. Weapon mods changed damage type, upgraded DPS, offered different scopes. Nothing too innovative. Spent a lot of time hating my own appearance because you will be looking to optimize your gear stats.

You generally do not see your own face. No romance. Each crewmember NPC has a loyalty mission chain. There are inter NPC crew conflicts.

I'd say buy it on sale as a nice diversion.

As a game it is solid. Just good in all aspects. As an Obsidian game...there's something missing. Something I can't quite describe. There's no zing. No passion to it somehow.
I think they are forcing the humour too much, sometimes. It's a really dark game if you think about it and outweighing it with humour and silly colours may have seemed like a good idea on paper but it can feel jarring at times. Out of place.
Though one have to consider the game's budget and the fact that the thing they tried to do with it may have not come through fully. Literally everything in the game feels like only about 60% of it was implemented in the end.
It seems with OW2 they are going to crank everything to 11 and this time, with much more resources and time, it might actually work 100%. At least I hope so. :)
The trailer had me in fits. :LOL:

I can't get my head around why I don't like OW. I've tried so many times to like it and I keep thinking I will and I fail every single time.

One of my issues with the game is the companions, GFX in games have gotten very good over the years but recently playing ME:L showed me just how little many other parts of games and gameplay have moved on.
This is one of the problems with modern gaming I think - people want new things but not really. Old-school systems like ME or Outer Worlds get scolded for being outdated in their mechanics, but then an innovative game comes out and it totally flops because it turns out people actually don't know what they want. :)

While I'm waiting for Odyssey to get sorted - I decided to revisit this game.

After several updates, it is running smoother and cleaner, most bugs so far have been stomped.

As I play the fps elements of this game, it just feels so much more polished and finished relative to Odyssey. I'm running everything on ultra, banging around 50 -60 fps, and it is - well beautiful.

The crafting makes sense, is easy to access and progresses cleanly.

You are not playing the game to access mats for crafting, you are playing the game and the mats become available at a reasonable rate organically.

As I reflect on the Outer Worlds play, I am reminded with burning clarity why Odyssey isn't just broken, it's design from the ground up is just... wrong.

I sincerely hope that the FDEV redoubled efforts to repair the PC version of Odyssey are not simply focused on graphical fidelity / access, but also look at how the gameplay is integrated into the larger game.

At the current rate of FDEV progress, I have a sinking feeling that the "final most polished patch" will drop about the time Starfield comes out.

At that point ED will be more niche than it is now. Not saying doom, just saying niche.

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
While I'm waiting for Odyssey to get sorted - I decided to revisit this game.

After several updates, it is running smoother and cleaner, most bugs so far have been stomped.

As I play the fps elements of this game, it just feels so much more polished and finished relative to Odyssey. I'm running everything on ultra, banging around 50 -60 fps, and it is - well beautiful.

The crafting makes sense, is easy to access and progresses cleanly.

You are not playing the game to access mats for crafting, you are playing the game and the mats become available at a reasonable rate organically.

As I reflect on the Outer Worlds play, I am reminded with burning clarity why Odyssey isn't just broken, it's design from the ground up is just... wrong.

I sincerely hope that the FDEV redoubled efforts to repair the PC version of Odyssey are not simply focused on graphical fidelity / access, but also look at how the gameplay is integrated into the larger game.

At the current rate of FDEV progress, I have a sinking feeling that the "final most polished patch" will drop about the time Starfield comes out.

At that point ED will be more niche than it is now. Not saying doom, just saying niche.

It's a little bit like comparing apples to oranges tbh. Different type of games, with different goals and genres. It's like you compared GTA 5 driving to Project Cars 2 and complained GTA 5 is not realistic.

Sorry, but completely missed there.

It's a little bit like comparing apples to oranges tbh. Different type of games, with different goals and genres. It's like you compared GTA 5 driving to Project Cars 2 and complained GTA 5 is not realistic.

Sorry, but completely missed there.
Think about the FPS mechanics. Do you find the experience or moving, shooting and looting to be as accessible in Odyssey as in Outer Worlds? Even when Outerworlds is set at ramped up difficulties. Better FPS.

3.jpg

Just saying.

It was good, but only just.
Here's my personal taste- I want a great game to either have great writing or great (usually innovative mechanics). Outer Worlds has neither. It has okay to good writing, and a decent but nothing exciting shooter.
Obsidian has historically pushed the envelope in some aspect, and this just was not about that. It felt like they were being very safe.
Chris Avellone (edgy writer with interesting ideas) had left by that point, and I think Josh Sawyer (great game/systems designer) was smarting from Dreadfire II not knocking it out of the park. I have hope that with the Microsoft backing, Obsidian can take some risks and get some more hits in.
This was before that point in the timeline, and it kinda shows?

Minutes.jpg

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
It was good, but only just.
Here's my personal taste- I want a great game to either have great writing or great (usually innovative mechanics). Outer Worlds has neither. It has okay to good writing, and a decent but nothing exciting shooter.
Obsidian has historically pushed the envelope in some aspect, and this just was not about that. It felt like they were being very safe.
Chris Avellone (edgy writer with interesting ideas) had left by that point, and I think Josh Sawyer (great game/systems designer) was smarting from Dreadfire II not knocking it out of the park. I have hope that with the Microsoft backing, Obsidian can take some risks and get some more hits in.
This was before that point in the timeline, and it kinda shows?

View attachment 250563
Outer Worlds had a great and grim setting beneath the whole satire and grotesque IMO.

Maybe outer worlds 2 will be the home run they needed. I enjoyed OW but I can see how some may have been less enthused about also. I really like the DLCs stories

Outer Worlds had a great and grim setting beneath the whole satire and grotesque IMO.
I agree. I've been out of the game for a few weeks now as I seem to have been either in ED or Warframe but I'm actually looking forward to getting back into OW.

I actually like the way it forces moral positions on the player/character through word/dialogue checking.... you end up having to do some killing even if you don't want to.

It's more of a story game than a shooter, in my opinion.

Top Bottom