Question on Cargo and Ships...

Hello. I was just wondering, since I am going to start this Engineering stuff (maybe I shouldn't if I don't know this) and was wondering... does it matter what ship I collect things like "Conductive Components" or "Manganese" in? Do I need to collect these things IN the ship I plan to use for Engineering, or are materials just available to you on any ship, no matter what ship you used to collect them? Also, suppose I have a ship full of 64 tons of cargo and now I want to switch to a ship that has no Cargo Racks... where does the 64 tons of stuff go? Does it just stay on the ship you collected it all with, and if so, is it available to use if you're now in a different ship? Thanks!

Material storage is tied to the commander - not to a ship. It comes with you when you switch ships.

If you have 64 cargo you cannot switch to a ship with less cargo space. The game will not allow you until your cargo fits in the new ship.

Material storage is tied to the commander - not to a ship. It comes with you when you switch ships.

If you have 64 cargo you cannot switch to a ship with less cargo space. The game will not allow you until your cargo fits in the new ship.
Thank you. Just curious, if I have that 64 tons of cargo and I am IN that ship with the cargo, and say I want to swap over to my ship with no cargo... how can you add Cargo to the ship you want to use if you can't switch to that ship to install the needed cargo rack? I think I get it, you can't switch ships, period, until you do something with the 64 tons. Sell it, drop it, or the ship you want to use better have 64 tons of space... so say, I am building a Combat ship with no cargo, but I want to engineer my Beam Lasers and that blueprint calls for 1 ton of Manganese, then, at least for the engineering of Beams, I better have a 1 ton cargo rack or I can't use that Engineer. Am I overthinking this? Maybe stuff like Manganese is not a "Cargo" but a Material and thus doesn't need cargo space? I know, for the one Engineer I just unlocked, I need Soontill Relics so I need cargo space for those. Hmm. Lost.

Last edited:
Thank you. Just curious, if I have that 64 tons of cargo and I am IN that ship with the cargo, and say I want to swap over to my ship with no cargo... how can you add Cargo to the ship you want to use if you can't switch to that ship to install the needed cargo rack?
You cannot. Not without a personal fleet carrier to store the cargo for you.

Engineering materials are not cargo though. They just follow you.

Ooooo do you remember the days when you needed commodities to engineer. You needed in some cases data, materials and commodities per engineer role.

Then you needed to use cargo space, not any more though. Each material or data item has a cap on how many can be stored though which is accessed on your right hand panel

Haha

Thanks all! I appreciate it. I assume, when I needed cargo space for this one engineer (forgot her name) she needed Soontill Relics, that was just to satisfy her Invite requirement. So, I assume you'll need cargo space (maybe) to OPEN an engineer but not to use them for their services (various materials used for their upgrades)? Thanks!

Last edited:
Cargo space is irrelevant in terms of engineering materials collection. You can take stock Sidewinder and still top everything. Just mind that some engineers requiore COMMODITIES. And for that you NEED cargo racks.

Soontil Relics, isn't that Elvira Martuuk? Same to allpies to her counterpart - Felicity farseer - she will require 1 Meta Alloy as an welcoming gift. This is a commodity (bought in the markt, Maia system last I needed or harvested from alien barnacles, also Maia system). After you get access to the engineer, whole work is based on engineering materials (raw, encoded and manufactured). These do not take cargo space and you can swap ships to your heart content.

Just commodities (meta alloys, relics, etc) require target ship to have enough cargo space for the switch. If your target ship does not have cargo space you cannot swap to it and must sell the cargo first.

Cargo space is irrelevant in terms of engineering materials collection. You can take stock Sidewinder and still top everything. Just mind that some engineers requiore COMMODITIES. And for that you NEED cargo racks.

Soontil Relics, isn't that Elvira Martuuk? Same to allpies to her counterpart - Felicity farseer - she will require 1 Meta Alloy as an welcoming gift. This is a commodity (bought in the markt, Maia system last I needed or harvested from alien barnacles, also Maia system). After you get access to the engineer, whole work is based on engineering materials (raw, encoded and manufactured). These do not take cargo space and you can swap ships to your heart content.

Just commodities (meta alloys, relics, etc) require target ship to have enough cargo space for the switch. If your target ship does not have cargo space you cannot swap to it and must sell the cargo first.
Thanks! I am totally getting it now! Much Appreciated! And yes, that was Elvira Martuuk. I am using her for shields up to, I think Grade 3) and was wondering if I should bother using her for Grade 3, and just make the goal to open the Grade 5 engineer? Does it hurt to get some upgrades along the way to the best or wanted upgrade? Worst thing is you use more materials but you still get an engineering upgrade. Maybe it makes more sense just to go right for that Grade 5 engineer, in time saved collecting materials.

Last edited:
Glad I could help.
In the long run you should aim for G5 engineering and plan your way with that in mind, spending as little time as possible on engineers that are on the way. In the end you'll probably unlock most of them but why waste materials for stuff you won't use, right? If you want to plan your progress (material efficiency wise) I'd recommend CMDR Exigious' guides for material gathering (I think he has it on his site: edtutorials) and 3rd party tools like inara.cz.

You don't need an account there to access most of the data but having one and feeding it with your logs will help. Scripts will read your data and when browsing engineers it will give you exact amount of how many rolls you can perform on any given module and rank. On top - if you're missing some stuff Inara will tell you where to find it. Unless you follow gathering guides, get highest grade materials and trade down with traders.

Should you have any further or other questions - feel free to PM me, I'll try to help as best I can.

Cheers and have fun.

Glad I could help.
In the long run you should aim for G5 engineering and plan your way with that in mind, spending as little time as possible on engineers that are on the way. In the end you'll probably unlock most of them but why waste materials for stuff you won't use, right? If you want to plan your progress (material efficiency wise) I'd recommend CMDR Exigious' guides for material gathering (I think he has it on his site: edtutorials) and 3rd party tools like inara.cz.

You don't need an account there to access most of the data but having one and feeding it with your logs will help. Scripts will read your data and when browsing engineers it will give you exact amount of how many rolls you can perform on any given module and rank. On top - if you're missing some stuff Inara will tell you where to find it. Unless you follow gathering guides, get highest grade materials and trade down with traders.

Should you have any further or other questions - feel free to PM me, I'll try to help as best I can.

Cheers and have fun.
Thank you! On my way to gather materials... I watch Exigious and ObsidianAnt and Down to Earth Astronomy. Always good info but kind of confused on the Cargo vs Materials, vs Ships... Think I am all good now and ready to start getting my Krait MKII ready for Open Play. Getting bored of Solo, but not yet ready to get my butt kicked ;) Thanks!

Top Bottom