Question on Influence Match Trigger and Pending State

Hi, finally the BGS forum!

Got two questions for which I have not found an answer yet after going through a couple of guides.

1) when we say "match the influence to trigger a conflict state" - how close should that be 1%, or an exact match (0.1%), or some other value?

2) Once a state goes pending do corresponding actions contribute? or is there a risk that if actions are done in the pending period the match condition is lost and the pending conflict is deactivated and has to be activated again?
My scenario is an election pending - don't want to start missions in fear of getting them out of match and the pending election may be cancelled.

O7

Match, as in influence crosses.

Say Faction A has 12%
Faction B has 10%

Do work for Faction B to pass Faction A

Influence will match the next day showing 12.5% possibly, then a conflict will start.

Alternatively, Murder Faction A
They will match at 8.5% the next day instead.

It takes the average influence between two groups that cross paths on the influence spectrum as they day resolves.

A Conflict cannot go pending until the last one resolves the Recovery.

However, its a 0 day cooldown, so you can go from Recovery straight to another Pending conflict.

Last edited:
Hi, finally the BGS forum!

Once a state goes pending do corresponding actions contribute? or is there a risk that if actions are done in the pending period the match condition is lost and the pending conflict is deactivated and has to be activated again?
My scenario is an election pending - don't want to start missions in fear of getting them out of match and the pending election may be cancelled.

O7

Once a Conflict is Pending nothing will stop it going Active. In fact, it's a good idea to do as much as you can, in the Pending period, to raise your Influence and give yourself a head start once the Conflict goes Active.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
There is an effect that we call the catch....basically if a conflict state can trigger, the influences will catch (tie at an exactly equal value) if you have enough BGS activity to make one pass the other in either direction. State rules dertermining the effectiveness of different activities only appy to live states, but they are faction-wide.

There is an effect that we call the catch....basically if a conflict state can trigger, the influences will catch (tie at an exactly equal value) if you have enough BGS activity to make one pass the other in either direction. State rules dertermining the effectiveness of different activities only appy to live states, but they are faction-wide.
But don't be too enthusiastic. It is possible to give your faction so much support that the catch (what we call the Snap) rules don't apply and the program doesn't force the two factions on par. You will then have to either throttle back to bring the protagonists into line, or go hell for leather to push your faction over the second challenge threshold at around 65%.

Jane Turner

Volunteer Moderator
I have to disagree - whenever we've failed to catch its always been down to a mistake on our part missing a blocing state - usually a cooldown

And we've had coups go at 60.

Only times I have had issues are low-pop and where there was two other groups it could match - it'll line up with the closest average, so you could overshoot the one that started closer and land with the second that is technically higher.

Only times I have had issues are low-pop and where there was two other groups it could match - it'll line up with the closest average, so you could overshoot the one that started closer and land with the second that is technically higher.
True, it's much more likely to happen in low pop systems with few factions - which a lot of my targets are - where it's easy to make a big impression over one tick.
But there are times when I think I'm playing a different game to everyone else.

Edit: There is one situation where this might be nore likely to happen. If your faction makes a move on another while it is busy in some State, the BGS seems to 'forget' the leapfog has taken place. There was a recent question on a system where the system controller was not the leading faction.

Last edited:
It takes the average influence between two groups that cross paths on the influence spectrum as they day resolves.

^^This is new to me! ok so I don't neet to slow down to inch up the last few percent ! this changes a bit of things for me. :D o7

also good to know about that once pending starts I can continue to push thanks NeilKD for confirming that one :) o7

Thank you all for your helpful input !
o7 commanders

^^This is new to me! ok so I don't neet to slow down to inch up the last few percent ! this changes a bit of things for me. :D o7

also good to know about that once pending starts I can continue to push thanks NeilKD for confirming that one :) o7

Thank you all for your helpful input !
o7 commanders
Keep in mind about that chance skip - if there is a second faction just above it and you over shoot you land up fighting the wrong group than intended.

Granted, its a rare occurance, and usually only occurs in very low pop systems where influence swings can become significant.

Top Bottom