Questions about the cobra engine

Which Cobra engine?

Horizons currently runs over seven times faster for me than Odyssey...

...in full-screen. These aren't full-screen though, so I can show CPU and GPU loads.

d4uO5Q3.png

yyQyWeW.png
Shame that the engine in Odyssey doesn't support SLI well... But then, is Nvidia making any serious effort to support SLI still?

Shame that the engine in Odyssey doesn't support SLI well... But then, is Nvidia making any serious effort to support SLI still?
No, but they aren't breaking it either. The last card to support it was the 3090, but I don't think they bothered making vary many profiles at all for it, and then this year is the last year they added any new games to it.

But yeah, considering I bought Odyssey way back in 2015, it'd be nice. I don't think that's the only issue with it not running well for me, but probably one of the more significant ones.

Cheers.

No, but they aren't breaking it either. The last card to support it was the 3090, but I don't think they bothered making vary many profiles at all for it, and then this year is the last year they added any new games to it.

But yeah, considering I bought Odyssey way back in 2015, it'd be nice. I don't think that's the only issue with it not running well for me, but probably one of the more significant ones.

Cheers.
So, you really wish the game had stuck as it was in 2015 so that your 2 Titan Black cards would remain the "dogs danglies"? Understandable as the outlay would have been considerable at that time. ;)

Perhaps you could put an "Add SLI correctly in Odyssey" thread in the suggestions section?

But, I do think that the version of COBRA must have changed in Odyssey for it to no longer support SLI (likely Crossfire, although I don't know if AMD are still supporting that either, it too is pretty ancient) as efficiently as Horizons.

It technically does actually use SLI, just not well – I think maybe Frontier don't plan or test for it. Other games and such that don't support it still run reasonably well for me, though of course not quite as well as those that do.

The Unigine Superposition benchmark doesn't use SLI but runs pretty well for me still. I mention it because their earlier benchmarks Heaven and Valley do use SLI, so it's an engine comparison of sorts, if that makes any sense.

jGjFHfL.png

Anyway, SLI at face value shouldn't explain a difference in performance of seven times (I don't use seven graphics cards), but it likely compounds things.

Edit: Suggestions thread as suggested → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...nue-to-support-sli-in-odyssey-as-well.593010/

Cheers.

Last edited:
It technically does actually use SLI, just not well – I think maybe Frontier don't plan or test for it. Other games and such that don't support it still run reasonably well for me, though of course not quite as well as those that do.

The Unigine Superposition benchmark doesn't use SLI but runs pretty well for me still. I mention it because their earlier benchmarks Heaven and Valley do use SLI, so it's an engine comparison of sorts, if that makes any sense.

jGjFHfL.png

Anyway, SLI at face value shouldn't explain a difference in performance of seven times (I don't use seven graphics cards), but it likely compounds things.

Edit: Suggestions thread as suggested → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...nue-to-support-sli-in-odyssey-as-well.593010/

Cheers.

Hmm. Just ran a benchmark on my PC using your settings:
cnPKxQR.jpg

Not that many meaningful comparisons to draw that are relevant to EDH/EDO performance but I was a bit surprised at how much higher my score was.

Hmm. Just ran a benchmark on my PC using your settings:
cnPKxQR.jpg

Not that many meaningful comparisons to draw that are relevant to EDH/EDO performance but I was a bit surprised at how much higher my score was.
Hmm. I'll have to try it disabling SLI at the driver level. Your score does seem significantly higher and I wouldn't think your hardware would be that much more capable. :unsure:

Cheers.

Hmm. I'll have to try it disabling SLI at the driver level. Your score does seem significantly higher and I wouldn't think your hardware would be that much more capable. :unsure:

Cheers.

Well the OS & drivers won't make that much difference, and my CPU has fewer cores & cache but I have significantly more VRAM (IIRC SLi doesn't add the RAM on each card) which might be a limiting factor in EDO even though you still easily meet the minimum spec on a single card.

I just ran the benchmark again but at 4k (I play ED in 4k, although currently downscaled to get acceptable framerate) and got 10688.

I agree that for the benefit EDO does seem quite demanding but perhaps you might benefit from more VRAM for the shiny in game :)

I am assuming of course, that other tasks you use your hardware for would still knock my simpler but newer hardware for six ;)

Alright, but what sort of uncapped FPS are you getting in Horizons in the main menu hanger at 1920x1080 ultra?
I understand it isn't apples to apples since I'm using SLI; I'm just curious. I honestly didn't think the 1080s were that further along than the Titan Blacks.
I've been holding on to them for their double precision compute performance for Milkyway@home crunching. Maybe I shouldn't have been. :oops:

Well, don't worry about it if you don't still have Horizons installed or whatnot just to satisfy my curiosity. :)

Last edited:
Alright, but what sort of uncapped FPS are you getting in Horizons in the main menu hanger at 1920x1080 ultra?
I understand it isn't apples to apples since I'm using SLI; I'm just curious. I honestly didn't think the 1080s were that further along than the Titan Blacks.

Mine isn't a 1080, it's a 1080ti (big difference, my son has a GTX1080 (8Gb) and my GTX1080ti (11Gb) is significantly faster like for like).

EDH menu at 1080p/ultra: 219fps (uncapped)
EDO menu at 1080p/ultra: 144fps (uncapped)

EDH menu at 4k/ultra: 66fps (uncapped)
EDO menu at 4k/ultra: 50fps (uncapped)

hth, if you want some other comparisons just ask.

Mine isn't a 1080, it's a 1080ti (big difference, my son has a GTX1080 (8Gb) and my GTX1080ti (11Gb) is significantly faster like for like).

EDH menu at 1080p/ultra: 219fps (uncapped)
EDO menu at 1080p/ultra: 144fps (uncapped)

EDH menu at 4k/ultra: 66fps (uncapped)
EDO menu at 4k/ultra: 50fps (uncapped)

hth, if you want some other comparisons just ask.
Well, that's more reasonable. I was a bit afraid you might get up in the high 300s or something in Horizons based on your Unigine Superposition performance. ;)
Might be DirectX related as well since I'm limited to v11 on Windows 7.
Odyssey is working much better for you though than what it's doing on my computer, which is good to see.
Thanks for humoring me. :)

Cobra won't ever pull off the vision Frontier sold us. It would take enormous work to improve and judging by their inept ability to even address lighting in Odyssey, I just ain't seeing it happening anymore.

Earth-likes, with forests and big game hunting etc... Forget it!
I just now saw the Jurassic World 2 trailer, and it literally caused my jaw to drop. I mean, it looks fantastic! I was really surprised. Then I thought, "Why does this look SO much better than Elite Dangerous? Doesn't this use the exact same graphics engine?"

So, can anyone explain this to me? Because if Frontier could ever make Elite look like JWE2, my goodness, I'd be their biggest fan again.

In case you didn't know - JWE 2 has forests, water, weather, and plenty of "big game". Maybe instead of adding all these things to Elite, they need to add spaceships to JWE2, lol :ROFLMAO:

Well, that's more reasonable. I was a bit afraid you might get up in the high 300s or something in Horizons based on your Unigine Superposition performance. ;)
Might be DirectX related as well since I'm limited to v11 on Windows 7.
Odyssey is working much better for you though than what it's doing on my computer, which is good to see.
Thanks for humoring me. :)

In ED, I have two advantages that probably help: more VRAM and a higher single core boost speed. Things like the OS, later drivers & generally newer hardware probably make little difference on their own but cumulatively might add up to a noticeable difference, but then you have more cores, more cache, more memory, more multi-tasking ability. I have a fast nVME drive (Samsung 970 evo plus using 4xPCIe gen3 lanes), probably faster RAM (3000MHz with XMP), swings & roundabouts but all probably favour my hardware in Superposition if not ED too.

I just now saw the Jurassic World 2 trailer, and it literally caused my jaw to drop. I mean, it looks fantastic! I was really surprised. Then I thought, "Why does this look SO much better than Elite Dangerous? Doesn't this use the exact same graphics engine?"

So, can anyone explain this to me? Because if Frontier could ever make Elite look like JWE2, my goodness, I'd be their biggest fan again.

In case you didn't know - JWE 2 has forests, water, weather, and plenty of "big game". Maybe instead of adding all these things to Elite, they need to add spaceships to JWE2, lol :ROFLMAO:
The difference between JWE2 and ED isn't "spaceships" - it's that ED has quite large procedurally generated galaxy where every action has an effect, and it's also an MMO while JWE2 is a relatively basic tycoon/park management game.

Top Bottom