Questions and Concerns from a Returning Player

I have a few questions and concerns regarding the game since the release of Horizons, and hopefully they may be given some consideration providing someone official sees this post that is. lol

1. Horizons has been out for quite some time now and having just recently come back to the game I am at a loss as to why one thing still has not been fixed regarding a simple quality of life improvement to the game. Why don't planets that have bases on them have some sort of description on the system map that when you click on the planet tells the player what kind of economy the base(s) on that planet has and/or if they even have a commodity market or what other amenities the base offers? It is so very annoying to load up on a commodity when running a mission to a surface base only to find out that the base either has no market to trade with or playing a guessing game as to what you think the economy may be if you have never been there or don't remember. It is only my opinion, but this is something that should have been addressed shortly after the release of Horizons in my opinion.

2. I have been running missions since my return earning money to outfit the Cutter that spent the better part of this year in storage as I have not been playing. Since my return I have noticed that quite often when I take a mission, be it a hauling mission or a passenger mission that they fail immediately after taking them and the only explanation is a mission update message that simply says "hidden contact". This is just kind of an annoyance, as I plot routes based on what missions are available and when this happens sometimes it means that I would have been better off choosing a different destination based on what missions were available if only one of the missions doesn't fail when accepting it. Is this a bug or some kind of annoying feature of the mission system? This becomes a pain when you end up with stolen goods after abandoning the failed mission and you either forget about them or don't have a black market immediately available to relieve yourself of them while in space dock. I can't think this is some kind of feature and assume it is a bug, and assuming that are FD aware and do they have plans to fix this with an upcoming update? Hopefully before the next expansion arc arrives?

3. Lately I have been contemplating wiping my save, I am still undecided and would not consider it if players were allowed more than one commander save but that is what it is......so......

If I did choose to wipe my save, is it possible to reuse the same name and gender as my current commander? What happens if anything to the few planetary bodies I was first to discover (not many really, just a handful but still curious)?

The answer to that question will have an effect on my decision on whether or not to wipe my save going forward.

Thanks for reading and anyone can feel free to comment :)

Last edited:
1. If you zoom in on the planet with the scroll wheel it goes into a sub-map that shows an overlay on the planet with the bases shown on them in their actual positions, there you can highlight the bases and check economy. services, etc.

2. Haven't seen this myself, so no comment from me on it.

3. afaik you can reuse the same name, no idea what happens to any discoveries though

1. If you zoom in on the planet with the scroll wheel it goes into a sub-map that shows an overlay on the planet with the bases shown on them in their actual positions, there you can highlight the bases and check economy. services, etc.

2. Haven't seen this myself, so no comment from me on it.

3. afaik you can reuse the same name, no idea what happens to any discoveries though

Thanks for the info, I had no idea you could do that with the planets on the system map with planetary bases. Nothing was more annoying than to take a gamble hauling a load of geological equipment or skimmers or some such only to find that the base traveled to doesn't have a commodity market. Also the fun of traveling to a Colony where the only exports they ever seem to have is Hydrogen Fuel and poo poo......

Regarding the reset, I am still undecided but lately I have felt an urge to play hardcore, or at least a modified version of a self imposed ironman style of play. I have only had 6 ships destroyed since the launch of the game and to be honest I don't even remember that many but I know at least half of them were due to mishaps with trying to squeeze an Anaconda or Cutter through the mailslot with a T9 or similarly impossible ship coming the other way and getting wedged. Also one mishap with the Cutter getting entangles on a light tower on a planetary base that the locals took an exception with and decided to extricate me in their own barbaric fashion.

I remember a chart of dice roll results that someone made up for "iron man" play and was considering a reset following those rules for immersion purposes. As the suspension of disbelief after a while becomes silly after so many ship destructions....

I have a few questions and concerns regarding the game since the release of Horizons, and hopefully they may be given some consideration providing someone official sees this post that is. lol

1. Horizons has been out for quite some time now and having just recently come back to the game I am at a loss as to why one thing still has not been fixed regarding a simple quality of life improvement to the game. Why don't planets that have bases on them have some sort of description on the system map that when you click on the planet tells the player what kind of economy the base(s) on that planet has and/or if they even have a commodity market or what other amenities the base offers? It is so very annoying to load up on a commodity when running a mission to a surface base only to find out that the base either has no market to trade with or playing a guessing game as to what you think the economy may be if you have never been there or don't remember. It is only my opinion, but this is something that should have been addressed shortly after the release of Horizons in my opinion.

2. I have been running missions since my return earning money to outfit the Cutter that spent the better part of this year in storage as I have not been playing. Since my return I have noticed that quite often when I take a mission, be it a hauling mission or a passenger mission that they fail immediately after taking them and the only explanation is a mission update message that simply says "hidden contact". This is just kind of an annoyance, as I plot routes based on what missions are available and when this happens sometimes it means that I would have been better off choosing a different destination based on what missions were available if only one of the missions doesn't fail when accepting it. Is this a bug or some kind of annoying feature of the mission system? This becomes a pain when you end up with stolen goods after abandoning the failed mission and you either forget about them or don't have a black market immediately available to relieve yourself of them while in space dock. I can't think this is some kind of feature and assume it is a bug, and assuming that are FD aware and do they have plans to fix this with an upcoming update? Hopefully before the next expansion arc arrives?

3. Lately I have been contemplating wiping my save, I am still undecided and would not consider it if players were allowed more than one commander save but that is what it is......so......

If I did choose to wipe my save, is it possible to reuse the same name and gender as my current commander? What happens if anything to the few planetary bodies I was first to discover (not many really, just a handful but still curious)?

The answer to that question will have an effect on my decision on whether or not to wipe my save going forward.

Thanks for reading and anyone can feel free to comment :)

1. As Steve mentioned mousewheel in or there is a button which looks like two brackets or an egg (), click that and it goes into a planet view where you can see the bases and hover over them to see station services.
I still don't find it very clear but its better than nothing.

2. Can't help either

3. Having reset my save once after gamma, you can re use the name. If its common and someone happens to pick it before you in between wiping and new creation then it would be lost.
With discoveries they will always be credited to the name that found them, even if the save is deleted because they are kept server side and not in your commander save. So if you pick the same name then they will still technically be you, if you don't they will be old you and any future ones will be new you.

2. is a known bug that came around on the latest update. Been reported lots, and they are aware of it. Restarting the client seems to fix it for that game session for most.

Thanks for the reply, I am hopeful it will be fixed soon since they know about it. I will just have to try the client restart to see if that resolves the issue or deal with it when it happens until it is fixed I guess.

Top Bottom