Quick temporary dark graphics "fix" for my nVidia friends.

Set your gamma to where it was in Horizons and make sure to turn this back off when you are finished with your Odyssey perils.
I can sort of make out some stars on the skybox this way.

OdysseyGraphicsTempFix.jpg

Last edited:
No option for the VR headset :( and this brightness / contrast / whatever thing is the worst thing for me - star corona's look fuzzy, ice planets look like little suns and my dashboard is wreathed in blackness, not just dark but merging with the outside black...
Anyone saying this is correct doesn't know how light (and our eyes) work.

EDIT: Just saw a thread where the brightness has been toned down in an update, so fingers crossed...

Last edited:
No option for the VR headset :( and this brightness / contrast / whatever thing is the worst thing for me - star corona's look fuzzy, ice planets look like little suns and my dashboard is wreathed in blackness, not just dark but merging with the outside black...
Anyone saying this is correct doesn't know how light (and our eyes) work.
There is a version of Reshade with basic support for VR. There you can control image in VR beyond what's possible in the game. Actually if you add shaders from the standar versions of reshade to this, most of them will work. I can't live without this anymore in Elite and DCS.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, why not use the in-game filters? I use the "Color" one to get a pretty decent correction, though I can't quite eliminate the green-ish tint to the blue cockpit elements on my monitor. The details filter is great all the time...

HgAzgi2.jpg

I'll get some actual screenies up when I can.

Alt+Z should bring up the main overlay. You can set things up from there. Check my sig "Freestyle Filters" link if you don't have them.

BTW, unlike ReShade (which I haven't used; this is based on comments above), the NVidia filters are just overlays, like Photoshop layers, so they have no impact on FPS.

Last edited:
All choices, my friend ;)

I didn't know GFE was Windows only, tho. It's free, so if you can install it there's no reason not to. I honestly can't play without it, it makes such a huge difference. I'll post with/without screenies later, including Horizons so you can see what it should look like.

I went into the graphics config xml and changed star instance count from 4000 to 32000 and now see lots more stars, can even make out some coloured ones.

EliteDangerous64 2021-05-26 20-56-33-52.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's better than before.

Last edited:
That's one I always left alone. More hard-edged lines of sectors that I hate in the skybox. But I may mess with it now. If they never fix the double-gamma issue, that is.

Yeah, it's just a rough quick fix while the lighting is so borked. I never used it in Horizons either, for the same reason.

Top Bottom