Races in space and on planets.

Players often race both on planets and in space during the game (on asteroid fields, in canyons above the surface and on the surface of planets on SRV).
In this regard I have a proposal to make a modules for spaceships and SRV, which will help to arrange checkpoints (rings, gates) through which it should be possible - to pass and fly. Thus, the checkpoint rings will form the route.

1. First of all, I propose to make the possibility just to place the rings: in space, over the surface and on the surface of planets. I suggest to place these ones by pressing the button during the flight on the spaceship, or drive the SRV. Checkpoint rings must be intangible and not cause damage to players (in case if the player does not fit into the checkpoint). It should be possible to put the checkpoint rings everywhere (regardless of interferences like mountains, stations, asteroids). The ring should be formed in its standard size, and if this size does not fit to the location (certain obstacles), should be partially hidden in objects.
2. Further I suggest to add the functions "Start checkpoint ring " and "Finish checkpoint ring" in order to measure the time of the route. And maybe something else.
Of course, checkpoints should be larger than showed on the picture (to allow to pass several players at the same time)

Last edited:
Would they be invisible and insubstantial unless you have "race mode" or something activated? Otherwise they could be very annoying for other people in the area.
With that proviso, it could make for a fun mechanic and so has my vote, for what it's worth :)

• Like (+1)
Reactions: GAL
Would they be invisible and insubstantial unless you have "race mode" or something activated? Otherwise they could be very annoying for other people in the area.
With that proviso, it could make for a fun mechanic and so has my vote, for what it's worth :)

I think it would be great, when you fly into such zones, to have the analogue of the "choice of the side/team" that is present in the "Fighting/War zones"

It should be at fixed times (several so that all timezones have a chance) and possibly allow viewers and bettings.
Perhaps different modes with own ship (small, medium and large classes) or fixed ship (all Mambas and such).

Checkpoint rings must be intangible and not cause damage to players

No I think you are missing a possibility there, they should be laser rings and chop you up if you cut through them, that way you can have different sized rings on the same course and the smaller the ring you succesfully pass through the more reward you get for completing the course.

• Like (+1)
No I think you are missing a possibility there, they should be laser rings and chop you up if you cut through them, that way you can have different sized rings on the same course and the smaller the ring you succesfully pass through the more reward you get for completing the course.

It would be great to have the opportunity to organize a mass- start. So that several pilots can fly through one checkpoint. But hardcore can be added of course... :)

We are already working on something like this. We have one track and a set of rules in place, but we are not ready to release the event yet, testing is ongoing. When it's finalised, you bet we will approach FD for such features to allow us to construct more tracks for your pleasure. And if they are not forthcoming, we will figure out tracks that do not require demarcation, it will just take longer.

• Like (+1)
We are already working on something like this. We have one track and a set of rules in place, but we are not ready to release the event yet, testing is ongoing. When it's finalised, you bet we will approach FD for such features to allow us to construct more tracks for your pleasure. And if they are not forthcoming, we will figure out tracks that do not require demarcation, it will just take longer.
It would be nice to have an ability of creation tracks by any person and anywhere. And, it might be interesting to share these ones with other players and save these tracks also. (But it's for the future, for a start it would be great to get checkpoints)

It would be nice to have an ability of creation tracks by any person and anywhere. And, it might be interesting to share these ones with other players and save these tracks also. (But it's for the future, for a start it would be great to get checkpoints)
Hm...yeh, eventually that would be nice. For now it would be great to just get 12 tracks out so we can do a championship season. On that front, we need to tell FD where to put the markers and even assuming they could/would do it, it's proven very difficult to make tracks that can be remembered from run to run, especially in the disorienting microcanyons of pomeche 2c and Ariel.

This is just a random run, but there are a lot of good sites here on ariel...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQnQ4P3pyC8

I like this idea and as already said it should be a module and the checkpoints are only visible to others if they have the module equip,they can call it a laser checkpoint deployment device or LCDD for short.

• Like (+1)
Hm...yeh, eventually that would be nice. For now it would be great to just get 12 tracks out so we can do a championship season. On that front, we need to tell FD where to put the markers and even assuming they could/would do it, it's proven very difficult to make tracks that can be remembered from run to run, especially in the disorienting microcanyons of pomeche 2c and Ariel.

This is just a random run, but there are a lot of good sites here on ariel...

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQnQ4P3pyC8
Yes, it looks great and not easy. It is difficult to repeat such a track, I agree that some base of tracks is needed, from which these ones can be loaded. And it will be useful for trainings also. Otherwise only one pilot will be win all the time.

I like this idea and as already said it should be a module and the checkpoints are only visible to others if they have the module equip,they can call it a laser checkpoint deployment device or LCDD for short.
Exactly, such a module should have an active mode «Show the track», and a second mode "Build the track". If there will be a possibility to save and share it, it will be totally great.

Top Bottom