Rail guns, why delay

Why is there a delay in firing rail guns. It really makes it hard when you press the fire button and it takes a beat to fire. Will engineering it help?

Why is there a delay in firing rail guns. It really makes it hard when you press the fire button and it takes a beat to fire. Will engineering it help?
First off, no, engineering won't change this at all.

As to why . . . balancing. Railguns are powerful. They can be engineered (with certain effects, heat is reduced by 40%, and let's not forget super penetrator and feedback cascade -- one harms SCBs (shield cell banks), disrupts shield recharge from those banks, and damages the banks, the other penetrates hulls (and, therefore, components) even better.

Their piercing value is insane, MUCH better than that of MCs, missiles, or lasers.

Now imagine them without a firing delay. There is a reason why class 3 and 4 railguns are still missing, and removing the firing delay would make them even more powerful -- too powerful.

If you don't like the railgun delay, try the plasma accelerators.

PAs have instant firing, but slow travel time as the trade-off. It is like throwing snowballs at the enemy. Similar to railgun it takes some practice to know when it is a good time to fire. And choosing which enemy will be faster and easier to defeat. Depending on how your brain works it might be easier. What is more difficult for the cmdr: delayed firing or slow travel time? For some reason I find PAs easier because of the similarity to throwing snowballs.

Edit: I usually use PAs in combination with some gimballed weapons because I find after the first shot hitting the speedy little ships with PA very difficult. For these guys I save the PA shots for only obvious easy hits. (PvE, mostly FA on, I'm not great at combat but I destroy NPCs just fine)

Last edited:

Long range fixed burst lasers
For example, a Corvette with a pair of huge long range fixed burs lasers will do 2x 3shots, in 1.6s, doing like 120 dmg.
No delay
Great to nail Powerplants from a distance

Large bursts are less impressive tho. Mediums are rather mellow.
But i've used them in both large and medium incarnations and they can be ok-ish

First off, no, engineering won't change this at all.

As to why . . . balancing. Railguns are powerful. They can be engineered (with certain effects, heat is reduced by 40%, and let's not forget super penetrator and feedback cascade -- one harms SCBs (shield cell banks), disrupts shield recharge from those banks, and damages the banks, the other penetrates hulls (and, therefore, components) even better.

Their piercing value is insane, MUCH better than that of MCs, missiles, or lasers.

Now imagine them without a firing delay. There is a reason why class 3 and 4 railguns are still missing, and removing the firing delay would make them even more powerful -- too powerful.
I'd prefer a charge-up cycle but instant release rather than the trigger delay to mitigate them being OP. I'd also prefer they be more damaging but VERY demanding on power. Something that you can't launch very often but when you do and it lands, it counts. High enough draw that loading up every slot on an Anaconda is simply not possible.

That's the typical balance on powerful sniper weapons. Slow to get the next shot off. And hard to get on target at close range.

Last edited:
My favorite railgun replacement is that Guardian "hold down to charge" plasma gun, forget the proper name for it. A pair of engineered ones were rewarded at one of the last CGs before the Live / Legacy split. I absolutely adore those guns. I have my pair on a cold DBS, and they dish out serious damage on both human and AX ships alike. They are like the best of both worlds between a rail gun and a plasma accelerator. I hold down the trigger to build up a charge, but it fires when I want it to fire (when I let go of the trigger), not on a timer, making it way easier to line up my shots. And while not instant, the projectile is way faster than a ball of plasma. Oh, and you can rapid-fire these at partial charge, which is great for taking out fast-moving fighters!

Best CG reward EVER! (well, at least for me)

PAs have instant firing, but slow travel time as the trade-off. It is like throwing snowballs at the enemy. Similar to railgun it takes some practice to know when it is a good time to fire. And choosing which enemy will be faster and easier to defeat. Depending on how your brain works it might be easier. What is more difficult for the cmdr: delayed firing or slow travel time? For some reason I find PAs easier because of the similarity to throwing snowballs.

Edit: I usually use PAs in combination with some gimballed weapons because I find after the first shot hitting the speedy little ships with PA very difficult. For these guys I save the PA shots for only obvious easy hits. (PvE, mostly FA on, I'm not great at combat but I destroy NPCs just fine)
For giggles max out some APAs with rapid fire / all the fast gizmos and slap those lads into a Vulture.

I'd prefer a charge-up cycle but instant release rather than the trigger delay to mitigate them being OP. I'd also prefer they be more damaging but VERY demanding on power. Something that you can't launch very often but when you do and it lands, it counts. High enough draw that loading up every slot on an Anaconda is simply not possible.

That's the typical balance on powerful sniper weapons. Slow to get the next shot off. And hard to get on target at close range.
I like the way you think. :)
I love railguns, though my newest corvette only uses one class 1 (long-range, plasma slug -- just to entice enemies to stop fleeing and get closer) (PVE only, therefore, not necessary), and I'd sell one of my two corvettes to get class 3 and class 4 railguns . . . and, yes, I realise they'd be so power-hungry, you'd likely see the lights dim every time you deploy those suckers. :D

It needs the capacitators to charge up enough energy. This energy cant be maintained indefinitely and dissipates quickly.
You could invent some space magic to make it persist, but we wouldnt want to engineer every skill requirement away, would we?

It needs the capacitators to charge up enough energy. This energy cant be maintained indefinitely and dissipates quickly.
You could invent some space magic to make it persist, but we wouldnt want to engineer every skill requirement away, would we?

Supercapacitor and battery can store electrical energy in quite long time. So almost of modern prototypes of rail gun and coil gun shoot a bullet instantly after pushing trigger/switch, by using pre-charged energy.

My favorite railgun replacement is that Guardian "hold down to charge" plasma gun, forget the proper name for it.
The Guardian Plasma Charger
They are like the best of both worlds between a rail gun and a plasma accelerator.
Agreed!
They were a pleasant surprise, even when used outside of AX combat.
@Hawkcode - You should definitely consider checking them out! o7

anyone remember the bug which gave ai rapid fire rail guns (or was it beam plasma i cant remember) back in the day?

they were brutal and not something which should be in the game.

Top Bottom