Railgun

• Thread starter Deleted member 115407
  • Start date

Deleted member 115407

D
I don't know what the difference is between a railgun and a gauss cannon, if anyone wants to explain.

Did you really need to post a 16+minute video with no expanations, I normally don't look at them unless there's some sort of explanatory text but I thought I would glance at this one, and ended up turning it off after about 20 seconds because of the utter pointlessness of it all.

I don't know what the difference is between a railgun and a gauss cannon, if anyone wants to explain.

Similar effect, different design. Gauss Cannon uses coils to create a traveling magnetic field, rail guns use two parallel rails to do the same.

Deleted member 115407

D
Did you really need to post a 16+minute video with no expanations, I normally don't look at them unless there's some sort of explanatory text but I thought I would glance at this one, and ended up turning it off after about 20 seconds because of the utter pointlessness of it all.
It's cool - it has a little handheld railgun.

Pull the stick out

Deleted member 115407

D
That's actually the other thing; a coilgun, aka gauss rifle.

Railguns are simpler and easier to achieve practical velocities but they need to be built very sturdy and are high maintenance. The rails will try very hard to rip themselves apart and the projectiles scraping down them tears them up after a few shots.
So the gun in the video is actually a coil gun? Cool!

That's actually the other thing; a coilgun, aka gauss rifle.

Railguns are simpler and easier to achieve practical velocities but they need to be built very sturdy and are high maintenance. The rails will try very hard to rip themselves apart and the projectiles scraping down them tears them up after a few shots.
yeah... my very abridged understanding was:
  • Both use electromagnetism
  • Railguns project the round along, funnily enough, rails.
  • Gauss guns push the round through a conductive coil (aka coilgun)

The specific mechanics I'm not able to explain, though I get the principles.

Deleted member 115407

D
yeah... my very abridged understanding was:
  • Both use electromagnetism
  • Railguns project the round along, funnily enough, rails.
  • Gauss guns push the round through a conductive coil (aka coilgun)

The specific mechanics I'm not able to explain, though I get the principles.
Yeah, I get it. I figured they were similar to each other.

Could have googled it, but thought I'd let some old friends explain it to me.

16 minutes to show a railgun, could have been done in 3 minutes, or linked to a starting spot where they demonstrate the gun, but I don't need to watch 16 minutes of 3 guys to see that! This is the internet, stuff needs to be on point or it just gets skipped!
Agreed.

A gel blaster that fires coins instead of gel balls.

Deleted member 115407

D
The gun in the video is a coilgun, not a railgun.

Not sure why the video was named what it was or why the guy kept saying railgun when the link he put in the description makes it clear it's a coilgun: https://e-shotgun.com/

Maybe railgun sounds cooler?
Probably because he's a gun nerd, not a science nerd.
I didn't know the difference either.

Top Bottom