Re: A Future without Elite - Dread the thought

Fellow Commanders,

Given that the planet we live on, the inevitable decay of all things around us, a bit of a depressing way to look at the world but after various recent events in my personal life I must ask this simple question. What will happen to Elite many years from now, will it always require that it be connected to a server in order to play, or will there come a time when a plug is pulled and Elite is no more, can it be stored on disc so that it can be played without an internet connection. I Spent many many wonderful hours playing various games in my life only to have the plug pulled at somepoint and my ability to play said game was no more.. I don't want this to happen to elite dangerous but I feel that in a world where anything is possible, this has to be considered a possibility.

I guess I want a little reassurance that at least in my lifetime and the lifetime of my children growing up and playing elite when they are older that they are going to have the chance to do so.

what are your thoughts on what I have said?

FDev have said that, should they decide to close down the game, they will release the server code. The Game can only be played on-line, as the Galaxy Model (which is 1 to 1 scale) takes up something like 100TB!

Last edited:
Fellow Commanders,

Given that the planet we live on, the inevitable decay of all things around us, a bit of a depressing way to look at the world but after various recent events in my personal life I must ask this simple question. What will happen to Elite many years from now, will it always require that it be connected to a server in order to play, or will there come a time when a plug is pulled and Elite is no more, can it be stored on disc so that it can be played without an internet connection. I Spent many many wonderful hours playing various games in my life only to have the plug pulled at somepoint and my ability to play said game was no more.. I don't want this to happen to elite dangerous but I feel that in a world where anything is possible, this has to be considered a possibility.

I guess I want a little reassurance that at least in my lifetime and the lifetime of my children growing up and playing elite when they are older that they are going to have the chance to do so.

what are your thoughts on what I have said?

Agree.
That is why many were very disappointed to hear that the off line mode was off the table.

ELITE VERY DANGEROUS 2 PC MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
100TB HARD DISK
QPU D WAVE PEGASUS CHIP PROCESSOR OR BETTER
4400 GB RAM
NVIDIA XXX9000 SERIES GPU OR BETTER
1680 GB VIDEO RAM
500GB PER SEC INTERNET CONNECTION (BECAUSE IT STILL HIRES AMAZON SERVERS!) 😁

Last edited:
Top Bottom