Re : Netlog and Journal

1. Does netlog being ON impact game? (like stutters)
1a. My netlog is 500M and I would like to delete them, ok to do so?
2. If netlog is OFF I assume various add-on programs like pathfinder can still see where I've been from my journal?
3. Is journal always on ? (I remember I had to put the verbose command VerboseLogging="1" after every patch)
4. Even though I did a default installation, some of my files(most infact) , are in the C:\Games\EDLaunch\Products\elite-dangerous-64, and some in the users>name here>saved games folder. There is no mention of GAMES in https://support.frontier.co.uk/kb/faq.php?id=108 , did location changes happen recently ?

ty all :)

Last edited:
Just dragging up this thread again - I found it in a search.
I have just moved my OS to an SSD after doing a reset on Win (with data). I now find that my 500Gb SSD has over 135 Gb of information held in Netlogs going back 2 years.
Ideally I would like to have these saved onto a different drive but also would like to know if there would be any issue with deleting them - or archiving a good proportion of them to a storage drive
Can anybody help? - I find the the ticketing process for contacting FDev absolutely incompatible with this type of question.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
NetLogs are not required by the game - and can be moved or compressed (with a very good compression ratio) if desired rather than deleted.

Just dragging up this thread again - I found it in a search.
I have just moved my OS to an SSD after doing a reset on Win (with data). I now find that my 500Gb SSD has over 135 Gb of information held in Netlogs going back 2 years.
Ideally I would like to have these saved onto a different drive but also would like to know if there would be any issue with deleting them - or archiving a good proportion of them to a storage drive
Can anybody help? - I find the the ticketing process for contacting FDev absolutely incompatible with this type of question.

Hmmm .... I have nearly 4 years of Netlogs in my directory (just under 3K items) and that is only 345MB.

Thank you for that concise reply. It explains why most of the netlog files were from 2017 and prior to that. I hived them all to a storage drive and freed up 115 Gb (which was a significant % of the 500Gb SSD drive they were sat on. Now to find out how to set the VerboseLogging to "0" and get journal files saved on a different drive.

I’ve another, more interesting question:

Why are the journals not used in game to a greater degree? There is so much useful information there that a “Flight Recorder” could be added to the right hand panel to provide us with so much more in-game information than we have, instead of having to rely on 3rd parties and occasionally questionable JSON interpreters to dig up that information for us.

Top Bottom