Horizons Recall Ship - Short Question

Hey mates,

when you recall your ship from inside the SRV, a timer starts counting to zero, before the ship actually drops back into normal space.
I've seen timers differ, from as low as 5 secs to up to 20 secs, i think.
Is there a logic behind that or completely random?
Just asking bc i'm working on my VA profile(with Orion's[Shatner's] voice), and this could help with immersion, you know.

The longer ago you dismissed your ship the longer it takes the ship to get back to you. If you dismiss your ship and recall it immediately the timer lasts 5 sec or so, if you recall it after 30 min it lasts 30 sec (which is the maximum AFAIK). The game sort of simulates your ship flying to a station and waiting there. If you look in the Galaxy Map while in your SRV you see a parked-ship icon at the location where you docked most recently.
Isn't it amazing your ship can undock, fly out of the mailslot, make one or more hyperspace jumps and then fly to the planet surface where your are waiting for it, all in 30 seconds? ;)

The longer ago you dismissed your ship the longer it takes the ship to get back to you. If you dismiss your ship and recall it immediately the timer lasts 5 sec or so, if you recall it after 30 min it lasts 30 sec (which is the maximum AFAIK). The game sort of simulates your ship flying to a station and waiting there. If you look in the Galaxy Map while in your SRV you see a parked-ship icon at the location where you docked most recently.
Isn't it amazing your ship can undock, fly out of the mailslot, make one or more hyperspace jumps and then fly to the planet surface where your are waiting for it, all in 30 seconds? ;)

Ah, okay.
So it's basically this:

http://i.imgur.com/gBKH3cj.webm

:)

I find it even more amazing when you're 65,000Ly from Sol and you dismiss your ship, and see it pop up on the galaxy map, parked at a station inside the bubble. My ship managed 65,279Ly in a single jump the other day. Pity it can't do that while I'm on board ;)

I thought the way that FD explained it your ship remained in orbit above you?

Yes they did, but the ship icon in the Galaxy Map shows something different. I was on an exploration trip some time ago and every time I dismissed my ship that icon would appear in the last system I docked... more than 1000 ly away.
It's probably a loose end in the game code somewhere. It doesn't bother me.
--edit: Ninja'd (and humbled) by Jon flint.

Last edited:
I find it even more amazing when you're 65,000Ly from Sol and you dismiss your ship, and see it pop up on the galaxy map, parked at a station inside the bubble. My ship managed 65,279Ly in a single jump the other day. Pity it can't do that while I'm on board ;)

LOL!!! Hopefully that little issue is patched

Last edited:
Extensive, player driven research is being carried out on the subject of ship recall as we speak!

Click banner for details.

Last edited:

So what happens when you get destroyed in your SRV 65000 LYs from the bubble? Do you get teleported back to the station your ship is docked? OMG...

...If you look in the Galaxy Map while in your SRV you see a parked-ship icon at the location where you docked most recently...

It does. And it doesn't. the red icon appears, but if you target the icon and look on the info tab of the galactic map, your ship isn't listed there. At least, that's what happens for me.

I have about 7 ships parked up in one location in the bubble. This was where I took off from for the DW Expedition. When I dismiss my ship, the ship list at that location is the same as when I'm actually in the ship. I'm a bit far away to test at the moment, but if I was back in the bubble I'd go and dock at another station to see if it actually appears in the ship list there.

Bit off topic but just a tip for the VA profile, make sure silent running isn't activated by voice. I was in a hasrez the other day and my other half asked me if fish and chips was ok for dinner, sounds great I replied but A.S.T.R.A then responded with "Silent Running Engaged" which left me with no shields and face to face with an elite anaconda which had just performed an asteroid assisted 180!

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
If you dock on a planet and then leave the pad in your SRV, your ship leaves the landing pad when you are around 2Km away (so it can free up the landing pad for others) and then it takes the full 30 seconds when you recall it. The only time I've had it take less is dismissing it from the ground and then driving a few Km and recalling it.

My guess would be that as your ship automatically dismissed when you get 2Km away from it, if you dismiss your ship and recall it within 2Km from where you dismissed it, it will take less time than if you go further out.

So what happens when you get destroyed in your SRV 65000 LYs from the bubble? Do you get teleported back to the station your ship is docked? OMG...

No, I believe you're ship is put back on the planet's surface you died on, where you are left without an SRV. Unless of course you're part of DW and then you get special treatment.

Bit off topic but just a tip for the VA profile, make sure silent running isn't activated by voice. I was in a hasrez the other day and my other half asked me if fish and chips was ok for dinner, sounds great I replied but A.S.T.R.A then responded with "Silent Running Engaged" which left me with no shields and face to face with an elite anaconda which had just performed an asteroid assisted 180!

Well, as i mentioned VA in the OP, it's not off topic at all, mate.
Even if it drifted into discussing bugs and Advertising.
[big grin]

Yeah, i'm actually very, very careful with VA.
I'd never, ever let it carry out commands like 'boost' or 'self destruct', to name two.

The most 'dangerous' i do is mode switching, and only when i'm sober.
Unfriended one and blocked another Buddy with misfiring macros, so...
:x

The longer ago you dismissed your ship the longer it takes the ship to get back to you.

Not always. I've dismissed my ship and cruised around for a few dozen kilometers, then had a 5 second wait for the ship to return. Not often, but it does happen.

So we can only guess, even if it's a good guess. Too sad, wanted to setup a somewhat multi-staged VA response to this.
You know, 1st acknowledgement at sending the order, 2nd at ship dropping to normal space / eye contact, 3rd at preparing to land.
With differences of up to 25 secs, won't work.
Ah well, you just can't have everything, huh.

It does. And it doesn't. the red icon appears, but if you target the icon and look on the info tab of the galactic map, your ship isn't listed there. At least, that's what happens for me.

I have about 7 ships parked up in one location in the bubble. This was where I took off from for the DW Expedition. When I dismiss my ship, the ship list at that location is the same as when I'm actually in the ship. I'm a bit far away to test at the moment, but if I was back in the bubble I'd go and dock at another station to see if it actually appears in the ship list there.

Last night I checked what happens when you dismiss a ship (Horizons 2.0.08). I started in a station where I have 4 ships stored. I flew to another system (ca. 40 ly trip), docked at a station there, departed, flew to a landable planet nearby and dismissed my ship. There was no ship icon at the station where I docked most recently. The ship icon at the station where I have 4 ships stored was there of course but now the list of ships included my dismissed ship showing 5 ships in total. After recalling my ship the list showed 4 ships again. AFAIK the game isn't aware that this station has a special meaning to me as a storage area. So why did it place my dismissed ship there? Maybe it puts the ship at the station where you started the play session? More testing required I think.

In beta it did exactly that. That was a bug and was fixed to be as Ozric describes.

I recently found myself missing that particular bug.

No, I believe you're ship is put back on the planet's surface you died on, where you are left without an SRV. Unless of course you're part of DW and then you get special treatment.

Chuckle.

<snip>...AFAIK the game isn't aware that this station has a special meaning to me as a storage area. So why did it place my dismissed ship there? Maybe it puts the ship at the station where you started the play session? More testing required I think.

Out of curiosity I did another test and I can now confirm that a dismissed ship is placed at the station the player was at at the start of the play session.

Top Bottom