Ships Recent buyer of a Type 9; some thoughts on its base weight and how to improve its immersive properties.

Recent buyer of a Type 9; some thoughts on its base weight and how to improve its immersive properties.

Right, so for the fun of it, I decided to get a Type 9. I got tired of flying super agile ships and even my Python since they all felt very similar. The type 9 feels wonderful to fly, being bulky and all but it simply has too many drawbacks for what little it's capable of.

Everything I've seen suggestions an Anaconda is a better ship in every single manner. The reduced space of less than 9% is greatly made up for by 50% more speed, greater agility, and much higher jump range, armor, and less weight, and horrible mass lock (which again, seems to be badly designed for "balance" because it weighs more than an Anaconda but has drastically worse Mass Lock for no real reason.)

Most of the above I'm alright with, for at twice the price, it should definitely be better in a lot of respects, and it's fairly immersive. However, what isn't immersive is the T9's base hull weight. At a thousand tons, this simply doesn't compare to an Anaconda's mere 400 (which is actually less than a Federal Assault Ship's strangely enough.) This base hull weight only seems to serve as an arbitrary limiting factor to balance the ship. However, I argue that 1000 tons is simply ridiculous in contrast to pretty much every other ship. As it serves primarily as a cargo ship, support structures are likely built to be light and durable with vast spaces inside to accomodate a much larger load.

It appears to me that the 1000 ton base hull weight was lazily slapped on to make it slower without actually looking at how it affects the rest of the ship. It has less armor than a Python, less shields than a Cobra, and is the slowest ship in the game, while having one of the worst jump ranges to begin with. It makes for a one trick pony in regards to trading bulk commodities, but that's it.

For a base cost of around 70-80 million, you're better off with a Python. My suggestion is to *lower the base hull weight to around 600 tons.* The ship would still be extremely heavy relative to other ships, but it would have a drastically better jump range to compensate for having a pathetically weak hull, dedicated to sheer space within the ship. The weight and size scale with the relative progression of the game while still offering plenty of utility; something that the vast majority of all ships have been able to do past the 50 million price range.

It's a fun ship, but the 1000 ton weight is extremely unimmersive for a cargo ship and frankly deserves to be changed. It won't hurt anyone and gives it a lot more utility. Reworking the modules to compensate for this might be more difficult, but it would be better in the long run.

For example, take a look between the Type 6 versus the Cobra MK3. The Type 6 holds more but has less base hull weight, but is still decently quick to get away and avoid danger. The type 7 begins to step away from this design by weighing a whopping 420 tons; 20 more than an anaconda for no real discernible reason.

I love the T9's design, but I do think it needs a change for the sake of immersion and frankly, overall fun. I don't think it would hurt anybody to give the trade ship a little more trade ability.

you're damn right ! i sold it because being rekted in every single way isn't fun at all. Though i still love this ship, give him some love FD !

Owning a T9 and using the words "fun ship" does not compute.
Only because it's current iteration makes it (practically speaking) straight crap, relative to an Anaconda. But no other ship actually gives me the sense of size and bulk and weight that the T9 does; practically speaking though, it's still not great. Besides, best =/= fun. However, being the worst also makes it harder to have fun.

Now I know people get mad and butthurt when people start comparing ships because then they make the argument that "well the ship you're comparing it to SHOULD BE BETTER," but that's not the point. The Anaconda is better in many respects, but as in my original post, having only 9% less total cargo but an easily 25-50% greater jump range combined with literally every other thing I listed that the Anaconda makes it a very weak purchase. The T9 is practically an end game ship and should be able to do the one thing it is purpose built for better than an Anaconda; trade.

People might also get upset when I propose that it utilizes less weight and therefore more jump range, because that might put it in competition with the Anaconda for largest jump range. However, that doesn't really hurt anybody and would actually make the ship competitive against the Anaconda with trade, but still losing out on every other aspect.

There was just a week or two ago such a thread. I'm right now on work and can't look for it :( The T9 is good as it is. I love him

Wish they buffed supercruise agility, I see no reason it should not be at least as agile as an Anaconda. I use it for mining mostly because of how it looks, thats my immersion.

Have to agree. All the T type ships are completely surpassed by the multi-role ships for a slightly higher upfront cost..
I'd love to see the player ship of choice statistics showing % of players flying each ship or playtime spent in each ship.

Back in the day the T type ships had radically lower fuel and repair costs giving them a purpose (still limited but if you survived it was cheap). Now hull and fuel is not insignificant but no longer a real factor in choosing a ship as it was back in the day. I remember using my clipper for trade for a while, those scratches from docking nearly made me cry!

Wish they buffed supercruise agility, I see no reason it should not be at least as agile as an Anaconda. I use it for mining mostly because of how it looks, thats my immersion.

I can tell you one reason:

Type-9: 76.555.842 cr

Anaconda: 146.969.451 cr

just in stock, i don't have to tell you that the price is much higher A-rated
:rolleyes:

The entire game is like this: there isn't much incentive to move to a cheaper ship once you can afford a better ship. Most ships are straight upgrades to smaller ships, with little or no trade-off.

Why fly an Eagle when you can afford a Viper? Why fly a Viper when you can afford a Vulture?

Though, one benefit to choosing a Type9 over an Anaconda (just to be contrary to what I said above), is that your "random encounters" will be easier, because generated interdictions are partially based off ship cost. So, since you are getting the same trader for much cheaper, the ships that are spawned to attack you should be weaker.

The entire game is like this: there isn't much incentive to move to a cheaper ship once you can afford a better ship. Most ships are straight upgrades to smaller ships, with little or no trade-off.

Why fly an Eagle when you can afford a Viper? Why fly a Viper when you can afford a Vulture?

Though, one benefit to choosing a Type9 over an Anaconda (just to be contrary to what I said above), is that your "random encounters" will be easier, because generated interdictions are partially based off ship cost. So, since you are getting the same trader for much cheaper, the ships that are spawned to attack you should be weaker.

So, interdictions take ship cost into account? No wonder I only mudstomp Condas and FDLs.

My cutter is around if not over a Bill.

So, interdictions take ship cost into account? No wonder I only mudstomp Condas and FDLs.

My cutter is around if not over a Bill.

The current talk is that it's a combination of your combat pilot rank (influenced by your other rankings) and the cost of your ship. This is part of why we still have so many different threads about people in tricked out Pythons complaining that AI is too tough, and people in Vultures complaining that AI is too easy. Both seem to be correct.

Last edited:
Right, so for the fun of it, I decided to get a Type 9. I got tired of flying super agile ships and even my Python since they all felt very similar. The type 9 feels wonderful to fly, being bulky and all but it simply has too many drawbacks for what little it's capable of.

Everything I've seen suggestions an Anaconda is a better ship in every single manner. The reduced space of less than 9% is greatly made up for by 50% more speed, greater agility, and much higher jump range, armor, and less weight, and horrible mass lock (which again, seems to be badly designed for "balance" because it weighs more than an Anaconda but has drastically worse Mass Lock for no real reason.)

Most of the above I'm alright with, for at twice the price, it should definitely be better in a lot of respects, and it's fairly immersive. However, what isn't immersive is the T9's base hull weight. At a thousand tons, this simply doesn't compare to an Anaconda's mere 400 (which is actually less than a Federal Assault Ship's strangely enough.) This base hull weight only seems to serve as an arbitrary limiting factor to balance the ship. However, I argue that 1000 tons is simply ridiculous in contrast to pretty much every other ship. As it serves primarily as a cargo ship, support structures are likely built to be light and durable with vast spaces inside to accomodate a much larger load.

It appears to me that the 1000 ton base hull weight was lazily slapped on to make it slower without actually looking at how it affects the rest of the ship. It has less armor than a Python, less shields than a Cobra, and is the slowest ship in the game, while having one of the worst jump ranges to begin with. It makes for a one trick pony in regards to trading bulk commodities, but that's it.

For a base cost of around 70-80 million, you're better off with a Python. My suggestion is to *lower the base hull weight to around 600 tons.* The ship would still be extremely heavy relative to other ships, but it would have a drastically better jump range to compensate for having a pathetically weak hull, dedicated to sheer space within the ship. The weight and size scale with the relative progression of the game while still offering plenty of utility; something that the vast majority of all ships have been able to do past the 50 million price range.

It's a fun ship, but the 1000 ton weight is extremely unimmersive for a cargo ship and frankly deserves to be changed. It won't hurt anyone and gives it a lot more utility. Reworking the modules to compensate for this might be more difficult, but it would be better in the long run.

For example, take a look between the Type 6 versus the Cobra MK3. The Type 6 holds more but has less base hull weight, but is still decently quick to get away and avoid danger. The type 7 begins to step away from this design by weighing a whopping 420 tons; 20 more than an anaconda for no real discernible reason.

I love the T9's design, but I do think it needs a change for the sake of immersion and frankly, overall fun. I don't think it would hurt anybody to give the trade ship a little more trade ability.

Old post however it sums up the real issue, the ridiculous artificial weight of the Anaconda, compared to the 900 tonne Corvette, 1100 tonne Cutter, 1000 tonne T9, the Anaconda is clearly the odd one out, artificially lightened to give it a high jump range.

Putting that all aside, the devs gave us engineers to put to bed these ridiculous buff/Nerf threads. I fly the Cutter/Anaconda/T9 and they all excel at the roles I assign to them.

Cutter - 700+ tonnes capacity long range mission hauler/ CG runner
T9 - Short range high capacity mission hauler
Anaconda - Long range hauler and CG Runner.

All ships are running LVL-5 FSD mods, even the T9 has a fully laden range of 19LY

Have been flying the T9 for years, never had issues in Combat both against Elite NPC's and survival against Cmdrs in Open, you just need to know how to handle the ship, the 1000 tonne base mass is actually a plus in combat.

Enough with these easy mode buff/nerf threads, the ship has a higher capacity than the Anaconda, can easily survive a fight in the right hands, FSD range is a non issue with a few upgrades.

Regarding Combat, I'll leave these videos here, freighter build 400 tonnes in Combat before they nerfed the AI again.

[video=youtube;gtAqjkho1ro]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtAqjkho1ro[/video]

[video=youtube;bxzrDtMION8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxzrDtMION8[/video]

[video=youtube;F8qre-cT2zk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8qre-cT2zk[/video]

Last edited:
Why people always use the "Anaconda is way better trader than T-9" as they are far from being comparable.
T-9 is made for trading and nothing else, the immersion you get when trading and flying with T-9 is just magnificent. I dont have Anaconda and probably never will, as i just dont like it.
Theres a reason for the game having designated traders in game. I have also Python which is well-known multipurpose ship, but it just doesnt feel right when trading with it.

I love T-9 despite its few issues, its the only ship ive had a vast immersion of being a space trader.

Why people always use the "Anaconda is way better trader than T-9" as they are far from being comparable.
T-9 is made for trading and nothing else, the immersion you get when trading and flying with T-9 is just magnificent. I dont have Anaconda and probably never will, as i just dont like it.
Theres a reason for the game having designated traders in game. I have also Python which is well-known multipurpose ship, but it just doesnt feel right when trading with it.

I love T-9 despite its few issues, its the only ship ive had a vast immersion of being a space trader.

If you play for Rp you right, but if you want to optimize time and money, Anaconda is better, little less cargo, but you can carry lot of wepons to defend yourself, and jump like twice than t9... The Magnificent will be the cutter of course, but cost way more and need an high rank.
Honestly the only thing I will modify on the type 9 is jump range, its ridiculous, all the rest of thing is ok, maybe more Hard points. But what it kill it is the jump range, too limited,....

To also be fair, the recent (ish) major buff to mines has made this a FAR more sensible ship.

Yes, in a straight up fight, you're going to lose. You're in a barge versus a battleship scenario, good luck.

But if someone's chasing you, a volley of shock mines can really put a hurting on them, and even with the T9's abysmal speed, a pursuer will flip back around eventually into the minefield...

I quite like my Type 9, She is a fat Space Cow, but as above with mines I have no issues with AI and occasional sub par combat players who run into the mines as well :)

Top Bottom