Record lightest Brown Dwarf

I just ran across one that ties the record of 0.0078 solar masses.

Hooray for this thing!

\o/
2fb63a44-d636-477b-b85a-09402d00de67.PNG

Stellar Forge is obviously broken here - you can't have a brown dwarf that's only 8 earth masses (which is what 0.0078 solar masses is roughly equal to). Heck, that's not even gas giant territory.

I think Earth's mass is more like 0.000003 solar masses, so 0.0078 solar masses is more like 2,600 Earths. That sounds OK for a brown dwarf, but it looks like it's only a little over 8 Jupiter masses, and brown dwarfs start at 13 according to wikipedia. I guess it might still be fudged, or the definitions may have changed. I suspect you meant to type "Jupiter" instead of "Earth". :)

Oh, bleh. I got my Jupiter masses and earth masses mixed up! (1000 earths = 1 Jupiter, 1000 Jupiters = 1 Solar mass)
8 jupiter masses is still basically a massive gas giant though, not a brown dwarf. Minimum mass for a BD is generally accepted to be around 12-13 Jupiter masses. Really that should be a Class IV (or V?) Gas Giant (there are plenty of Class IVs in the game that are more massive than this BD - Class IVs and Vs can either be hot because of proximity to the star or because they are high mass and radiating heat, and the Class IVs I've encountered are often 10-12 Jupiter masses).

Also, I seem to have come across 13 procedurally generated BDs (and a few TTS) with mass of 0.0078 solar masses. The one with the lowest temperature is a TTS at 218 K - the coldest BD I have is at 252 K.

It's certainly not the first time the StellarForge has cheated. I guess this is another one to add to the list, so to speak. :rolleyes::LOL:

Top Bottom