General / Off-Topic Recycle or Die! (the elite environmental thread)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The latest news from F u k ushima is that the attempt to make a frozen barrier to contain the water needed to cool the cores has failed, and that large amounts of radition is leaking into the ocean. Those news comes from Tepco, the owners of the plant.

Regarding the death toll: Noone knows. It's not only the immediate deaths caused by radiation sickness. It's the long term effects, and we still haven't got reliable data for that.

How much is "large amounts"? And yes, measuring long term effects is hard, my point is that it's not the end of the world when a nuclear accident happens and long term chemical poisoning is also a thing, the same applies to air pollution, it might not kill you today, but it can kill you next year.

It has been sugested to transport waste into space using rockets, but they have a bad habit of blowing up, spreading the waste into the atmosphere. A giant air cannon sounds like a better idea to me, but I'm not an expert on air cannons. It has to be shot more than a few hundred kilometers up. Otherwise It will rain down again.

I don't think an air cannon can do that, maybe a traditional cannon could but it'd need to be extremely large and AFAIK nothing like this has been built, the closest thing to it that I remember is the Paris Gun which shoot 106 Kg shells up to 43 Km into the air.

How much is "large amounts"? And yes, measuring long term effects is hard, my point is that it's not the end of the world when a nuclear accident happens and long term chemical poisoning is also a thing, the same applies to air pollution, it might not kill you today, but it can kill you next year.
It seems, when you do the numbers as I wrote earlier in this thread, that living in a polluted city is roughly as dangerous as smoking cigarettes. Real estate in cities should be marked with warnings similar to cigarette packages. I live in the city and I smoke, so hopefully I'll be gone before everything snaps. When people tell me to quit, I normally say "I've seen the future" and puff, but they don't understand what I mean.

Still, I feel bad every time I see a kid.

Edit: I think the question everyone should ask themselves before supporting nuclear energy is: "If it blows up or melts down, would you be willing to be one of those going in to clean it up?". If not, then nuclear energy is not an option.

Last edited:
It seems, when you do the numbers as I wrote earlier in this thread, that living in a polluted city is roughly as dangerous as smoking cigarettes. Real estate in cities should be marked with warnings similar to cigarette packages. I live in the city and I smoke, so hopefully I'll be gone before everything snaps. When people tell me to quit, I normally say "I've seen the future" and puff, but they don't understand what I mean.

Still, I feel bad every time I see a kid.

Edit: I think the question everyone should ask themselves before supporting nuclear energy is: "If it blows up or melts down, would you be willing to be one of those going in to clean it up?". If not, then nuclear energy is not an option.

Didn't they send machines to do the cleaning in Japan? I would think for the next disaster, something would be build to do the job.

Didn't they send machines to do the cleaning in Japan? I would think for the next disaster, something would be build to do the job.
This article tells about some of the recent challenges, and again remember this is from TEPCO:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/15/18225233/robot-nuclear-fuel-debris-ushima-reactor-japan

If it doesn't work, who volunteers?

Edit: I know the statistics are "shaky" and the numbers are rough, but in half a century we have had two major incidents, and we still only get 10% of our energy from fission. If, disregarding the lack of uranium, we were to replace fossil fuels with nuclear power plants, then we could expect an accident like Chernobyl roughly every second year?

Also, if cleaning up was just a question of making robots, why start after the accident? Why doesn't TEPCO have an army of robots already?

Last edited:
One of the (many) problems with using solar energy (that includes wind and water) is the lack of ability to store the energy for later use. That is what fossil fuels excel at. We have halfway solutions like batteries and hydrogen, but none of those will work on a global scale as they are. We do not have enough elements for making the batteries, and hydrogen is not as harmless as we think. Apart from hydrogen released by handling and storage spoiling the ozone layer, water vapor is a bad greenhouse gas, and I've yet to see calculations on the added effect of that. We use a LOT of energy right now, and we need to be able to continue doing that. Otherwise we won't be able to simply feed the global population. And food goes before energy, so in the long (short) run biofuels are dead in the water.

Since all this is relatively new to the wider public, a lot is still unknown. The Earth receives energy from the sun, mostly in the form of visible light, since UV is reflected by the atmosphere. The Earth radiates the same amount of energy in the form of IR. No energy stays. Otherwise Earth's temperature would build up much faster than what we see. Instead the light from the Sun is converted into IR, thereby creating a lot of entropy. That entropy normally leaves with the radiated IR into the Universe. It's the only place the system can dump entropy. That flow of energy and entropy is disrupted, when we use as much energy for doing work as we currently do.
I was still in school when Chernobyl happened and the area where I live had some of the last farms that still had to check for radiation before produce could be sold.
Then the government (rather arbitrarily) decided that levels were too low to worry about and stopped testing.
Certainly the fission route is at best a stop-gap as we still don't have a suitable decommissioning method.

With Solar there is the Desertec project, though this has rather stalled due to the political instability.
With regards to how to store energy we have the Dinorwig plant though that has its limits.
California has developed a system of weighted trains to store energy.

I was still in school when Chernobyl happened and the area where I live had some of the last farms that still had to check for radiation before produce could be sold.
Then the government (rather arbitrarily) decided that levels were too low to worry about and stopped testing.
Certainly the fission route is at best a stop-gap as we still don't have a suitable decommissioning method.

With Solar there is the Desertec project, though this has rather stalled due to the political instability.
With regards to how to store energy we have the Dinorwig plant though that has its limits.
In Sweden they solved the problem with contaminated reindeer meat by raising the limit. That one was already arbitrary, since we don't know what is unsafe. Abracadabra. Problem solved...

One thing that the Chernobyl series mentions was that the core melting through the containment onto the filled water tanks beneath the reactor, was hours away from causing a major explosion, that presumably would have caused enough fallout to have rendered a considerable part of the USSR and most of Eastern Europe uninhabitable. It didn't happen, because three people (two in the series) went in and manually opened the valves to enable pumping the tanks. They all died. Without their heroic action, I probably wouldn't be able to live where I live today.

I know the World is a tough place, but we don't have to make it worse.

The weighted train idea is pretty cool, but it also shows how far away we are from an actual solution, and that such a solution will demand high amounts of energy, resources and time to build. It won't happen if we wait.

Edit: The three workers are claimed to have survived. I find that highly unlikely, given the amount of radiation they received, and that other workers died after being in the same area.

Last edited:
I don’t understand why, while vaping is strictly prohibited, smoking is still not banned in Singapore. I always considered (correct me if I’m wrong) that vaping causes less damage to the environment then cigarette butts. Here a good article about the impact of smoking on the ecosystem https://vapingdaily.com/support/environmental-responsibility/.
The tobacco lobbies perhaps, who want to keep their privileges ?

And for the legislation concerning vaping.

Is forbidden :

Anything that looks or is designed to look like a tobacco product.

Is able to be smoked.

Can be used in such a way that it can mimic smoking.

Have the packaging looks like or is designed to look like the packaging typically associated with tobacco products.

This article tells about some of the recent challenges, and again remember this is from TEPCO:

If it doesn't work, who volunteers?

Edit: I know the statistics are "shaky" and the numbers are rough, but in half a century we have had two major incidents, and we still only get 10% of our energy from fission. If, disregarding the lack of uranium, we were to replace fossil fuels with nuclear power plants, then we could expect an accident like Chernobyl roughly every second year?

Also, if cleaning up was just a question of making robots, why start after the accident? Why doesn't TEPCO have an army of robots already?

But i think the point with Chernobyl was, that it happend because of the experiment they were conducting at the time. If they didn't do it, than it would have worked until this day, i assume. Its not like there was a fault with the plant it self that would cause it to explode.

And In Japan was due to Earthquake.

I think building Nuclear reactors near tectonic moving plates is a terrible idea. And they should put a ban on building Nuclear Reactors in areas with Earthquakes.

I don’t understand why, while vaping is strictly prohibited, smoking is still not banned in Singapore. I always considered (correct me if I’m wrong) that vaping causes less damage to the environment then cigarette butts. Here a good article about the impact of smoking on the ecosystem https://vapingdaily.com/support/environmental-responsibility/.
AFAIK, by far the largest part of deforestation is caused by the need for land to grow food, oil plants and sugars. Don't throw cigarettes in nature, and consider what happens to the ones you throw in the garbage bin.

But i think the point with Chernobyl was, that it happend because of the experiment they were conducting at the time. If they didn't do it, than it would have worked until this day, i assume. Its not like there was a fault with the plant it self that would cause it to explode.

I think building Nuclear reactors near tectonic moving plates is a terrible idea. And they should put a ban on building Nuclear Reactors in areas with Earthquakes.
Chernobyl was shutdown in 2000. Accidents happen all the time everywhere, from Windscale to Three Mile Island.
Even Trains taking material have been in accidents.

Chernobyl was shutdown in 2000. Accidents happen all the time everywhere, from Windscale to Three Mile Island.
Even Trains taking material have been in accidents.
It's still amazing that 2 biggest dissasters were because of Human error and Nature force, and not the plant design it self.
Considering this is a totaly new technologie. It's not like we copied it from some Ancient text, this is (presumed :alien:) our technologie made from scratch.

It's like with Apollo mission, you would think there would be massive dissasters when attempting to land on the Moon. But no, 7 successful launches, and 6 landing, and no death, after they were ready to go.

According to the official story nowadays, the reactor type the plant used, wasn't welly designed. In the case of a leak in the cooling system, the turbine might loose the steam pressure, and because the cooling system needed to displace gigantic amounts of water, the pumps for that task needed equally large amounts of electricity to run. A non-coolled core quickly goes unstable when the water turns into steam caused by the loss of pressure. Therefore a backup generator was in place, but the fuel engines for that need roughly a minute to achieve their required output. This was a problem, since there were many such plants already running.

Therefore it was tried on several occasions before the accident to find a solution to the problem, but also keeping the plants running, knowing that it was probably only a question of time before a disaster would happen. The idea was to use the momentum of the spinning turbine to generate the electricity needed by the pumps, but at earlier tests the turbine didn't have enough stored kinetic energy. Therefore it was decided to spin up the turbine before the experiment, which itself is a potential major risk, considering the construction of the plant. That was definitely known on high levels.

Something went wrong. We still don't know exactly what, but it was something completely different than in Japan. The only common factor being the both accidents were unforeseen, and should not have been able to happen.

Radiation is scary because it's invisible and potentially deadly, so you take as much care as possible, but you still make mistakes. I can say that from personal experience. It is not currently possible to rule out human error. The thing about a risk is that it is only a risk, until the accident happens. It like driving with your eyes closed. It works for a while. We can calculate all the potential dangers we know of like material weakness, but we can't calculate the unforeseen. We can only estimate that.

Edit: The potential problem tested was not a steam leak, but a power grid failure.

Last edited:

I was in the big house, at the time of Chernobyl. We suddenly started getting, loads of Lamb, for dinner.

In terms of energy storage we covered a few examples earlier in the thread (i don't know where), but things like that 'weighted train' is an example of such.

This sounds great, and from Australia no less (that country at the fore-front of being pro-coal and not caring about AGW):

'Australia to achieve 50% renewables by 2030 without government intervention, analysis finds':

Australia is on track to achieve 50% renewable electricity by 2030 even without new federal energy policies, according to modelling by the energy analysts RepuTex.

The analysis, to be released on Wednesday, suggests that a surge in renewable energy driven by state schemes and rooftop solar installations will reduce wholesale prices from $85 per MWh to $70 over the next three years.

Lower prices will make gas- and coal-fired power less competitive, even without a market mechanism to make fossil fuels reflect the cost of pollution or a direct constraint on emissions, although a lack of federal policy could lead to longer-term price rises, RepuTex found.

Even the US is reducing it's CO2 emissions despite the admin's efforts. It seems their businesses have different priorities though there has been a spike in 2018 the use of renewable energy etc. makes their operations more efficient and thus more profitable.
Where the US is really lagging is the development of new technology due to the lack of government support.
4 of the top 5 companies in the field are Chinese due to Beijing's investment in the sector and the tech gap is growing.
Relying on politicians to find a way out (in more than one situation) looks increasingly unlikely and it is coming down to businesses and individuals to deal with what's happening.

Last edited:
Even the US is reducing it's CO2 emissions despite the admin's efforts. It seems their businesses have different priorities though there has been a spike in 2018 the use of renewable energy etc. makes their operations more efficient and thus more profitable.
Where the US is really lagging is the development of new technology due to the lack of government support.
4 of the top 5 companies in the field are Chinese due to Beijing's investment in the sector and the tech gap is growing.
Relying on politicians to find a way out (in more than one situation) looks increasingly unlikely and it is coming down to businesses and individuals to deal with what's happening.

Not sure where you read it, but even BBC showed the opposite data for the US: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-46801108

Interesting fact, US, China and India countries are responsible for 50% of Fossile fuel emisions. And none of them really addressing it at all, even US current administration went the opposite way. Looks like they don't believe in doomsday theories either :sneaky:

Another fun fact? Nuclear Power is much Greener than even Solar PV :whistle:

greenhouse-gas-emissions.png.aspx

http://www.world-nuclear.org/nuclear-basics/greenhouse-gas-emissions-avoided.aspx

Last edited:
Here though the forum isn't letting me post the graphs.
As I stated the US emissions did spike in 2018 but had generally stabilized till 2013
Again the BBC data for 2018 shows opposite, so we have to wait until 2020 to see how it progress in 2019. But so far US emmision since new Administration took over, have increased last year according with new Administration policies.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom