Relative Mouse mode

That's actually really helpful, thanks both of you.

One thing I was considering doing after I got back in bubble was forcing myself to practice with the gyro headlook on at all times (but with min sensitivity - for the same reason you were using a huge deadzone, PeLucheuh).

I might still give that a shot to see if it ever starts to "feel" natural but if it doesn't, at least I'll know it's a common reaction not just me being unpracticed.

You guys all think you're so special playing on your HOTAS's/gamepads/mouses & keyboards? Try full FA Off PvP on one of these bad boys and then get back to me about how tough you have it:

You jest, but I FA-off docked the other day on my ultrabook using the trackpad before going into the menu to rebind the FA-off toggle to a key my laptop actually had on its keyboard. Tap twice and hold to drag is quite the ball-ache for small adjustments, lol.

That's actually really helpful, thanks both of you.

One thing I was considering doing after I got back in bubble was forcing myself to practice with the gyro headlook on at all times (but with min sensitivity - for the same reason you were using a huge deadzone, PeLucheuh).

As much as I enjoy the headlook in VR, I actually prefer combat without it. When your target is offscreen you usually still have their little triangle on your HUD, assuming you're not just following the engine trails anyway. I think I had a better feel for my ships speed and drift direction with a fixed viewpoint, and it sure makes aiming railguns easier when the reticule stays perfectly still.

Last edited:
Same goes for non-mouse axes on PC. The game itself should strive to provide all reasonable options possible, both so that third party utilities aren't necessary and so they can be prohibited, to put people on as level a playing field as possible.

Certainly, and one's tools are often used as a scapegoat for lack of experience or a flawed approach, but tools still matter. The trick is knowing how much, if any, handicap is a result of one's tools, and how to work around such limitations...not to flatly deny the possibility of a handicap, or waste time working through an unassailable limitation, rather than finding an approach more conducive to the tools on hand.

This is one of the biggest things that burned me about the control schemes for MWO. The way their input is arranged from a programming perspective, there is a legit difference and delay for HOTAS-based controllers over digimice due to the way the game reads the input. No amount of gitting gud with stix was going to fix it; better to just use a mouse than wrangle a HOTAS into almost being kind of close to par. I'm holding out that MW5 may not be saddled with this arrangement, but I'm not holding my breath either.

faon isnt unplayable with relative mouse on ,

I happily use FA-on and relative mouse.

My only wish is that FDev would tweak the return-rate slider so that the minimum value returns slower. For whatever stupid reason, their slowest return rate still centers the mouse widget to center in about a second, which is dumb for a game where most ships take far longer than that to execute even a half-turn.

I can't believe what I'm reading...

Are there only relative-mouse-lamers left? What do you want.. a best of two worlds comfort function? Why not directly a "Win All" button?!

It's already like cheating with relative mouse. Your playstyle destroys the overall gameplay of Elite. Even the NPCS adopt this limited drift-into-nowhere and point-click-the-target behavior. The mess is there and I can understand that frontier can't take it away again, but a toggle-function is to much for me.. really! I miss the old days...

Please Frontier, save your game from mediocrity! o7

PS: For all the mouse users: You can roll your ship if you forgot! :p

What would toggle change in your life? Who uses relative mouse - uses it all the time. They only get ed off in super cruise for no reason. if you are playing with joystick/hotas whatever you have benefits of both relative and normal mouse at the same time so whats the point?

Yes

Also, suggestions on flying relative with low slider is useful but would rather keep the mid-lvl slider and swap back and forth. FA-Off, turn on Relative...

I use a KB+M combination, but more accurately, a keyboard and multi-button trackball combination (Logitech, [among others], makes several styles, left or right-handed) - The keyboard is set up to my personal pref's, ( space bar for boost as an example), same with the trackball buttons also, - A trackball gives the player 720 degrees of maneuvering - meaning yaw and roll at the same time, etc. - or any other combination of functions for piloting your ship without the clumsiness of the logic squares of 90 degrees allowed by your typical mouse ( up, down - left, right).
https://www.google.com/search?q=log...MkdnjAhWiAp0JHWUBCF8Q_AUIEigC&biw=942&bih=428

Top Bottom